Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2012, 10:03 PM

1,118 posts, read 2,287,236 times

Advertisements

I'm forwarding this with the fact I dislike both Obama and Romney and am voting for Gary Johnson (but it's NY, so my vote doesn't matter). This came up all over Facebook and haven't seen it anywhere else:

Who Is The Smallest Government Spender Since Eisenhower? Would You Believe It's Barack Obama? - Forbes

Apparently Obama is the slowest spender on an annualised rate. However, the fundamental math problem here is that each president starts at a different budget level and percents change as a result. For example:

If President A increases the deficit from $1 to $10 (+$9), that's a 900% increase, but if President B increases the deficit by the same amount to $19, that's only a 90% increase. To get the same 900% increase, President B would have to spend an additional $900.

Anyone else find this misleading, then? Obama supporters are digging it up like gold and their lack of understanding basic math is getting to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2012, 10:06 PM

1,118 posts, read 2,287,236 times
Never mind, this was posted elsewhere. Mods delete please?

Old 07-13-2012, 10:09 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,752,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoking66 View Post
I'm forwarding this with the fact I dislike both Obama and Romney and am voting for Gary Johnson (but it's NY, so my vote doesn't matter). This came up all over Facebook and haven't seen it anywhere else:

Who Is The Smallest Government Spender Since Eisenhower? Would You Believe It's Barack Obama? - Forbes

Apparently Obama is the slowest spender on an annualised rate. However, the fundamental math problem here is that each president starts at a different budget level and percents change as a result. For example:

If President A increases the deficit from $1 to $10 (+$9), that's a 900% increase, but if President B increases the deficit by the same amount to $19, that's only a 90% increase. To get the same 900% increase, President B would have to spend an additional $900.

Anyone else find this misleading, then? Obama supporters are digging it up like gold and their lack of understanding basic math is getting to me.
Or maybe not.

President Obama: The Biggest Government Spender In World History - Forbes

"The analysis by Internet commentator Rex Nutting on which Obama based his claim begins by telling us “What people forget (or never knew) is that the first year of every presidential term starts with a budget approved by the previous administration and Congress.”**Not exactly.

The previous administration, or President,*proposes*a budget.**The previous Congress*approves*a budget.**And what Congress approves can be radically different from what the President proposes.

As Art Laffer and Steve Moore showed in the*Wall Street Journal*on Tuesday, President Bush began a spending spree in his term that erased most of the gains in reduced government spending as a percent of GDP achieved by the Republican Congress in the 1990s led by former House Speaker Newt Gingrich, in conjunction with President Clinton.**But for fiscal year 2009, President Bush in February, 2008 proposed a budget with just a 3% spending increase over the prior year.**Fiscal year 2009 ran from October 1, 2008 until September 30, 2009.**President Obama’s term began on January 20, 2009.

Recall, however, that in 2008 Congress was controlled by Democrat majorities, with Nancy Pelosi as Speaker of the House, and the restless*Senator*Obama already running for President, just four years removed from his glorious career as a*state*Senator in the*Illinois*legislature.**As Hans Bader reported on May 26 for the*Washington Examiner, the budget*approved and implemented*by Pelosi, Obama and the rest of the Congressional Democrat majorities provided for a*17.9 percent increase*in spending for fiscal 2009!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections