U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are You Better Off Than You Were Four Years Ago?
YES 50 52.08%
NO 46 47.92%
Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 04:15 PM

12,779 posts, read 7,167,243 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
i don't know if you have rental properties, but the quality of renters (at least in certain areas) is not the same as it used to be.

so you go hunt for bargains, and then see if you can collect all your rent in a timely fashion- with a record number of people unemployed and on food stamps. not only that, but when they run out of money they will often steal your stuff and sell it. my tenants have sold custom drapes, pool equipment, my appliances, and water conditioning equipment. i know some landlords that have had their hot tub parts stolen, because they couldn't move the tub itself-rending the tub useless. a lot of the stuff is on craigslist and nobody is doing anything about it-and it's a shame.

who even knew that people would do that?

good luck!
You provide renters with drapes?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2012, 04:42 PM

73,518 posts, read 41,087,743 times
Quote:
a graph on gas prices since obama has been president:

Historical Gas Price Charts - GasBuddy.com

if your dollar is buying more, you must be shopping somewhere different than i am.

not only do things cost a lot more, but have you noticed that the portions are getting smaller?
I said gas price four years ago, and in august 2008 the price was $4.11.

I say my dollar buys more, because housing is so affordable that it easily offsets increases in other prices. If I save $700 a month in mortgage and property tax payments, then why would I cry about having to pay $1.00 more for milk?

Old 09-04-2012, 04:47 PM

Quote:
i don't know if you have rental properties, but the quality of renters (at least in certain areas) is not the same as it used to be.
yes I have rentals, and in my experience the quality of renters is much better because many people with good incomes who walked away from their homes are now renting. I have never had problems like yours. There are some easy ways to check yout tenants, and if you want to be a landlord, you need to do your homework. Also, I Florida it is very easy to get rid of problem renters.

Old 09-04-2012, 05:20 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,864 posts, read 9,519,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M_Indie_08 View Post
No, I can see through certain posters..... there are some that are doing better, but as any poll has shown..... many more are worse off

With that extra cash from doing better, you might want to purchase something to help with comprehension..

I do fine regardless of who is in power as well by the way....... just hate to see so man people suffering
Miss Cleo... is that you?!!

BTW, isn't TX the state that 'wingers always like to trot out as some sort of shining example of conservative "success"?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
Really, that's uncommon where you are? Although as a landlord myself, am not real keen on the bed-sheets-and-aluminum-foil-on-the-windows look!

BTW, would agree with Finn_Jarber (quality of renters has improved) AND floridasandy (the quality of renters ain't what it used to be), both of which depend heavily on the type of clientele you're renting to and the area. Used to have lotsa hi-tech renters in the Seattle area and usually found qualified folks within the first half dozen or so applicants.

But not long ago I relocated to rural NorCal after retirement, where the wages and economy are slim pickins, even in good times. And these days I gotta inteview at least a couple dozen applicants just to find somebody with a decent job! And as far as finding folks with "good credit", fuggedabout that one anymore!

IMHO, it's the "rust belt" phenom all over again... the hi-tech places are on the rebound, and the older, less-skilled areas are gonna take awhile (if ever) to catch up.

Last edited by mateo45; 09-04-2012 at 05:29 PM..

Old 09-04-2012, 05:23 PM

12,869 posts, read 13,998,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
yes I have rentals, and in my experience the quality of renters is much better because many people with good incomes who walked away from their homes are now renting. I have never had problems like yours. There are some easy ways to check yout tenants, and if you want to be a landlord, you need to do your homework. Also, I Florida it is very easy to get rid of problem renters.
i use a management company.

i suspect that some of the people who think they are "better off" are living at home and don't notice anything because their parents are footing the bills, or they live rent free.

if you own your property outright it has depreciated big-time-that's a net loss, not a gain.

i wonder if there are any statistics about people with "good incomes walking away", and what does that say about their sense of responsibility? i guess we have a new set of rules in our changed america.

i challenge anyone to tell me our country is better off with this massive debt level that we are being intentionally burdened with.

bad behavior is certainly being rewarded in this country, (from criminal politicians/bankers to people who don't honor their word to illegal immigrants to deadbeats who want to live rent free) and that is a shame.

Old 09-04-2012, 05:32 PM

Quote:
if you own your property outright it has depreciated big-time-that's a net loss, not a gain.
Most people have mortgages, and have refied and are saving big because of than, and since you live in FL, you know how property taxes have been adjusted to reflect the lower values, so people are saving in taxes as well.

Quote:
i wonder if there are any statistics about people with "good incomes walking away", and what does that say about their sense of responsibility? i guess we have a new set of rules in our changed america.
The new set of rules became the norm with the housing boom & bust 2002-2008, when a house was nothing more than an ATM machine. Yes, a lot of people walked away when their morgage was 300K and the house worth only 150K, or less, and they had already drained all the equity out during the boom times. They see it easier to walk away, rent for a few years and start over.

Old 09-04-2012, 05:37 PM

3,347 posts, read 2,883,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
Miss Cleo... is that you?!!

BTW, isn't TX the state that 'wingers always like to trot out as some sort of shining example of conservative "success"?!

Really, that's uncommon where you are? Although as a landlord myself, am not real keen on the bed-sheets-and-aluminum-foil-on-the-windows look!

BTW, would agree with Finn_Jarber (quality of renters has improved) AND floridasandy (the quality of renters ain't what it used to be), both of which depend heavily on the type of clientele you're renting to and the area. Used to have lotsa hi-tech renters in the Seattle area and usually found qualified folks within the first half dozen or so applicants.

But not long ago I relocated to rural NorCal after retirement, where the wages and economy are slim pickins, even in good times. And these days I gotta inteview at least a couple dozen applicants just to find somebody with a decent job! And as far as finding folks with "good credit", fuggedabout that one anymore!

IMHO, it's the "rust belt" phenom all over again... the hi-tech places are on the rebound, and the older, less-skilled areas are gonna take awhile (if ever) to catch up.

I don't know, Nancy Pelosi? Is that you?

Texas was pretty good to me and everyone else I know....... and I know many people of many different races and ethnicities......

I do enjoy your amusing anecdotes and fairy tales though

Old 09-04-2012, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post

the drapes were custom fitted to all the windows, including the bay window, so i left them there.

i provided them with "a home"- drapes, pool equipment, all appliances, fancy manatee mailbox, the works.

not anymore though.

Last edited by floridasandy; 09-04-2012 at 05:53 PM..

Old 09-04-2012, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Most people have mortgages, and have refied and are saving big because of than, and since you live in FL, you know how property taxes have been adjusted to reflect the lower values, so people are saving in taxes as well.

The new set of rules became the norm with the housing boom & bust 2002-2008, when a house was nothing more than an ATM machine. Yes, a lot of people walked away when their morgage was 300K and the house worth only 150K, or less, and they had already drained all the equity out during the boom times. They see it easier to walk away, rent for a few years and start over.
i live in florida and i know that what they are saving in property taxes they are paying out in insurance.

i just wish that we had people who would actually enforce the laws that are on the books and, if they don't like them, then change them-not just ignore the rules that don't work for them personally.

i know people who drained all the equity out of their homes, using their house as an ATM to fund their lifestyle, and now those same people are whining about getting evicted-and i find that interesting.

recently, i was bidding on a house (with me offering cash) and the other person getting a mortgage. the lot was terrific, but the house (which had been a beautiful house) now had mold issues from sitting vacant so long and from the previous owner being a jackass when he got foreclosed on and tearing the house up out of spite.

anyhow, the homeowner who purchased it with no money down just happened to have a surprise fire within 2 days of purchase and now has a beautiful lot and will probably be getting some insurance money to build another house on the property.

some of us still try and play by the rules, but it is getting increasingly difficult anymore.

don't tell me people with any assets aren't worrying about the massive debt level in this country, the rising social service needs, and the sequestration that is coming.

Last edited by floridasandy; 09-04-2012 at 06:00 PM..

Old 09-04-2012, 05:53 PM

8,348 posts, read 6,571,004 times
Yes, actually, my family IS better off now than 4 years ago.

My wife got a better paying job in the IT field, therefore we are now currently better off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections