Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 07:47 AM

6,163 posts, read 7,241,304 times

Advertisements

Romney's hypocrisy is amazing. He made millions in investing in companies that outsourced jobs. and as governor he outsourced. Romney was part of the problem that eventually led to the meltdown in 2008. Now he tells the Florida Governor to downplay good economic news in Florida.

Romney's amazing hypocrisy - CNN.com

"Romney urged Florida Gov. Rick Scott to downplay good economic news in the Sunshine State. It's his way of sending a signal to Republican governors in states where the economy is improving -- in the battlegrounds of Virginia, Ohio and elsewhere -- to be quiet. Obscure the truth, he begs. Obstruct any progress."

"But these governors know better. Scott continues to tout Florida's economic recovery, as he should. Virginia Gov. Bob McDonnell notes that the state's 5.6% unemployment is the lowest in three years -- in other words, it's been falling since Obama's policies took effect."

BTW
. The poll in the article shows Obama leading Romney in Florida. If Obama wins Florida, he can lose all the other battleground states and still get re-elected.

Obama leads Romney, 46 percent to 42 percent, in a Quinnipiac University poll released today, a shift from May when the Republican was in the lead, 47 percent to 41 percent.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-0...job-gains.html

Ohio's unemployment rate has been falling too. 75,700 jobs have been added during the past year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2012, 07:54 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,186,917 times
Mitt Romney had a 4.5% unemployment rate in his state. I guess you think he did a fabulous job and will be voting for him since you are now celebrating a 5.6% one.

p.s. its a duplicate thread

Old 06-26-2012, 09:21 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,469,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Mitt Romney had a 4.5% unemployment rate in his state. I guess you think he did a fabulous job and will be voting for him since you are now celebrating a 5.6% one.
"Both Massachusetts and the U.S. saw unemployment rates drop during Romney’s governorship. Unemployment declined during that period because the economy was recovering from a recession. If you take the numbers from January 2003 to January 2007 -- Romney’s first and last months in office -- you find a drop of 1.2 percentage points nationally (from 5.8 percent to 4.6 percent) and 1.0 points in Massachusetts (from 5.6 percent to 4.6 percent). That's not much of a difference."

PolitiFact | Mitt Romney says he reduced Massachusetts unemployment to 4.7 percent

In other words, MA saw less improvement with Romney, than the rest of the country did without him! Which also kinda explains why MA ended up finishing in 47th place in job creation (but just ahead of Louisiana... way 'ta go, Mitt)!!

Old 06-26-2012, 11:12 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,875,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
Romney's hypocrisy is amazing. He made millions in investing in companies that outsourced jobs. and as governor he outsourced. Romney was part of the problem that eventually led to the meltdown in 2008. Now he tells the Florida Governor to downplay good economic news in Florida.

Romney's amazing hypocrisy - CNN.com

"Romney urged Florida Gov. Rick Scott to downplay good economic news in the Sunshine State. It's his way of sending a signal to Republican governors in states where the economy is improving -- in the battlegrounds of Virginia, Ohio and elsewhere -- to be quiet. Obscure the truth, he begs. Obstruct any progress."

"But these governors know better. Scott continues to tout Florida's economic recovery, as he should. Virginia Gov. Bob McDonnell notes that the state's 5.6% unemployment is the lowest in three years -- in other words, it's been falling since Obama's policies took effect."

BTW
. The poll in the article shows Obama leading Romney in Florida. If Obama wins Florida, he can lose all the other battleground states and still get re-elected.

Obama leads Romney, 46 percent to 42 percent, in a Quinnipiac University poll released today, a shift from May when the Republican was in the lead, 47 percent to 41 percent.

Romney Campaign Said to Ask Scott to Downplay Job Gains - Bloomberg

Ohio's unemployment rate has been falling too. 75,700 jobs have been added during the past year.
The economy is improving? wow that is a surprise to most. As for who is leading in Florida, it seems these polls change daily, as for anything on bloomberg.com we can pretty well disregard that as it is probably 1/2 truth at best and totally wrong at worst.

Old 06-26-2012, 11:17 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,186,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
"Both Massachusetts and the U.S. saw unemployment rates drop during Romney’s governorship. Unemployment declined during that period because the economy was recovering from a recession. If you take the numbers from January 2003 to January 2007 -- Romney’s first and last months in office -- you find a drop of 1.2 percentage points nationally (from 5.8 percent to 4.6 percent) and 1.0 points in Massachusetts (from 5.6 percent to 4.6 percent). That's not much of a difference."

PolitiFact | Mitt Romney says he reduced Massachusetts unemployment to 4.7 percent

In other words, MA saw less improvement with Romney, than the rest of the country did without him! Which also kinda explains why MA ended up finishing in 47th place in job creation (but just ahead of Louisiana... way 'ta go, Mitt)!!
When you have such low unemployment numbers, its harder to create jobs.. How can you employ more people than there are people?

And there sure in hell is a hug difference between 8.5%, and 4.6%.

Old 06-26-2012, 11:31 AM

8,754 posts, read 10,184,083 times
Absolutely NOTHING indicates that the economy is improving. However, if Obama is running on that fairytale, he will lose and big. The American people are intelligent enough to know what they are experiencing.

Old 06-26-2012, 12:02 PM

2,085 posts, read 2,144,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
Absolutely NOTHING indicates that the economy is improving. However, if Obama is running on that fairytale, he will lose and big. The American people are intelligent enough to know what they are experiencing.
This...I think President Obama thinks that he can speak prosperity into existence. I noticed that he keeps speaking positively of the state of the economy, regardless of the situation on the ground. But I think he may be underestimating how impacted americans are by what they are experiencing and by what they see around them..

Its not just a matter of looking around and saying: "Welp, Im barely making ends meet myself, but The Administration says that everything is improving drastically, so my situation must just be an anomaly."...

There's more to it than that...People arent blind, and they arent numb to whats happening -- or not happening within their own families.

And saying "just give me more time, to make it so that YOU can feel the improvement yourself" isnt the same thing as saying "things are currently good across the board"

Really, you can just sit in a coffee shop/supermarket cafe in just about any major urban area, and eavesdrop on conversations and tell that the majority of everyday people are woefully unimpressed with the state of the economy and the national culture in general. The things I hear from most people I come across nowdays, do not bode well in Obama's favor.

Last edited by soletaire; 06-26-2012 at 12:16 PM..

Old 06-26-2012, 12:05 PM

3,045 posts, read 3,196,958 times
Please stop with the rhetoric. Of course Romney isn't going to go out of his way to highlight economic indicators. The overall electorate in the United States is pretty stupid. They're going to vote largely upon how things are right now even if the President has little to do with it. Romney is far from stupid. There are plenty of things on which you can call him on, but this isn't one of them.

Old 06-26-2012, 12:22 PM

4,412 posts, read 3,964,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soletaire View Post
This...I think President Obama thinks that he can speak prosperity into existence. I noticed that he keeps speaking positively of the state of the economy, regardless of the situation on the ground. But I think he may be underestimating how impacted americans are by what they are experiencing and by what they see around them..

Its not just a matter of looking around and saying: "Welp, Im barely making ends meet myself, but The Administration says that everything is improving drastically, so my situation must just be an anomaly."...

There's more to it than that...People arent blind, and they arent numb to whats happening -- or not happening within their own families.

And saying "just give me more time, to make it so that YOU can feel the improvement yourself" isnt the same thing as saying "things are currently good across the board"

Really, you can just sit in a coffee shop/supermarket cafe in just about any major urban area, and eavesdrop on conversations and tell that the majority of everyday people are woefully unimpressed with the state of the economy and the national culture in general. The things I hear from most people I come across nowdays, do not bode well in Obama's favor.
Assuming that your anecdotal evidence is more than just anecdotal, then why is the Romney campaign telling Republican Governor to not brag about their economic successes?

The responses in this thread have been "The economy is not improving!" Does that mean that Rick Scott and other Republican governors are lying?

Old 06-26-2012, 12:28 PM

749 posts, read 839,651 times
I said here months ago that when we begin closing in on November, they'd cook the stats to make it appear as though things were turning around, and therefore, 4 more years of this guy is what this country needs. They know all too well that his constituents are blind enough and willing enough to ask for a second helping of his steaming drivel.

If they can't get him re-elected on his own merit, then they'll do it through bull****. After all, there's already a recent enough precedent on that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections