Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2007, 11:05 AM

11,135 posts, read 14,235,714 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown stuntman View Post
As much as I disdain Paul and some of his followers who are guilty of the same blind allegiance that inflicts supporters of the more "mainstream" candidates they allude to, I certainly see eye-to-eye with Paul on many fronts. Unfortunately this isn't about what percentages I agree with a candidate, but rather what common bonds there are in terms of the most pressing issues the next president of the U.S faces...as well as offering solutions and insightfulness that can discren someone like Paul from the likes of Barney Rubble. Actually it hit me the other day who Paul is a prototype of: remember James Stockdale, Ross Perot's running mate in 1992? Boy, what an embarrassment! But talk about another political candidate that would offer grandeur if only the world we lived in operated efficiently based on 10 second sound bite niceties.
Hard to tell exactly what you are trying to say. You disdain him, yet see eye to eye on many fronts. Is this like self loathing? You then allude to him being like Barney Rubble for his views on returning to a stricter constitutional adherence. This is probably why this nation is in the mess it is in, too many who no longer seem to value the meaning or content of the work of writ that is the basis for our government and society and forms the framework of our nation. You think it is an embarrassment and a 10 second sound byte to spend 10 terms in office and have one of the most consistent voting records in Congress since the founding of the United States?

We also have to consider that many of the views that Ron Paul are more aptly forwarded from the point of a legislator. As a President, there are things Dr. Paul can and can not do, but it is more important and goes beyond just the limits of this and that is the simple issue of integrity. No matter what the issue is, I already know how this guy will vote, I need not worry about flipping and flopping, waffling, yadda yadda.

The naivety in which many point to for those who are idealistic about returning to a more basic form of the Federal government and its clearly outlined limited role that it is supposed to play, I have to say just look around. There is a growing number of people each day, and whether or not Ron Paul is the next President or not, there is a trend in the American psyche to return to its roots.

Many people, including myself are tired of this illusion of choice presented each election cycle. Picking between the lesser of two evils is not the way the greatest nation in history is supposed to be ran.

Last edited by TnHilltopper; 10-05-2007 at 11:42 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2007, 11:37 AM

2,096 posts, read 1,478,233 times
values voter debate (http://www.valuesvoterdebate.com/downloads/Round2Answers.pdf - broken link)

Ron Paul was one that was not a coward and attended the value voters debate. Here is his answers to the questions.

Old 10-05-2007, 11:55 AM

He also had the courage to attend and address minority concerns at debate held at Morgan College. He also had the guts to go live on air with Bill O'Reilly isn't exactly a fan and in the eyes of many, openly hostile towards the views of Ron Paul, yet he did it.

As the voting card of the value voters indicates yet again, the consistency in which he is principled. He does not feel, nor is it mandated anywhere in the constitution that the Federal government should be sponsoring, funding, supporting, or detracting from any of those issues that were not outlined in the Constitution or that be added via an amendment.

I break from social conservatives as they, like many liberals want government intervention to support their ideals, issues and views. This should not be the role of the Federal government but the role of the state government. The reason state governments or local governments are better able to address these issues is the demographics they represent. If the people in Boondock, Alabama want to display a copy of the 10 commandments in the courthouse, then great, go for it. If rainbowville, California wants to have gay pride day with parades or what not, then go for it, have a ball guys (ok that was bad)

But these are not things the Federal government should concern itself with nor should people in AL fund or help pay for a gay parade in Cali, any more than the folks of Rainbowville should pay for a statue of Moses in the courthouse down in AL.

When the Federal government involves itself into the personal lives of everyone on issues of morality or behavior, then more often that not, everyone loses as there is no one shoes size fits all in this respect.

Old 10-05-2007, 04:22 PM

791 posts, read 2,228,897 times
There probly does not exist a large chance that Ron Paul would be the party nominee for Prez, much less he would be a ballot candidate. But his message is important.

Consider, if 10% of the House were 'independent', which party would control the leadership? Same for the Senate?

No person, as president, is able to halt the growth and control of government. Congress, without a party majority would have a better opportunity to halt the spread of congressional fraud. Take the Paul message and apply it to your local representation. Congress has no approval, why should it be re-elected?

Old 10-05-2007, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willys View Post
There probly does not exist a large chance that Ron Paul would be the party nominee for Prez, much less he would be a ballot candidate. But his message is important.

Consider, if 10% of the House were 'independent', which party would control the leadership? Same for the Senate?

No person, as president, is able to halt the growth and control of government. Congress, without a party majority would have a better opportunity to halt the spread of congressional fraud. Take the Paul message and apply it to your local representation. Congress has no approval, why should it be re-elected?
Excellent point! The dynamic of congressional control and its ability to dance would no longer exist as it does in the current context. As long as those independents held to their views and weren't purchased at the local Big Lots Politician sale. One of my biggest complaints is that independents, no matter which, always shoot for top dog, when they could be so much more effective at local and congressional level, as you say, 10% and things would greatly change. At least it would force the rest of Congress to actually show up and do its job for a change.

Old 10-05-2007, 06:19 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,995,497 times
I love Ron Paul's stance. Fiscal policies that are truly conservative, and a belief in social liberty that is just enough Libertarian. Ron Paul 08!

Old 10-05-2007, 07:41 PM

791 posts, read 2,228,897 times
A real problem here, both for Paul as a candidate and a change in Congressional activity is that the electorate is so caught up in a 'Bush vs. Clinton vs. Bush vs. Clinton' that it fails to consider real political control. Of course, all politicians know this and is why they attack one another, to keep that competitive pot boiling. The result is that the electorate has to vote for the 'team' or the team loses. This relegates Congress to second tier importance in the four year elections. Then, once in session it reverts to trying to control the President, unless of course, that politician is elected President, who then strives to keep all they control the position already has.

Congress... 535 reasons to support term limits with NO benefits and NO grandfathering tenure.

Old 10-05-2007, 08:08 PM

1,155 posts, read 1,845,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willys View Post

I believe it was one of the founding fathers who stated that political parties were basically a recipe for disaster. I could be wrong but I remember someone, well known, saying that.

Old 10-06-2007, 11:23 AM

12,711 posts, read 13,524,904 times
Ron Paul and Mike Gravel are the only two candidates who are telling the whole truth to the American people about our deranged foreign policy. I like Paul's domestic program more than Gravel's, although I don't line up with either of them 100%.

Old 10-06-2007, 11:46 AM

7,571 posts, read 17,351,254 times
I love Mike Gravel. He has a snowball's chance in hell but I am supporting him and campaigning for him 100%.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections