U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are You Better Off Than You Were Four Years Ago?
YES 50 52.08%
NO 46 47.92%
Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 03:50 AM

2,366 posts, read 1,451,273 times

Advertisements

Maybe you should remind Obama's aides because they haven't a clue about our economy.

Obama Team Readjusts On 'Are You Better Off?' - Yahoo! News
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2012, 04:14 AM

21,887 posts, read 11,579,587 times
4 Years Ago We were at 10.6 Trillion in Debt. Now it is 16 Trillion despite Obama promising to lower the deficit.

4 Years Ago, Obama promised to lower earmarks to 1994 levels by Veto if necessary...we now have more earmarks.

4 Years Ago Obama promised to end no bid contracts for anything above 25K, he has done nothing on this.

4 Years Ago Obama promised to go through the budget to cut out waste, he has actually not passed a single budget and increased waste.

4 Years Ago Obama said a president uses executive privilege if he has something to hide and so shouldn't use it. Now we have over 200 dead Mexican civilians and counting and a dead US Border Agent and Obama covering up the details with executive privilege.

4 Years Ago Obama said it was illegal for a president to use any military action without a congressional vote to approve unless it was a direct and immediate emergency, what we got was Obama deliberately avoiding a vote in congress on Libya, because he didn't think he could win the argument.

Hope and Change is Hope Obama Changes to live up to his 2008 self.

Old 09-04-2012, 04:42 AM

5,503 posts, read 6,702,733 times
Yes there were scary times at the end of 2008. The country was in a recession and the housing crisis was taking out financial institutions. Bush and Paulson came in with TARP and took control of AIG to ease the crisis. Bernanke lowered rates to 0%. Bush gave GM a bridge loan to keep them solvent. Then Obama took over. Unemployment was 7%. Obama spent $816B on quid pro quo paybacks to his supporters in stimulus money. The administration said unemployment would never go over 8% if the humungous stimulus was passed. Unemployment went over 10%. The fed tried to bail out the administration by printing money. The idea was to make investments in the stock market more attractive. It worked. Stock prices soared for wall street. But the weakened dollar killed main street. Gas prices doubled and food prices soared. Consumers had less money for purchasing goods. Hundred of thousands left the workplace permanently causing the unemployment rate to appear to be improving. But it still never got below 8%. Obama continued to spend like a drunken sailor to try to get re-elected. He put the nation $5B more in debt, spending more in four years than even Bush spent in eight years and way way more than any other president.
The question is where do we go from here? Do we continue unabated spending and lead our country down the road to bankruptcy like Obama is proposing? Or do we put spending in check and promote pro-growth policies that will increase jobs and revenue like Romney/Ryan are proposing.

Old 09-04-2012, 05:33 AM

1,176 posts, read 1,714,927 times
I voted no because of the drop in home value which is a major asset. Since I am retired, I haven't lost my job. However, I also realize that there would be zero chance of finding another job if need be, since I have a couple of friends in their mid 50's who have been looking for almost 2 years - and we are all professionals.

Old 09-04-2012, 05:41 AM

73,521 posts, read 40,753,880 times
Much better. Four years ago was just plain scary. People in my company were being laid off left and right, the 401K lost 50% of its value, our house value was falling like a rock, and the nation as whole was losing 810 000 jobs PER MONTH and GDP was NEGTIVE 6%. In many ways it was the worst year in my life, and I am not young. Today, my 401K has more then doubled, my company is hiring again, the house values are gaining, and the nation as whole has been adding jobs and the GDP has been in positive territory. Yes, we need to add more jobs, but to answer the question "better or worse", the obvious answer is "much better", and it is simply because it can't get much worse than 2008.

Old 09-04-2012, 05:41 AM

13,818 posts, read 26,618,114 times
I am...but I still want Obama out!

Old 09-04-2012, 05:47 AM

22,232 posts, read 16,632,024 times
Banks and Wall Street fully recovered, large Business making record profits, Stock market up 100% ... people who are waiting for the phony "trickle down" are still in an economic bind. Those millions who have found work, thanks to Obama policies(AKA Not Trickle Down), are better off, the millions more who have not found work, are not better off. If we can get the Tnuts out of Congress and break Norquist stranglehold on GOP re. taxes. Common sense could win the day. Bills that acually would put people to work could be passed.

Old 09-04-2012, 06:02 AM

8,254 posts, read 12,017,589 times
The Repugs have done NOTHING to help a recovery. Their strategy has been Block and blame. I have NO interest in a party that offers so little. We certainly won't be better off with the party that got us where we are . They have no new ideas, nothing in history to draw from and no hope.

Old 09-04-2012, 06:03 AM

36,293 posts, read 36,941,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
LOVE this ad, with obama's own words. Ouch!!

GOP launches 'Obama Isn't Working' message at DNC

Romney camp has SO MUCH of this - pitting obama 2012 against obama 2008.
He must have fired his speech writers so he has to recycle. I wonder why this isn't a TV ad?

Old 09-04-2012, 06:09 AM

79,622 posts, read 39,164,962 times
4 years ago the markets had reverted back somewhere close to what would be their natural level. Wall Street and the politicians who owe their positions to those on Wall Street screamed that the sky was falling and caused an over reaction.

If things had been left alone, they would have settled down and then started back up on their own on a natural projectory. Instead we have allowed the government to create another bubble to make sure that Wall Street continues with their record profits while main street struggles because those programs to create this bubble are taking from main street this time to inflate the bubble.

We could have decided to go slow and steady four years ago but rather we decided to continue the failed bubble policies again.

Y2K was a fizzle also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections