U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are You Better Off Than You Were Four Years Ago?
YES 50 52.08%
NO 46 47.92%
Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 07:31 AM

29,409 posts, read 20,492,993 times

Advertisements

This pretty much sums it up..........

"We've Heard It All Before" (Extended Cut) - YouTube
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2012, 07:40 AM

16,876 posts, read 14,163,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizonite View Post
In an interview with George Stephanopoulos, President Obama stated that Americans are not better off than they were four years ago. He previously said in an interview with Matt Lauer, "if I don't have this done in three years, then this is gonna be a one term proposition."

Well Mr President, it's time to go.

Obama admits 'You are not better off than four years ago.' - YouTube

Obama One Term Proposition: "I Will Be Held Accountable" - YouTube

of course I am, each and every time gold goes up I am 1 step closer to retiring early. come on $3000 an ounce.

Old 09-04-2012, 08:27 AM

13,818 posts, read 26,679,614 times
Obama's campaigning against himself.

Old 09-04-2012, 09:10 AM

5,787 posts, read 4,341,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AONE View Post
The Repugs have done NOTHING to help a recovery. Their strategy has been Block and blame. I have NO interest in a party that offers so little. We certainly won't be better off with the party that got us where we are . They have no new ideas, nothing in history to draw from and no hope.
You seem to forget that Obama HIMSELF said in 2009 that HE would be held accountable and that if he didn't turn things around by his 3rd year, he wouldn't deserve re-election.

Are you contradicting him?

Furthermore, Obama had 2 years of complete control of Congress, so how did Republicans block his laser-like focus on jobs and the economy? They couldn't block ObamaCare which they and the majority of Americans opposed.

In fact, Obama and the Dems tried to say ObamaCare would create 400,000 jobs immediately. The only jobs it created were in the IRS.

You say Obama is about the future? Then why are so many speakers at their convention from 40 (Carter) and 20 (Clinton) years ago?

Only 28% of Americans think the country is headed in the right direction.....you are in that rare breed of people in complete denial about how badly Obama has screwed-up this nation.

Old 09-04-2012, 09:23 AM

1,212 posts, read 1,430,098 times
In early 2009 banks were dropping like files. I was seriously expecting the ATM network to crash so I was quietly stockpiling cash and a bit of food. I knew the basics of investments so I had diversified into small cap & large cap stocks, with a healthy mix of domestic, european, south american and pan-asian funds.

When the spit hit the fan, everything dropped by more or less the same amount. I all went down about 50%.

Things are still not great, but they are far better than they were. Since Obama was inagurated the DOW has climbed from 8000 to 13000. That's over 60% growth in 3.5 years!

After 2008 we cut discretionary expenses like meals out and leisure travel to save money. But things are looking good enough now that we enjoy the ocasional nice dinner for two and we're planning a week of diving in Bali soon.

So yeah, things are definitely better now than they were when Obama was inagurated.

It's not fair to compare Obama now to the the Obama we'd just met in Nov of '08. That's like asking someone who's been married for 5 years if they still feel like they did on their honeymoon. Overtime, the sense of starry-eyed wodner fades, but the sense of trust grows.

In 2008 maybe some people needed to believe that Superman had been elected president and he would save us all. He promised us hope and change, at a time when things looked hopeless and we were on a downward track. Maybe it was 1/3 BS, but to me that's 2/3 leadership as well. In tough times, you need a "hope monger" as president. (FDR famously said "The only thing we have to fear is fear iteself!" when he was elected at the height ot the depression)

Today, nobody believes Obama is superman, but I do believe that he is a very smart, honest, and descent family man who is doing the right thing.

He ended the war in Iraq. He got Bin Laden. He saved GM from bankruptcy (when the banks wouldn't). His healthcare reform is not perfect, but it's a BIG step in the right direction. and he's investing in our national infrastructure too.

Yes, the deficit is too high, but it's crazy for the GOP to complain about that when they won't even discuss any possibility of raising revenues.

The Bush tax cut was a 1-off give away. It was a bad idea that was never meant to be permanent. If the GOP won't let it expire, they have zero credibility to complain about the deficit.

Old 09-04-2012, 09:35 AM

12,794 posts, read 7,133,712 times
I'm much better off, and I have no problem saying that I did it on my own. Worked hard at work to get a new position, and started my own small business to make more money on the side that I can stick in my retirement account.

Old 09-04-2012, 09:39 AM

5,787 posts, read 4,341,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by analyze_this View Post

The Bush tax cut was a 1-off give away. It was a bad idea that was never meant to be permanent. If the GOP won't let it expire, they have zero credibility to complain about the deficit.

The Bush Tax Cuts brought-in RECORD government revenues and were paying down the debt faster than experts said was possible.

On top of that, the wealthy were actually paying more taxes than they do now.

Old 09-04-2012, 09:41 AM

79,628 posts, read 39,299,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by analyze_this View Post
In early 2009 banks were dropping like files. I was seriously expecting the ATM network to crash so I was quietly stockpiling cash and a bit of food. I knew the basics of investments so I had diversified into small cap & large cap stocks, with a healthy mix of domestic, european, south american and pan-asian funds.

When the spit hit the fan, everything dropped by more or less the same amount. I all went down about 50%.

Things are still not great, but they are far better than they were. Since Obama was inagurated the DOW has climbed from 8000 to 13000. That's over 60% growth in 3.5 years!
It did not grow because of fundementals. It grew simply because the government plowed so much money into the markets. We are not producing more. We are not creating jobs. These are supposed to be the drivers of the markets. Not devalueing the dollar.

Quote:
Yes, the deficit is too high, but it's crazy for the GOP to complain about that when they won't even discuss any possibility of raising revenues.
It's as crazy to refuse cuts. If taxes were doubled on the top wage earners we would only raise (taking actual realities out of the equation) $300 billion. The debt is 16 trillion. We are not about to double the rate so you are talking about a very small amount in the big picture.

But in the end I do believe we should demand back from those that we gave our hard earned money to so that Wall Street could continue on it's merry way.

Quote:
It wasn't 1 off. Obama extended it.

Old 09-04-2012, 09:43 AM

3,347 posts, read 2,875,247 times
Funny that this thread poll does not reflect a real poll that shows nationally signifacantly more people feel they are worse off today than 4 yrs ago

Go Dems with the fake accts on CD

Old 09-04-2012, 09:43 AM

35,105 posts, read 45,235,669 times
Yes. The value of my retirement accounts has doubled since Obama took over!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections