U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are You Better Off Than You Were Four Years Ago?
YES 50 52.08%
NO 46 47.92%
Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 10:04 AM

3,347 posts, read 2,874,824 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimar View Post
That's right, Democratic operatives go on citydata to lie to a bunch of people who can barely read and basically haven't figured out twitter yet. You've figured it all out!!

I, and my entire family basically are all a lot better off than four years ago, but we understand that a lot of people are not doing better and are in fact doing worse. Obama has done a lot of good, but no matter how many times people list his accomplishments they are casually dismissed. The one person who is least likely to fix this state of affairs though, is Mitt Romney.
Damn straight I figured it out

No, Romney and Obama are both equally ignorant of fixing this......
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

19,777 posts, read 12,818,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
Really? You somehow know what I think? Thats pretty ridiculous, but nice try.

Interest rates need to be set by the market, not artificially driven so low that nobody can save money.
Interest rates for federal securities ARE set by the market. Every Tuesday there is an auction where the bidders place bids on what the interest rates they will be willing to pay. The low bids are the ones accepted.

12,794 posts, read 7,130,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
That's great...good for you. I'm assuming that the nature of your business renders the utilization of infrasructure which includes roads, bridges, the Internet, telephones, electricity, etc. completely unnecessary.
Its sad that people think they are helpless to succeed without the government.

Take away all of those things and put us back in the stone ages and I'd have found a way to generate the extra income that I wanted. I used my brain to figure out something based on the available resources around me, and worked hard to make it happen.

Old 09-04-2012, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
Interest rates for federal securities ARE set by the market. Every Tuesday there is an auction where the bidders place bids on what the interest rates they will be willing to pay. The low bids are the ones accepted.

Bernanke Tells People To Stop Saving And Start Spending - Forbes

Quote:
In his post-FOMC press conference, Fed Chairman Ben Bernanke recognized his zero-interest rate policy hurts savers. Bernanke made it crystal clear that his intention is to make people spend, practically telling savers to get out there and invest.
Quote:
Bernanke admitted he understood savers were getting a real bad deal.

Old 09-04-2012, 10:12 AM

19,777 posts, read 12,818,985 times
That is possible because there are lots of bidders looking to grab U.S. securities. If there were no bidders to trade money for U.S. debt, the rates would rise.

Old 09-04-2012, 10:15 AM

13,818 posts, read 26,675,867 times
Quote:
That's great...good for you. I'm assuming that the nature of your business renders the utilization of infrasructure which includes roads, bridges, the Internet, telephones, electricity, etc. completely unnecessary.
The last time this argument was used, it was a disaster.

Quit while you're not ahead.

Old 09-04-2012, 10:17 AM

3,179 posts, read 2,904,273 times
I see the 29 food stamp recipients here at CD answered yes.

Old 09-04-2012, 10:17 AM

13,893 posts, read 12,621,176 times
Quote:
lol. You can screech about that 'til the cows come home, and it's still the most pathetic excuse I've heard in my life.

Unbelievable that people are still spewing that dumb mantra.

Old 09-04-2012, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
That is possible because there are lots of bidders looking to grab U.S. securities. If there were no bidders to trade money for U.S. debt, the rates would rise.
You are talking about two different things, the FMOC sets the rates that impact our savings by manipulating the supply of money.

How the Fed Works — The American Magazine

8) How does the Fed set rates?

Through its operations in the open market, the Fed adds or subtracts money to hit its rate target (Figure 2). If the Fed wants to raise rates by one-quarter of a point, for example, it can sell Treasury securities to banks in its system. The banks get the securities, and, in payment, they send the Fed money that had previously been used to meet reserve requirements. The banks now need to borrow from other banks to replenish their reserves. This demand for credit drives up interest rates. The open-market process may sound convoluted, but it works. If the Fed wants to lower rates, it can buy securities from banks, which receive money that lets them reduce their demand for reserves.

Old 09-04-2012, 10:21 AM

990 posts, read 873,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo2000 View Post
yep. if you're not, then maybe you should learn to pick yourself up from your bootstraps, right???
These people on the right are saying both "I don't want no help from the government!" and "The government hasn't done anything to help me!"...so which is it?

Me personally, I went from being under a pile of credit card and automobile debt to being a homeowner with a fully-paid off car and a salary that is 33% higher than it was when Obama was elected...not to mention my massive upswing in my investments in that time period. 4 more years like that, and I'll be set for life.

Or we can elect Gary Johnson, who will (try to) end the wars, legalize marijuana, open trade to Cuba and put a stop to the Christian Right's War on Sanity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections