U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Are You Better Off Than You Were Four Years Ago?
YES 50 52.08%
NO 46 47.92%
Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-04-2012, 04:49 PM
 
Location: Florida
73,518 posts, read 41,252,300 times
Reputation: 13602

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikoshaprl View Post
That has been die to the fed policy of easy money not Obama. BTW that is also the reason gas prices have doubled and food prices are rising so much. Our dollar won't be worth spit if Obama is re elected.
Housing is very affordable, and USD is strong against many other currencies. Taking that into considearion, my dollars buy more today than four years ago. People spend most of their money on housing, not on gas. Besides, four years ago today, gas was more expensive than it is now.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-04-2012, 04:51 PM
 
3,347 posts, read 2,888,905 times
Reputation: 1719
Quote:
Originally Posted by btsilver View Post
Nobody is deflecting. People come on here and say they are doing better. You say something stupid like "that's impossible! nobody is doing better!" Your argument tactics suck.

If it's any consolation to you, I would have been doing better regardless of who is in the whitehouse.
No, I can see through certain posters..... there are some that are doing better, but as any poll has shown..... many more are worse off

With that extra cash from doing better, you might want to purchase something to help with comprehension..

I do fine regardless of who is in power as well by the way....... just hate to see so man people suffering
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-04-2012, 04:53 PM
 
Location: Florida
73,518 posts, read 41,252,300 times
Reputation: 13602
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
i agree.

low interest rates hurt all savers, young and old, on purpose.

if people are homeowners, i don't know how they can say that they are better off now. is this just renters responding that they are better off?
If you are a homeowner, you should be happy with these rates, and if you own multiple properties, you should be VERY happy renting out the others. This is the best time in memory to be hunting for bargains and many people will stike it rich during times like this. Investing your money on a savings account to accumulate interest is probably the worst thing you can do.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-04-2012, 04:55 PM
 
Location: Florida
73,518 posts, read 41,252,300 times
Reputation: 13602
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M_Indie_08 View Post
No, I can see through certain posters..... there are some that are doing better, but as any poll has shown..... many more are worse off

With that extra cash from doing better, you might want to purchase something to help with comprehension..

I do fine regardless of who is in power as well by the way....... just hate to see so man people suffering
I'd like to hear how people are worse off. Many say they are worse off because gas prices are up, but how much of their money do people spend on gas? Besides, in August 2008, gas was $4.10 per gallon.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-04-2012, 04:59 PM
 
3,347 posts, read 2,888,905 times
Reputation: 1719
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I'd like to hear how people are worse off. Many say they are worse off because gas prices are up, but how much of their money do people spend on gas? Besides, in August 2008, gas was $4.10 per gallon.
Why don't you ask the people who are worse off? I know many people can't find work and that everything is more expensive while wages are stagnant for many but ....

I can't answer it because my situation is fine personally
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-04-2012, 04:59 PM
 
Location: Florida
73,518 posts, read 41,252,300 times
Reputation: 13602
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
Sorry if thats what you thought I meant. I am voting 3rd party for two reasons:

1. The difference between the Democrat and Republican party is next to nothing
2. I actually support and believe in many of the principles of the libertarian candidates

The supposed intellect of my fellow voters has nothing to do with how I vote.
OK, I replied the way I did because someone said this:
Quote:
It's when a bunch of incredibly stupid Americans, Blue kool-aid drinkers and Red kool-aid drinkers bicker about everything. While you're bickering, both parties are shoving the big Red, White and Blue up all of your asses. Obama promised to save us, now Romney's doing the same thing. When will stupid Americans finally wake up. Bwahahahaha!!!!!!!
And you replied by saying that was the reason why you vote 3rd party.

Thanks for the clarification, and I agree with your two points.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-04-2012, 05:02 PM
 
Location: Florida
73,518 posts, read 41,252,300 times
Reputation: 13602
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M_Indie_08 View Post
Why don't you ask the people who are worse off? I know many people can't find work and that everything is more expensive while wages are stagnant for many but ....

I can't answer it because my situation is fine personally
Well, they have had this thread to answer, and their reasons seem to revolve around gas prices etc, and not on major issues. This is why I wonder if those who vote "worse off", are doing so even if their overall situation is actually better than they let believe.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-04-2012, 05:04 PM
 
12,869 posts, read 14,024,475 times
Reputation: 4453
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Housing is very affordable, and USD is strong against many other currencies. Taking that into considearion, my dollars buy more today than four years ago. People spend most of their money on housing, not on gas. Besides, four years ago today, gas was more expensive than it is now.
a graph on gas prices since obama has been president:

Historical Gas Price Charts - GasBuddy.com

if your dollar is buying more, you must be shopping somewhere different than i am.

not only do things cost a lot more, but have you noticed that the portions are getting smaller?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-04-2012, 05:08 PM
 
12,869 posts, read 14,024,475 times
Reputation: 4453
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
The stock market was setting records under Hoover....for a time.

The stock market is a poor indicator of overall financial stability.
absolutely true.

more americans had their wealth tied into their homes than the stock market, and the percentage in the stock market keeps declining:

Percentage Of Americans With Stock Hits Eleven-Year Low, Gallup Says

who really trusts a market that has a plunge protection team on call?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-04-2012, 05:09 PM
 
12,869 posts, read 14,024,475 times
Reputation: 4453
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
If you are a homeowner, you should be happy with these rates, and if you own multiple properties, you should be VERY happy renting out the others. This is the best time in memory to be hunting for bargains and many people will stike it rich during times like this. Investing your money on a savings account to accumulate interest is probably the worst thing you can do.
i don't know if you have rental properties, but the quality of renters (at least in certain areas) is not the same as it used to be.

so you go hunt for bargains, and then see if you can collect all your rent in a timely fashion- with a record number of people unemployed and on food stamps. not only that, but when they run out of money they will often steal your stuff and sell it. my tenants have sold custom drapes, pool equipment, my appliances, and water conditioning equipment. i know some landlords that have had their hot tub parts stolen, because they couldn't move the tub itself-rending the tub useless. a lot of the stuff is on craigslist and nobody is doing anything about it-and it's a shame.

who even knew that people would do that?

good luck!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:37 PM.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top