Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 08:36 PM

2,003 posts, read 1,545,304 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
So essentially nothing.

"Respect" and "compassion" are two subjective emotional issues which have been "sold" by the democratic party in exchange for votes. What do they really get? NOTHING!

That is a great deal- votes for nothing. Given that minorities ALWAYS reflexively vote democratic, NEITHER PARTY spends any time or political capital in an effort to politically "please" them. It is wasted time and effort in either sense, as the dems always get the minority vote, regardless of what either party does.

One would think that minorities and women want the same thing as whites- a stable economy, low unemployment, control of soaring debt, and a secure future for the their children. The other "side issues" which democrats "sell" in order to get votes mean very little, if anything.

This election is about the economy and the economy affects men, women and minorities. Oddly, the women and minorities have suffered most under Obama and, in a rational world, would be most anxious to get rid of him.
Only problem is, instead of going into black communities and discussing the economy, and listening to the people their discuss their take on the issues, republican candidates declare to white audiences that black people "want more free stuff", that we "have no work ethic", and that we're "satisfied with food stamps". Oh and when we don't respond to these insults with glee, it's because we're "brainwashed" and "on the democrat plantation".

When Obama said that small-town Pennsylvanians were "bitter" and "cling to guns or religion", it was a major issue. Folks pointed to it as proof he disliked white people, he had to apologize for it (as he should have), and people went so far as to call it "Bittergate". When republicans repeatedly paint black Americans as uniquely stupid, lazy, and unethical, mainstream press just can't imagine saying anything about it, because my goodness, it's so awful to be called a racist. And then everyone just stands around and wonders why black people hate the GOP, as if there's some incredible mystery here.

I'm glad that Chris Matthews, at least, is starting to call the GOP out directly. I'd love to have both parties work to earn black voters, but right now the GOP rhetoric is just sickening, and it needs to change, drastically.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2012, 08:48 PM

3,620 posts, read 3,835,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadoken View Post
Only problem is, instead of going into black communities and discussing the economy, and listening to the people their discuss their take on the issues, republican candidates declare to white audiences that black people "want more free stuff", that we "have no work ethic", and that we're "satisfied with food stamps". Oh and when we don't respond to these insults with glee, it's because we're "brainwashed" and "on the democrat plantation".

When Obama said that small-town Pennsylvanians were "bitter" and "cling to guns or religion", it was a major issue. Folks pointed to it as proof he disliked white people, he had to apologize for it (as he should have), and people went so far as to call it "Bittergate". When republicans repeatedly paint black Americans as uniquely stupid, lazy, and unethical, mainstream press just can't imagine saying anything about it, because my goodness, it's so awful to be called a racist. And then everyone just stands around and wonders why black people hate the GOP, as if there's some incredible mystery here.

I'm glad that Chris Matthews, at least, is starting to call the GOP out directly. I'd love to have both parties work to earn black voters, but right now the GOP rhetoric is just sickening, and it needs to change, drastically.
yea i remember santorum saying that during the primaries.

Old 08-28-2012, 09:14 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,530,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadoken View Post

What we (Blacks/Latinos/Asians/Native Americans) need to do is effectively infiltrate the GOP and push for candidates that will wipe out the old guard power structure of the GOP. But trust me when I say that they are more afraid of that plan then they are of anything else.

Old 08-28-2012, 10:08 PM

1,105 posts, read 1,787,191 times
I almost thought of becoming a republican until I understood that republicans care about money first, then people. I couldn't in my right mind or as a Christian condone their ideology. Being a black republican would be comparable to being a black Mormon. To the majority, you'd always be considered a second class citizen.

As messed up as some of the stances that the democratic party take, I'd still rather remain a democrat than be in the party of money first and hipocracy second. I think minorities know that they'd be low on the totem pole in the republican party. Especially as divided as the two parties are today and that division is such a shame. Forgive my typos. It's late and I'm on my iPad which I purchased from a job not an assumed government entitlement.

Old 08-29-2012, 09:12 AM

6,819 posts, read 14,032,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frugality View Post
You accuse Hispanics of not understanding or respecting laws, yet you wonder why we don't want to belong to your party?? The Democratic party may have elements of anti-Hispanic sentiment, but at least they have enough common sense to hide it in public. Are Republicans really that dense? I'm not a member of the Democratic party, but with such open hostility towards me and my family, there is no way in hell I'd join the GOP. I doubt any of this will register with you, which makes me wonder if you really wanted answers or were just trolling.

I am black but I know many hispanics who have a issue with the GOP. When white's came to this country words like hope, opportunity and freedom are used. When we speak of mexicans, words like welfare, leeches and deadbeats are tossed around. Truth be known both came here for the same reason but it is not reported as such. The vast majority of hispanics I know understand something has to done to curb illegal immigration. They understand we are a nation of laws and those laws should be enforced. Where the GOP seems to fail is understanding illegals come here to work and take care of their families. Be illegal, a drain on social services, etc..... this is the simple reason they come. You can be firm but show compassion. The GOP loves to use minorities as punching bags for everything that is wrong with country. I saw interview with Jeb Bush and he hit the nail right on the head when he said there is nothing wrong with republican values. They simply need to understand that no one is going to join your ranks when they feel unwelcomed.

I share many of the same values as the republican party and would love to consider them as a viable option. It will never happen as long as they foster the type attitudes they currently allow. If they truly want minorities among there ranks they need to show a level of respect. America's make up is changing and the GOP is going to have to change with it to survive. Business as usual is not going to be a option.

Old 08-29-2012, 09:18 AM

52,698 posts, read 34,548,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
The absence of insults.

I have yet to see a thread of this nature without the requisite insult directed squared at Black Americans. And this one is no exception.
what and where was the 'requisite insult' implicit in the OP?

copy/paste it here.

Old 08-29-2012, 09:24 AM

6,933 posts, read 8,492,393 times
Quote:
What is it that minorities get from Democrat run government that they dont think they can get from Conservative run gov?
Respect. The same respect as white people are afforded by "conservatives" (a/k/a "extremists").

Old 08-29-2012, 09:26 AM

6,902 posts, read 7,537,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucsLose View Post
Probably the worst place to ask this, knowing the loons here, but Ill try anyways. It seems the biggest minority group that votes Dem is black followed by latinos.

Ive heard recently it has nothing to do with hand outs or entitlements. So, if not, what is it exactly?

My confusion is more with the black voters. The latino voters I can understand to a degree. It seems to largely deal with immigration. While I understand, I cant figure out why they cant grasp the importance of our laws, our border laws. The importance of following a process to get into our country like many others do. The importance to protect our borders. Seems that whenever someone even mentions a way to deal with the problem, you get outrage from liberals and latinos and often charges of racism.

As far as the black vote, and really anyone for that matter, why Democrat? A conservative message is to say to any American that you can do anything and make something of yourself if you try hard enough. You dont need or have to rely on government. Some on the other side seem to suggest otherwise, but many have come here and worked their tails off to succeed.

What programs or policies do minorities want exactly that arent already in place? Does it not appear to you that one party in particular seems to break everyone down into a group of some sort? Is that what you want? To be looked at for your skin color only and not as an American first?

Have you forgotten that both parties believe in Government intervention? To honestly believe that a Republican President would be any different with spending that a Democratic one, you are really fooling yourself. The only difference to me between both parties is, one believes in Tax cuts that will benefit the rich and the other believe in tax cuts that will benefit everyone else. Neither party will cut funding to the poor, lets just be clear on that one. No matter the political rhetoric it will never happen. Also when it comes to Immigration, name one Republican President that has done ANYTHING at all in this department. If you truely believe that Mitt will be the first, well then you poor dear.

Old 08-29-2012, 09:37 AM

2,654 posts, read 5,761,499 times
Because the Democratic party championed civil rights in the 1960s. Hope this helps!

Old 08-29-2012, 09:47 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,193,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucsLose View Post
Probably the worst place to ask this, knowing the loons here, but Ill try anyways. It seems the biggest minority group that votes Dem is black followed by latinos.

Ive heard recently it has nothing to do with hand outs or entitlements. So, if not, what is it exactly?

My confusion is more with the black voters. The latino voters I can understand to a degree. It seems to largely deal with immigration. While I understand, I cant figure out why they cant grasp the importance of our laws, our border laws. The importance of following a process to get into our country like many others do. The importance to protect our borders. Seems that whenever someone even mentions a way to deal with the problem, you get outrage from liberals and latinos and often charges of racism.

As far as the black vote, and really anyone for that matter, why Democrat? A conservative message is to say to any American that you can do anything and make something of yourself if you try hard enough. You dont need or have to rely on government. Some on the other side seem to suggest otherwise, but many have come here and worked their tails off to succeed.

What programs or policies do minorities want exactly that arent already in place? Does it not appear to you that one party in particular seems to break everyone down into a group of some sort? Is that what you want? To be looked at for your skin color only and not as an American first?
Despite this ridiculous plea, we aren't going to vote en masse for Republicans because simply put, you guys don't like black folks over there. That's all there is to it. You guys are good at letting it come out in drips and drabs, but we've already totaled it all up and came to the correct conclusions. Sorry. There really is no "confusion" on your part, despite your claims. You already know and understand why blacks don't vote Republican, you're just trying to be cute in your effort to come up with another anti-black thread. Yea...you're really not all that slick.

Your theory about entitlements is a load of bull, and even you know it. So i'm not gonna waste my time talking about that. In comparison, blacks are only getting table scraps when it's all said and done. Once i add up all the corporate welfare like subsidies, federal contracts, ON TOP of the normal entitlement programs, white folks aren't doing too bad when it comes to sucking off of the federal teet. In fact, they're leading the way. And your other nonsense about "others coming here to succeed blah, blah, blah,....YAWN. Whatever. It's just you on your normal flattery trip. Why aren't you a big smashing success since you're so quick to talk about others? Where is your millions?

Your last sentence is a riot because that's what you spend half of your posts around here doing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections