U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2012, 07:08 AM

18,593 posts, read 17,894,733 times

Advertisements

On the surface it maybe a fools errand but with the economy in the tank and New Jersey's high concentration of educated and relatively well off workforce the state maybe receptive to Romney's message of low taxes.

Thoughts? For the record I think New Jersey remains blue.

http://www.monmouth.edu/assets/0/84/...577460bde9.pdf
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2012, 07:14 AM

17,828 posts, read 24,235,107 times
I think a conservative who stays away from certain social issues could possibly win a state like NJ. Their governor is a Republican and sort of conservative. Likely? I'm not sure about that, but it is possible.

Old 07-26-2012, 07:42 AM

1,635 posts, read 1,472,956 times
Bush contested New Jersy to a point in 2004. It may be worth trying. After all,it is next to PA,which is being contested. Maybe do some campaigning in certain areas. I wouldn't spend a lot of time and effort there,but it probably isn't the worst idea.

Old 07-26-2012, 07:50 AM

34,912 posts, read 45,033,789 times
Eight points is a huge margin in today's political landscape. It is doubtful he could ever close that.

Old 07-26-2012, 08:12 AM

12,638 posts, read 8,131,052 times
Most likely it remains blue, but absolutely you contest it. In this economy, every state will be in play except for a few. You also don't know what might happen between now and election day - Obama seems to be making mistake after mistake and gaffe after gaffe.

Besides, it's not like the Romney campaign is going to be short on cash.

Old 07-26-2012, 08:18 AM

36,294 posts, read 36,945,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
On the surface it maybe a fools errand but with the economy in the tank and New Jersey's high concentration of educated and relatively well off workforce the state maybe receptive to Romney's message of low taxes.

Thoughts? For the record I think New Jersey remains blue.

http://www.monmouth.edu/assets/0/84/...577460bde9.pdf
I'd actually like to see polling done in each of the states. I think some media types are thinking some states are "givens" when they aren't.

Old 07-26-2012, 09:01 AM

It would not hurt to campaign a little there. Personally,I would also if I were Romney,look at some other states,like Oregon and Maine.

Old 07-26-2012, 09:12 AM

77,808 posts, read 94,096,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I'd actually like to see polling done in each of the states. I think some media types are thinking some states are "givens" when they aren't.
I agree, I think a lot is going to happen in the next few months and it could be positive for Romney. I can't see anything going Obama's way right now. As for the polls, we will get a better picture in about 2 6 weeks or so; a couple of weeks after both conventions are over. Romney will probably get a boast when he announces his running mate, if that is prior to the convention and he will get another jump during and right after the convention; then it will be Obama's turn to get the boost, after the Democrat convention. give that time to settle down and we will really know how things stand. I don't think, right now, anything makes much difference, the economic news gets worse daily, the Olynpics will take the spotlight starting in a day or so, Romnye won't even be campaigning for at least a couple more weeks.

After all is said and done, Romney needs to do all he can to win as many states as possible, only forgetting states like Ca. Leave them alone, but many of the other states all seem to think are lost, may not be.

Nita

Old 07-26-2012, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I agree, I think a lot is going to happen in the next few months and it could be positive for Romney. I can't see anything going Obama's way right now. As for the polls, we will get a better picture in about 2 6 weeks or so; a couple of weeks after both conventions are over. Romney will probably get a boast when he announces his running mate, if that is prior to the convention and he will get another jump during and right after the convention; then it will be Obama's turn to get the boost, after the Democrat convention. give that time to settle down and we will really know how things stand. I don't think, right now, anything makes much difference, the economic news gets worse daily, the Olynpics will take the spotlight starting in a day or so, Romnye won't even be campaigning for at least a couple more weeks.

After all is said and done, Romney needs to do all he can to win as many states as possible, only forgetting states like Ca. Leave them alone, but many of the other states all seem to think are lost, may not be.

Nita
Romney will no doubt be spending tv money in the Philly market. Much of that market is in New Jersey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections