Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2012, 11:15 PM

4,734 posts, read 4,328,913 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
Maybe Obama's strategy is to secure the "bases" first and then he can devote the rest of the months toward the general public ? How does a presidential candidate address white americans specifically? Like what Reagan used to do when he talked about states' rights? No candidate in this day and time is going to come out and say, "OK, white people, this is what I have for you!" without looking like a goofy racist. I think that Obama's hand was forced to give his amnesty program to the "hispanic" base to get the troops out to vote, in the hope that this will be forgotten as Election Day looms closer. Seriously, what's a discriminated person going to do? vote for romney?
I'm sure his strategy does involve securing the base voters first, which is fine. At the same time, though, he also needs to secure a broad cross-section of voters, and as I pointed out, I don't think this is necessarily Obama's problem; it's a democratic party problem.

Maybe what I'm criticising them for isn't entirely fair. To be sure, the republicans have done a pretty effective job at drowning out the democratic message, but in all honesty, they should have known that was coming. There was never, ever going to be bi-partisanship, and to hope that there would be was naive. They needed a communications and political strategy that connected and resonated with a broad spectrum of people; instead, I think they've zeroed in on special classes of people, which is fine, but somewhere in there, the message that has come out is that they're only concerned with these special protected classes -- gays, women, the poor, the uninsured, African Americans, Latin Americans.

There are probably millions of white males out there who only a few years ago were planning for their retirement, planning for their own small business dream, or planning to join the workforce. And here's where I'm going with this: on tax reform, for instance, all of the talking points seem to lead democrats toward a consensus that taxes need to be raised on anyone earning over $250,000/year. The assumption being that everyone earning over this amount is 'rich', and everyone under it deserves a break. Now, for the record, I actually support a lot of tax reform - esp. in terms of closing loopholes for the corporations and mega-rich - but the democrats have lumped in small business entrepreneurs with the Exxons of the world. Throw in all of teh confusion - fair or not - over the healthcare law, and suddenly, you have an administration, and 1/2 of congress, that appears to be anti-small business, anti medical or legal proprietor, anti-anyone who's finally getting somewhere in this economy. The democrats operate on what is, quite frankly, an outdated notion of what an American businessman and laborer are. I think that's the point I'm making. When whites look around, they see Democrats coming after their money, and the ones who don't have money seem to be ignored or skipped over altogether. Republicans are talking to them. Yes, they're lying their asses off and they're playing on their fears, but again, the Democrats should know that. They're just being delusional, I think. I'm not the only one who's made this point, either; Howard Dean pointed it out in 2004 and caught hell for it...but he was right on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2012, 11:37 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,756,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
I'm sure his strategy does involve securing the base voters first, which is fine. At the same time, though, he also needs to secure a broad cross-section of voters, and as I pointed out, I don't think this is necessarily Obama's problem; it's a democratic party problem.

Maybe what I'm criticising them for isn't entirely fair. To be sure, the republicans have done a pretty effective job at drowning out the democratic message, but in all honesty, they should have known that was coming. There was never, ever going to be bi-partisanship, and to hope that there would be was naive. They needed a communications and political strategy that connected and resonated with a broad spectrum of people; instead, I think they've zeroed in on special classes of people, which is fine, but somewhere in there, the message that has come out is that they're only concerned with these special protected classes -- gays, women, the poor, the uninsured, African Americans, Latin Americans.

There are probably millions of white males out there who only a few years ago were planning for their retirement, planning for their own small business dream, or planning to join the workforce. And here's where I'm going with this: on tax reform, for instance, all of the talking points seem to lead democrats toward a consensus that taxes need to be raised on anyone earning over $250,000/year. The assumption being that everyone earning over this amount is 'rich', and everyone under it deserves a break. Now, for the record, I actually support a lot of tax reform - esp. in terms of closing loopholes for the corporations and mega-rich - but the democrats have lumped in small business entrepreneurs with the Exxons of the world. Throw in all of teh confusion - fair or not - over the healthcare law, and suddenly, you have an administration, and 1/2 of congress, that appears to be anti-small business, anti medical or legal proprietor, anti-anyone who's finally getting somewhere in this economy. The democrats operate on what is, quite frankly, an outdated notion of what an American businessman and laborer are. I think that's the point I'm making. When whites look around, they see Democrats coming after their money, and the ones who don't have money seem to be ignored or skipped over altogether. Republicans are talking to them. Yes, they're lying their asses off and they're playing on their fears, but again, the Democrats should know that. They're just being delusional, I think. I'm not the only one who's made this point, either; Howard Dean pointed it out in 2004 and caught hell for it...but he was right on.
No offense, but I don't buy any of this. The typical white person with half a brain can see the GOP has been disingenuously trying to pin an epic meltdown on Obama, who seems quite level headed in comparison. Instead of helping our country in this terrible time of crisis, the GOP has been brewing up outrage at the deficit spending that was necessary to stabilize the economy and put food in the bellies of children. Pure phony political theater. I think your typical white voter is smart enough to connect the dots, and none of them suggest to me, at least, that the GOP holds any plan or for that matter good will for the American people. They have only proven they are unfit to lead. In contrast, Obama seems like a guy who is acting like a grown up and trying to do what needs to be done, despite overwhelming obstacles and a ****bird congress. Is Romney terrible? No. But the rest of the team is, and that will decide the election among independents.

Old 06-24-2012, 11:49 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,446,502 times
The Democrat working class implosion will be regarded historically as an epic fail.

Old 06-25-2012, 12:24 AM

9,982 posts, read 13,756,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
The Democrat working class implosion will be regarded historically as an epic fail.
Perhaps. Or it might be seen as the outcome of a relentless propaganda program from those who support places like Fox New, Limbaugh,etc. which have somehow managed to convince the white boomer/ Gen. X worker that people like Mitt Romney are heros to be worshipped and protected, that tax cuts bolster revenue, and to scapegoat the public school teacher, firemen, scientists, park rangers, nurses, and of course, the poor. An epic snowjob, and it has been definitely been pretty successful. However, I think it will be shortlived.

I don't see the young people of this country, who are basically screwed for the most part, running into the loving arms of the GOP. They are well-educated, and they are pissed. With good reason.

Old 06-25-2012, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
No offense, but I don't buy any of this. The typical white person with half a brain can see the GOP has been disingenuously trying to pin an epic meltdown on Obama, who seems quite level headed in comparison. Instead of helping our country in this terrible time of crisis, the GOP has been brewing up outrage at the deficit spending that was necessary to stabilize the economy and put food in the bellies of children. Pure phony political theater. I think your typical white voter is smart enough to connect the dots, and none of them suggest to me, at least, that the GOP holds any plan or for that matter good will for the American people. They have only proven they are unfit to lead. In contrast, Obama seems like a guy who is acting like a grown up and trying to do what needs to be done, despite overwhelming obstacles and a ****bird congress. Is Romney terrible? No. But the rest of the team is, and that will decide the election among independents.
I don't care if you buy none of it; the results will show that it's the truth. The typical white person is poorer than he was 4 years ago, has fewer prospects for employment than he did 4 years ago, and has less of a chance of realizing the American dream of owning his own business and home than he did 4 years ago. The world he grew up in, with America being the lone superpower that survived the world; the country that had cheap gas; the country that had immigrants but kept them under control; and the country that had easy opportunities for suburban white guys...that America is gone. And they're wondering where it went.

I agree that it's absolutely unfair that Obama's getting blamed for it, and I agree that the republicans are looking out for their own self-interest. However, while the democrats are indeed supporting worthwhile goals, it's like I said in the previous post: none of Obama's rhetoric seems to square with their concerns. At a time when white men are losing the American dream, Obama's priorities are healthcare for 15 percent of the population; marriage for gays; and amnesty for illegals. That may not be fair, and that may not be accurate, but that's the way it looks, and that's what Fox News and CNN are telling them, and guess what -- white boys are believing it. Obama's support among whites is at a near all-time low for incumbents. Some of it is surely racial bias, but not all of it. And democrats had better be careful about assuming that it is only about race, cause it ain't.

Old 06-25-2012, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
I don't see the young people of this country, who are basically screwed for the most part, running into the loving arms of the GOP. They are well-educated, and they are pissed. With good reason.
I disagree; I think they're confused and maybe even apathetic at this point. What else can one do when superpacs can dump a trillion dollars into an election? Grass roots is an endangered species. Maybe it's time to just quit on America and move to another country.

Old 06-25-2012, 09:02 AM

11,431 posts, read 18,994,733 times
[quote=chickenfriedbananas;24890134]I'm sure his strategy does involve securing the base voters first, which is fine. At the same time, though, he also needs to secure a broad cross-section of voters, and as I pointed out, I don't think this is necessarily Obama's problem; it's a democratic party problem.

There are probably millions of white males out there who only a few years ago were planning for their retirement, planning for their own small business dream, or planning to join the workforce. And here's where I'm going with this: on tax reform, for instance, all of the talking points seem to lead democrats toward a consensus that taxes need to be raised on anyone earning over $250,000/year. The assumption being that everyone earning over this amount is 'rich', and everyone under it deserves a break. Now, for the record, I actually support a lot of tax reform - esp. in terms of closing loopholes for the corporations and mega-rich - but the democrats have lumped in small business entrepreneurs with the Exxons of the world. Throw in all of teh confusion - fair or not - over the healthcare law, and suddenly, you have an administration, and 1/2 of congress, that appears to be anti-small business, anti medical or legal proprietor, anti-anyone who's finally getting somewhere in this economy. The democrats operate on what is, quite frankly, an outdated notion of what an American businessman and laborer are. I think that's the point I'm making. When whites look around, they see Democrats coming after their money, and the ones who don't have money seem to be ignored or skipped over altogether. Republicans are talking to them. Yes, they're lying their asses off and they're playing on their fears, but again, the Democrats should know that. They're just being delusional, I think. I'm not the only one who's made this point, either; Howard Dean pointed it out in 2004 and caught hell for it...but he was right on.[/QUOT

It might look like Dems are ignoring white voters, but I don't think that it's true. Your paragraph only mentioned poor white ppl in only one sentence. I think that you'll see a much stronger pitch toward them in the next few months. I'd also like to see tax reforms, not only for corporations, but for everyone. Everyone needs to pay some taxes! With all of the tax credits given to Bush's special interest groups, it's no wonder that only 50% of us actually pay taxes. Romney is a weak candidate because of his Bain background, Cayman Islands investments, mormon religion, etc. Once Obama hits the Midwest campaign trail, I expect that his campaign will pick up steam.

Old 06-25-2012, 09:18 AM

749 posts, read 838,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enemy country View Post
Obama never had the white vote from the south which is a big part of this. Put romney in and show us that racism still works
Do you own a house? I own one too. I'll bet you my deed against your deed that a higher percentage of white people vote for Obama in Nov, than do the percentage of black people that vote for Romney.

In fact, if there is less than 30% difference between the two, you may consider yourself the new owner of a nice home on the California coastline.

But believe me, I'm not worried about handing it over just yet...

Old 06-25-2012, 09:47 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,943,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Yes, because we all know that it's better to vote for the Republicans' whose actual economic policies are less likely to protect the working class' safety, less likely to protect their jobs, and less likely to benefit them economically -- than the Democrats whose policies protect the working class.

Old 06-25-2012, 09:54 AM

30,058 posts, read 18,655,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
Yes, because we all know that it's better to vote for the Republicans' whose actual economic policies are less likely to protect the working class' safety, less likely to protect their jobs, and less likely to benefit them economically -- than the Democrats whose policies protect the working class.
Right-

Tell that to the unemployed and the college grads living in their parent's basements. Despite the continual democratic claim that they support "the working man", in practice, they appear to do the opposite. Witness-

NAFTA
China most favored nation trade status
opposition to national right to work act
EPA and energy regulations which reduce employment
Obamacare which has prevented businesses from hiring
The worst economy and employment stats since Carter

If you really like being unemployed and poor- vote Obama. He has created the largest cohort of poor, unemployed citizens since the great depression. If the libs really wanted to help the working class, they would work to create a business environment favorable to jobs. Liberal policy does exactly the opposite and focuses on social issues, rather than the economic health of the nation. No one cares about gay marriage when they are broke, unemployed, and have no prospects for the future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections