U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-13-2012, 09:19 AM
 
12,638 posts, read 8,129,443 times
Reputation: 7456

Advertisements

Quote:
[LEFT]Both candidates also maintained their previous advantages among specific demographic groups. Romney leads among independent voters by 10 points, 47 percent to 37 percent, the same margin he had in May. And Obama continues his advantage among female voters by 15 points – also similar to his May margin.



Read more: POLITICO-GW Battleground Poll: Tied up - Emily Schultheis - POLITICO.com


Great news to start the week.[/LEFT]
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-13-2012, 09:33 AM
 
Location: Norman, OK
3,479 posts, read 6,741,014 times
Reputation: 1198
It will be interesting to see the polls a week or two from now - especially the independent vote and if there is a change in the percentage of Romney voters that are supporting him to vote for him and not just against Obama.

The poll has a mixed bag for both candidates, really. Obama continues to struggle with his approval rating on the economy but leads on foreign policy. Romney enjoys a lead with independents but lags among women considerably.

However, the takeaway from this, I think, is that even with 2 months of negative campaigning by President Obama, driving up Romney's unfavorables, voters have still not broken away from Romney in the aggregate.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2012, 09:40 AM
 
Location: Texas
14,969 posts, read 15,276,212 times
Reputation: 4574
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxjay View Post
However, the takeaway from this, I think, is that even with 2 months of negative campaigning by President Obama, driving up Romney's unfavorables, voters have still not broken away from Romney in the aggregate.
Yet according to the Obama lovers on this forum, Romney intentionally ceded the election by picking Ryan.

As you allude to, this is when there have been a lot more anti-Romney/pro-Obama ads than anti-Obama/pro-Romney ads which will change after the convention. I'd really like to hear a serious, logical explanation of why they would throw away the election when they're sitting on so much money and will have the structural advantage as far as ads go in just a few short weeks, not far behind at all even though they've been at a huge disadvantage as far as ads go so far, and when Obama still can't get to 50% in most polls and when Obama's approval is still lower than any incumbent president has ever been re-elected with.

Reality check, Obama lovers - they didn't throw away the election. They think Ryan is a good choice.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2012, 09:48 AM
 
5,036 posts, read 4,775,371 times
Reputation: 2353
Let's hope this trend continues. It has to be mind blowing, how dumb one has to be to still back Obama/Biden at this point. The bottom line is, the biggest issue we face as a nation is with the economy. There is no way, no how, that re-electing Obama/Biden is going to be good for the economy and debt.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2012, 10:04 AM
 
Location: Texas
14,969 posts, read 15,276,212 times
Reputation: 4574
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucsLose View Post
Let's hope this trend continues. It has to be mind blowing, how dumb one has to be to still back Obama/Biden at this point. The bottom line is, the biggest issue we face as a nation is with the economy. There is no way, no how, that re-electing Obama/Biden is going to be good for the economy and debt.
At the end of the day, this is why I think Ryan was a bad choice. Before Romney had an excellent chance as long as he could redefine himself and boost his favorables. Now there is the potential of turning the election into a referendum on Medicare, rather than a referendum on Obama's stewardship over the economy.

I am not saying that Romney has no chance with Ryan on the ticket, but I think Ryan being on the ticket increases the potential for things to go very, very wrong.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2012, 10:08 AM
 
4,828 posts, read 7,261,343 times
Reputation: 621
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Yet according to the Obama lovers on this forum, Romney intentionally ceded the election by picking Ryan.

As you allude to, this is when there have been a lot more anti-Romney/pro-Obama ads than anti-Obama/pro-Romney ads which will change after the convention. I'd really like to hear a serious, logical explanation of why they would throw away the election when they're sitting on so much money and will have the structural advantage as far as ads go in just a few short weeks, not far behind at all even though they've been at a huge disadvantage as far as ads go so far, and when Obama still can't get to 50% in most polls and when Obama's approval is still lower than any incumbent president has ever been re-elected with.

Reality check, Obama lovers - they didn't throw away the election. They think Ryan is a good choice.
Quote:
The poll, conducted in the days leading up to the Ryan announcement on Saturday
Did you miss that? I love how you romneybots get all excited when a poll shows your candidate trailing Obama by a point. Lol
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2012, 10:11 AM
 
Location: Texas
14,969 posts, read 15,276,212 times
Reputation: 4574
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post
Did you miss that? I love how you romneybots get all excited when a poll shows your candidate trailing Obama by a point. Lol
Did you actually read the rest of my post?

Obviously the poll was conducted before they picked Ryan and I never suggested otherwise. Now they did not know about this poll before they picked Ryan, but it's not like the polls as a whole showed Obama in some excellent position. Sure, he had a slight lead in most of the polls, but he was certainly in a bad position. His approval what it is and him being below 50% in most polls =/= an easy win for Obama, especially given that he has a huge structural advantage at this point when it comes to ads that he will lose in just a few short weeks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2012, 10:11 AM
 
1,318 posts, read 2,316,342 times
Reputation: 408
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucsLose View Post
Let's hope this trend continues. It has to be mind blowing, how dumb one has to be to still back Obama/Biden at this point. The bottom line is, the biggest issue we face as a nation is with the economy. There is no way, no how, that re-electing Obama/Biden is going to be good for the economy and debt.
I would really love to hear Romney's plan other than raise taxes on the middle class and give tax breaks to his wealthy cronies. While I am a Obama supporter, I am an Independent and have an open mind and these past two elections these Republicans have offered nothing new to change the economy that Bush created. Yes, Obama inherited this 3 trillion dollar crap, not created it and the Right conveniently forget how this all started. BUSH. The only plan I have heard thus far is tax breaks for all which has been proven NOT to work time and time and time again. Trickle down economics has been proven not to work guys. Romney also wants to repeal Obamacare which is essentially his same exact healthcare, Romneycare for MA. So, really I would love to know what he is going to do differently for the American people. All he talks about is what Obama didn't do but how about giving specifics Mr. Romney on exactly what you would do. So, thus far we know the following which will do absolutely nothing to help stimulate this economy:
Tax breaks for the wealthy
Cut and gut Medicare and make it a voucher program
Repeal Obamacare
Invade Iran - guarantee that one!
Repeal a women's right to choose
Continue to send job overseas as he has done at Bain
Privatize social security
Doesn't sound like any of the above is a change the American people are look for and the truth is, he has no new plans to help the economy and some new bad ones I might add. Romney already has some of Bush's advisers on his team which means disaster is on the horizon if this man gets elected! It will Bush on steroids. Heaven help us all!

Doesn't sound to me that Romney is doing very well with Independents.
http://www.usnews.com/opinion/blogs/...on-mitt-romney

Last edited by jojo7; 08-13-2012 at 10:22 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2012, 10:32 AM
 
5,036 posts, read 4,775,371 times
Reputation: 2353
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
At the end of the day, this is why I think Ryan was a bad choice. Before Romney had an excellent chance as long as he could redefine himself and boost his favorables. Now there is the potential of turning the election into a referendum on Medicare, rather than a referendum on Obama's stewardship over the economy.

I am not saying that Romney has no chance with Ryan on the ticket, but I think Ryan being on the ticket increases the potential for things to go very, very wrong.
I respectfully disagree. Ryan seems eager and willing to take any question and answer anything. He is very capable of being a man who can explains things clearly and take on liberals and the media/Obama attack machine with intelligence and calm.

Remember, his plans arent even a go just because he's VP. But him together with Romney, I think they can come up with an excellent plan for most situations. And plus, let them attack on his past Medicare plan, Obama still has to answer for his $700 billion take away, something even the liberal praised Maddow couldnt even answer on Sunday morning.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2012, 10:46 AM
 
Location: The land of infinite variety!
2,046 posts, read 1,360,072 times
Reputation: 4571
I can't get too excited about polls one way or the other, because they poll individual voters.

It's all going to come down to electoral votes, which do not necessarily reflect the popular vote.

Huff post electoral map updated this morning:

Obama vs. Romney Electoral Map

Shows that more states are back in play since the Ryan pick, but Obama is still clearly ahead. Who knows??
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top