Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2012, 12:39 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,873,337 times

Advertisements

Oh, almost forgot, the first news source I heard call Ryan a liar in his little speech was FOX news. Guess that means either FOX is now on the side of the Dems or someone here is truth challenged, you pick, LOL :c rying:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2012, 12:45 PM

1,672 posts, read 1,765,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
From Janesville Gazette:

Right as usual, Demmies.

You leftist fanatics really can't help but bitterly cling to your lies and fantasies, attack the messenger, etc., can you?

It's sad when that's all you have left.

The Democrat mantra when it comes to their lies seems to be: "Crunch all you want. We'll make more."

Umm, that was a joint venture with Izuzu and not a GM vehicle? They had to finish up a production back log but the plant "officially" was closed of all "GM Operations" in 2008. Having another company finish up a signed contract in your factory after you stopped operations is beyond looking at the semantics and very naive.

Old 08-30-2012, 12:47 PM

7,214 posts, read 9,364,281 times
Yeah, all the thousands of workers who were laid off in December 2008 feel better that a few Isuzus were still rolling off the line for a whopping three months of Obama's presidency, I'm sure.

Old 08-30-2012, 01:13 PM

14,858 posts, read 8,159,987 times
This is such a dumb argument to be having.

Obama did go to the factory, and basically said that the government should do something to help them stay open. The factory was still functionally operable when Obama became president, and it has remained closed. The question is, who is to blame?

The truth is, the plant probably needed to be closed. It wasn't needed, regardless of the bailout.

The only reason to have kept the plant open, was if there was more of a demand for SUV's. But the only way for there to be a greater demand for SUV's is if we had cheaper gas, lower unemployment, and stronger economic growth.

Obama has certainly failed to deliver the lower unemployment and strong economic growth he promised. Had we been at 6% unemployment like he said we would be, maybe car buying would be to the point that GM would have reopened the plant by now.

I think Paul Ryan aimed his GM plant attack on Obama's policies which have failed to revive the economy. But I think it looks odd, since Ryan opposed the bailout, and the plant closed under Bush.

But I don't think he was necessarily lying, just very vague and misleading.

Old 08-30-2012, 01:29 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,873,337 times
Oh my another thread killed by those with the power to kill the tuth that Ryan is a Lieing POS FOX says so and I know they are correct, the American people will respond in November by sending your Liars back to whatever rocks they climed out from under. Back to your discussion, just don't expect them to survive the censorship.
See ya when I get back from bannishment.

Old 08-30-2012, 01:40 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,759,101 times
Obama's speech about the plant is from February 2008.

Here is an article from the Business Journal that states that GM's CEO announced in JUNE 2008 that the plant was closing.

GM closing Janesville assembly plant - Milwaukee - The Business Journal

Over 90% of the employees were let go before December 2008. 50 employees stayed on to close the plant in 2009.

What Ryan is claiming is that Obama promised to keep the plant open - but Obama's speech is from *before* GM decided to close the plant.

So - did the plant close under Obama? Yes and no. It was already slated for closure and in the process of being completely shut down before he took office.

Old 08-30-2012, 03:30 PM

5,376 posts, read 5,331,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
Obama's speech about the plant is from February 2008.

Here is an article from the Business Journal that states that GM's CEO announced in JUNE 2008 that the plant was closing.

GM closing Janesville assembly plant - Milwaukee - The Business Journal

Over 90% of the employees were let go before December 2008. 50 employees stayed on to close the plant in 2009.

What Ryan is claiming is that Obama promised to keep the plant open - but Obama's speech is from *before* GM decided to close the plant.

So - did the plant close under Obama? Yes and no. It was already slated for closure and in the process of being completely shut down before he took office.
I guess Rep. Ryan didn't do enough to keep the plant open.

Old 08-30-2012, 03:42 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,179,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
TRANSLATION: I can't refute what the OP said, but I hate it anyway, so I'll attack the messenger instead, and then just imitate my idols Sharpton and Schultz and keep screeching that he lied anyway, and hope others don't find out he told the truth.
The decision to close the plant was made in June of 2008, and all but one small group of employees--57--were fired by the end of 08. The remaining line was kept long enough to finish out a contract they had with Isuzu--they would have been sued if they failed to complete it--and when the contract was completed in April of 09 those remaining 57 employees were terminated as well. According to the wiki article, a group of around 50 employees were kept after that to finalize shutting down the plant.

Ryan is a liar.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Janesvi...Assembly_Plant

Old 08-30-2012, 03:44 PM

20,410 posts, read 12,309,210 times
Here is some real solid truth. The economy stinks. Obama said he would fix it. Obama has been president for almost 4 years.

He failed. Lets fire him.

Old 08-30-2012, 03:48 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,179,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
Here is some real solid truth. The economy stinks. Obama said he would fix it. Obama has been president for almost 4 years.

He failed. Lets fire him.
Here's some more solid truth. Things aren't getting better as fast as we'd like, but they're not getting worse. How do we know that Romney is going to do any better? He doesn't want anyone to look into his dealings with Bain, the Olympics, as the governor of MA, etc., he's changed his position several times on just about every issue, they aren't providing any real details on how they plan to fix things, and now they're lying through their teeth about little stuff. If they lie about the little stuff, what are they going to do with the big things? I look at this election as trying to sort out the lesser of two evils. Electing a bold faced liar isn't high on my list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections