Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2012, 07:25 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,667,657 times

Advertisements

You're actually posting a link to something said by Stephanie Cutter?

Wow!

That's brave!

And they wonder why we laugh at them!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2012, 07:26 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,945,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
False again. Simply a lie.

There is no mention of any "vouchers" in the plan. That is a word the Democrats like to use to try to discredit the plan, but they are liars.
Oh, really?

ABC Fact-check: Obama’s Attack Ad on Romney-Ryan Medicare Overhaul

Quote:
Ryan’s proposal includes providing citizens with vouchers to pay for competing private health care plans, and it assumes the competition will drive down costs. Medicare currently makes payments to providers that are about 30 percent lower than those made by private insurance companies, but the CBO assumed that this would end under Ryan’s plan, driving up costs for beneficiaries. This accounts for the price discrepancy between beneficiary costs.
He [Ted Marmor, professor emeritus of public policy and management at Yale School of Management] said providing Medicare vouchers to pay competing private insurance companies will shift the risk and increased costs for care from Medicare to the patient. Some patients would have to choose between paying for better coverage and having more money for food and other items.

Old 08-18-2012, 07:26 AM

1,635 posts, read 1,593,487 times
AARP is a partisan Democrat group. They supported Obamacare. Not credible.

Old 08-18-2012, 07:27 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,202,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
You couldn't be more wrong. I have friends who are members but know nothing of AARP's political leanings. They are dumb enough to think they are getting discounts for all kinds of things but fail to figure in the cost of their AARP membership. There are stupid people everywhere.

AARP is a colossal ripoff and they represent nobody but themselves.

But you go right ahead and think what you think. Like I said, there are stupid people everywhere.
Baloney. I'm an AARP member--I did join for the discounts (you can join at 50), and I get way in more back in travel discounts alone than my $16 membership. Your friends know exactly how AARP stands on issues, because you constantly get stuff in the mail about it--they send out a monthly magazine plus special bulletins, plus they have a ton of information on their website. AARP isn't a radical right wing organization, if that's what you're looking for, but to call them leftist is a joke. If you're right of the John Birch society, everyone is a leftist, including moderate conservatives.

Old 08-18-2012, 07:29 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,945,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
Baloney. I'm an AARP member--I did join for the discounts (you can join at 50), and I get way in more back in travel discounts alone than my $16 membership. Your friends know exactly how AARP stands on issues, because you constantly get stuff in the mail about it--they send out a monthly magazine plus special bulletins, plus they have a ton of information on their website. AARP isn't a radical right wing organization, if that's what you're looking for, but to call them leftist is a joke. If you're right of the John Birch society, everyone is a leftist, including moderate conservatives.
Nothing like facts to counteract the BS from the right-wing.

Old 08-18-2012, 07:30 AM

5,787 posts, read 4,714,620 times
I said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt800
Isn't it strange that AARP claims the Romney/Ryan plan attacks Medicare when:

THE ONLY PERSON IN THIS ELECTION WHO'S ACTUALLY STOLEN FROM MEDICARE IS OBAMA
You relied:

Now what's wrong with your reply?:

a) You posted a link to what Stephanie Cutter says (a proven liar)
b) You didn't prove my post wrong......

There is only ONE person in this election that has ACTUALLY CUT MEDICARE - OBAMA!

Old 08-18-2012, 07:40 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,926,416 times
Default Follow the money.....

Lobbying is big business to the AARP. No doubt they believe they can buy the most influence from the Obama administration. AARP puts itself as an organization ahead of the well-being of the seniors it markets itself as representing.

Lobbying Spending Database-AARP, 2010 | OpenSecrets

Lobbying Spending Database-AARP, 2008 | OpenSecrets

60 Plus Association | AARP Puts Liberal Agenda First, Seniors Last

AARP puts 'political self-interests' above members (OneNewsNow.com)

Old 08-18-2012, 08:08 AM

13,900 posts, read 9,768,836 times
The AARP will help the Democrats out this election. We were struggling with the senior vote. The AARP will help clear the air and inform seniors on the lies Republicans spew.

Old 08-18-2012, 08:19 AM

17,400 posts, read 11,972,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
Point-by-point to your talking points:

Medicare Advantage was a boondoggle for insurance companies. Under Medicare Advantage, the Kaiser Family Foundation said, Medicare ends up paying the private plans MORE per enrollee -- about 7% more -- than the fee-for-service program does.

The Ryan plan does not re-instate the $716 bil. It takes that and more.

The Ryan Plan does not offer more choices. It is designed to kill Medicare. Even if one wanted traditional Medicare, a senior would have to buy that with their voucher.

From Paul Krugman this morning:
Please check your facts. The Ryan plan allows for vouchers or staying on Medicare. That IS more choice. The Ryan plan is designed to save Medicare. Because doing nothing (or worse, stealing $700 billion to put into ObamaCare) WILL kill Medicare.

Old 08-18-2012, 08:20 AM

17,400 posts, read 11,972,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
AARP has long been a wing of the lefttard dem party.

I have never and will never have anything to do with them.
I turn 50 in a few weeks, and got my application to join. I sent it back with a note telling them to shove their membership, since they sold out seniors by backing ObamaCare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections