U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 02:10 AM

11,531 posts, read 9,329,918 times

Advertisements

Since there are many Romney's, which one will he be if he loses. I know if he wins the GOP will say Conservative Romney won, but what if he loses?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2012, 03:48 AM
Status: "Welcome to Orwell's 1984 -- Make Orwell Fiction Again!!" (set 12 days ago)

11,033 posts, read 5,164,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
Since there are many Romney's, which one will he be if he loses. I know if he wins the GOP will say Conservative Romney won, but what if he loses?
The script is already written on that. Romney was the "not conservative enough" candidate throughout the primaries so if he loses the election the GOP will take it as a lesson learned: "Moderates can't win the White House." Green light for Santorum or somebody else equally conservative to win the nomination 2016.

I don't think any Republicans have any illusions that Romney is an ultra-Conservative Republican. He' isn't. If he wins then it affirms the wisdom that "having a GOP nominee that is moderate enough to work with both parties is the best chance for victory" is still true.

One minor reason I (a dead center Independent) am hesitantly supporting Romney: I think the GOP has run a long ways to the right and needs to work their way back closer to sanity (aka modernization.) To answer the question before it's asked: My main reason is that I feel Obama is a catastrophic failure as a president.

Old 06-28-2012, 05:51 AM

32,451 posts, read 13,533,497 times
Quote:
You know? The gop hasn't referred to Mittens as conservative. Did the gop refer to Cain, Bachmann, Newt, Pawlenty, and Santorum as conservatives? oh wait, they did and none of those candidates are conservative. So I guess you could be right.
The republican party has lost it's way and will say or do anything to the mundanes. Luckily the Dems are worse right now so some of the heat is off the repubs. Bunch of snake oil salesmen.

Old 06-28-2012, 05:54 AM

20,950 posts, read 17,305,679 times
Yea, because Obama has proven to be a man of solid principles and truthfulness.

Old 06-28-2012, 07:16 AM

5,943 posts, read 5,125,937 times
Default If Romney loses, will Republicans say liberal Romney lost?

When Romney loses, he'll be branded a RINO by the wingnuts. The ones who selected him by a wide margin.

Old 06-28-2012, 07:36 AM

4,412 posts, read 3,572,697 times
I don't think a Romney presidency would be that bad... If Congress were controlled by the Democrats. My primary motivation for voting for Obama this time is because many of the Republicans in the House and Senate are frightening ideologues who have shown that they are willing to but party and fundamentalist ideas before country.

Anyone who thinks that compromise is weak, and that Ayn Rand was anything more than a writer of bad fiction, has no business having unfettered power on a national level. I fear Romney will a rubber stamp to these people.

Old 06-29-2012, 05:15 PM

9,986 posts, read 12,406,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mon View Post
I don't think a Romney presidency would be that bad... If Congress were controlled by the Democrats. My primary motivation for voting for Obama this time is because many of the Republicans in the House and Senate are frightening ideologues who have shown that they are willing to but party and fundamentalist ideas before country.

Anyone who thinks that compromise is weak, and that Ayn Rand was anything more than a writer of bad fiction, has no business having unfettered power on a national level. I fear Romney will a rubber stamp to these people.
Bingo. This is exactly how I feel about 2012. But beyond the ideology, the GOP congress has been so completely negative, deceitful, and inept that rewarding them in any way is out of the question. You don't lead by screwing the other guy.

Old 06-29-2012, 05:23 PM

13,893 posts, read 12,278,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
You know? The gop hasn't referred to Mittens as conservative. Did the gop refer to Cain, Bachmann, Newt, Pawlenty, and Santorum as conservatives? oh wait, they did and none of those candidates are conservative. So I guess you could be right.
The republican party has lost it's way and will say or do anything to the mundanes. Luckily the Dems are worse right now so some of the heat is off the repubs. Bunch of snake oil salesmen.
Bachmann's not conservative? Santorum's not conservative.

OK, then.

Old 06-29-2012, 05:24 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,418 posts, read 9,126,250 times
Quote:
When Romney loses, the excuses will mostly be either more calls for "purging" the GOP of moderates, and "RINO's", etc.... or else there'll just be more of the usual "scapegoating" of black and hispanic voters, etc. and other people "who ain't like us"!

Old 06-29-2012, 05:57 PM

2,548 posts, read 1,965,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
When Romney loses, the excuses will mostly be either more calls for "purging" the GOP of moderates, and "RINO's", etc.... or else there'll just be more of the usual "scapegoating" of black and hispanic voters, etc. and other people "who ain't like us"!
Blacks and Hispanics make up less than 20% of voters, approximately. Doesn't make sense to blame 20% of the particpants while ignoring the 80%.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections