Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2012, 03:23 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,464,090 times

Advertisements

Some of the Democrats/liberals on this forum go on and on about how Romney's lack of support among Hispanics (not to mention that Obama's support among Hispanics is actually below his 2008 levels according to most polls and remains below his 2008 levels according to polls even after the policy change he announced last week), but no one ever talks about Obama's lack of support among whites. I'm sure someone will call me racist for posting this thread. I am certainly not trying to be - I'm simply posting a well-done article and hope to have a quality discussion. The reality is that, as of right now, Obama's support among white voters is too low for him to win even with his support among minority voters.

WARNING: This type of thread has the potential to turn into a train wreck and there are a lot of posters on the forum who like to post troll threads about racial issues and troll up all the threads having anything to do with race. This is mainly on the main P & OC forum, but they may venture onto the Election sub-forum to troll on this thread. I will not hesitate to ask the mods to close this thread if it goes off topic or to report troll posts.

Obama's White Support Is Too Low to Win | RealClearPolitics
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2012, 03:32 PM

4,734 posts, read 4,330,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Some of the Democrats/liberals on this forum go on and on about how Romney's lack of support among Hispanics (not to mention that Obama's support among Hispanics is actually below his 2008 levels and remains below his 2008 levels even after the policy change he announced last week), but no one ever talks about Obama's lack of support among whites. I'm sure someone will call me racist for posting this thread. I am certainly not trying to be - I'm simply posting a well-done article and hope to have a quality discussion. The reality is that, as of right now, Obama's support among white voters is too low for him to win even with his support among minority voters.

WARNING: This type of thread has the potential to turn into a train wreck and there are a lot of posters on the forum who like to post troll threads about racial issues and troll up all the threads having anything to do with race. This is mainly on the main P & OC forum, but they may venture onto the Election sub-forum to troll on this thread. I will report any posts that cross the line.

Obama's White Support Is Too Low to Win | RealClearPolitics
Uninspired Obama voter here, but I get what you're saying, and I don't think it's necessarily racist to point this out.

In some cases, yes, the lack of support has to do with racial bias. I think there are probably 20-30 percent of whites who would really have a hard time voting for Obama under any circumstances. In some cases, I think people are openly bigoted towards him; in other cases, I think people might have biases against Obama but may not be willing to admit it to themselves.

However, for the remainder of whites, I think there are many who would be open to supporting him. The problem as I see it is that Obama and the Democrats have not addressed the concerns of white Americans specifically, partly because doing so in such an overt way is a political minefield for the progressives. They depend on a fragile multiethnic coalition to win elections, which can fracture if one group appears to be too closely catered to. However, a lot of whites have been gutted by this economy, and they need to feel reassured. When they see democrats on television, they see lobbying to Hispanic groups, lobbying to women, lobbying to blacks, and lobbying to gays. They don't see the concerns of whites being discussed in a way that is recognizable, particularly white males.

Old 06-22-2012, 04:38 PM

1,635 posts, read 1,593,822 times
Obama has pretty much given white working class voters the back of his hand. His blocking of Keystone pipeline,his amnesty push,and promotion of same sex marriage don't help him.

Old 06-22-2012, 04:59 PM

4,734 posts, read 4,330,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric Blue View Post
Obama has pretty much given white working class voters the back of his hand. His blocking of Keystone pipeline,his amnesty push,and promotion of same sex marriage don't help him.
I don't think that is the case at all...in fact.

I do think, however, that it is the case in terms of perception. Some of this is political entrapment, like jumping all over his ass about the comments in response to a reporter's question about Trayvon Martin. I mean, christ, you'd think he had joined the Black Panthers the way that Fox News reported that.

I guess what bothers me -- and maybe this is being petty and small-minded -- is the fact that Obama and his team have seem somewhat unprepared for the onslaught at times. The democrats don't seem to tap into the spirit of what's on the minds of Americans. It's a problem they've had for a while now.

Old 06-22-2012, 05:04 PM

8,145 posts, read 6,532,697 times
Obama never had the white vote from the south which is a big part of this. Put romney in and show us that racism still works

Old 06-22-2012, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enemy country View Post
Obama never had the white vote from the south which is a big part of this.
Did you read the article?

Quote:
Originally Posted by enemy country View Post
Put romney in and show us that racism still works
What is the point of this comment? There are many reasons to oppose Obama other than racism. I could say just as easily that all opposition to Romney has to do with religious intolerance as you can say that all opposition to Obama has to do with racism. Remember that Romney is a minority (a religious minority) himself.

Old 06-22-2012, 07:26 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,820,368 times
The standing President lacks support from whites AND blacks...who are we kidding here? Blacks have had ample opportunity in the last four years to figure out that Obama is not a black savior. You discredit the black voter by suggesting they are not intelligent to understand what white voters understand. This leader is a failure- whites know it and blacks know it...this issue is a non-starter...There is only one problem- What is available to sit in the big chair is an unknown and probably of slightly better quality than the sitting President. The next five years will be as uneventful as the last four.

Old 06-22-2012, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
However, for the remainder of whites, I think there are many who would be open to supporting him. The problem as I see it is that Obama and the Democrats have not addressed the concerns of white Americans specifically, partly because doing so in such an overt way is a political minefield for the progressives. They depend on a fragile multiethnic coalition to win elections, which can fracture if one group appears to be too closely catered to. However, a lot of whites have been gutted by this economy, and they need to feel reassured. When they see democrats on television, they see lobbying to Hispanic groups, lobbying to women, lobbying to blacks, and lobbying to gays. They don't see the concerns of whites being discussed in a way that is recognizable, particularly white males.
You and I disagree more often than not, but I do agree with you to some extent here.

Here's how I see it. I think Democratic voters are simply a coalition of different minority groups (blacks, most Hispanics, most union members, most gays, etc.) that aren't necessarily unified and that don't necessarily have much in common. Some people say this about Republicans, but your average middle class Americans (who, yes, are predominately white....that's - for now - just reality) do tend to vote Republican.

Notice I didn't include women because, besides the fact that they're not a minority group, white women do lean Republican despite the Democrats' efforts to attract women as a whole.

Nevertheless, while these minority groups plus the relatively small percentage of whites who are liberal/very liberal have become the Democrats' base, they have become a large enough portion of the population, for Democrats to win elections when they can also get enough support from independents (who do tend to be white). It looks like - right now, Obama does not have enough support from these voters to win.

I think Democrats have a lot of work to do with white voters, but I also think that Republicans have a lot of work to do with minority voters who will become a greater portion of the electorate over the long-term. I think a lot of whites who vote Republican agree with the Democrats more ideologically, but I also think a lot of minorities who vote Democrat agree with the Republicans more ideologically.

Last edited by afoigrokerkok; 06-22-2012 at 08:08 PM..

Old 06-22-2012, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric Blue View Post
Obama has pretty much given white working class voters the back of his hand.
It's not just working class whites. It's college educated whites too.

Old 06-22-2012, 07:42 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,903,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
You and I disagree more often than not, but I do agree with you to some extent here.

Here's how I see it. I think Democratic voters are simply a coalition of different minority groups (blacks, Hispanics, union members, gays, etc.) that aren't necessarily unified and that don't necessarily have much in common. Some people say this about Republicans, but your average middle class Americans (who, yes, are predominately white....that's - for now - just reality) do tend to vote Republican.

Notice I didn't include women because, besides the fact that they're not a minority group, white women do lean Republican despite the Democrats' efforts to attract women as a whole.

Nevertheless, while these minority groups plus the relatively small percentage of whites who are liberal/very liberal have become the Democrats' base, they have become a large enough portion of the population, for Democrats to win elections when they can also get enough support from independents (who do tend to be white). It looks like - right now, Obama does not have enough support from these voters to win.

I think Democrats have a lot of work to do with white voters, but I also think that Republicans have a lot of work to do with minority voters who will become a greater portion of the electorate over the long-term. I think a lot of whites who vote Republican agree with the Democrats more ideologically, but I also think a lot of minorities who vote Democrat agree with the Republicans more ideologically.
I'm 1 of those "white" voters who voted for Obama in 2008 and WON'T do it again.

1 thing about "minorities" is they become more conservative as they do better in the US they become full on "American". Us "Irish" used to love the Dems; as we became accepted by "anglos" and were counted as "anglos", we no longer have use for people like Chicago's Daleys and so on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections