Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2012, 03:19 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,402,787 times

Advertisements

Swayed no, more motivated to work, yes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2012, 03:23 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,839,291 times
I think, like another poster mentioned, they're a "party for the party."

I don't know anyone IRL who is independent and was swayed one way or another due to a convention. I know a lot of uber Dems and more moderate Republicans than far right wingers. The uber Dems have been who-hawing about Obama since 2007 and it hasn't stopped. The Republicans I know, usually hold their nose and vote Republican even though they feel the party is abandoning them - the moderate faction of the party. They like Romney because he is moderate.

I knew from beginning of this election cycle that I was going to vote for Obama and the conventions didn't sway me from that thought. I did watch the RNC to see what exactly Mitt was about being I also do think he is somewhat of a moderate, but IMO he is mediocre and just doesn't seem like he would do anything special in comparison with the sitting president.

I don't remember if I even watched the convention last time. I knew I wasn't voting for McCain so I'm pretty sure I didn't watch even though I used to love McCain back in 2000 and did vote for him in the primary and was kind of peeved Bush won the candidacy that year and the presidency. I feel that was McCain's time and in 2008, I felt he was too old, prejudiced, I know but true.

Old 09-07-2012, 03:37 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,404,464 times
Default After the RNC bombed, Pubs don't want them to matter

The DNC this year was exceptional and incredible. I can't remember a time when the choice has been so clear that the superior party is the DEMOCRATIC party. Clinton was extraordinary. Michelle Obama. Deval Patrick. Joe Biden. Elizabeth Warren. John Kerry. All exceptional speeches. President Obama's speech was passionate, extraordinary, and moving. Of course this will sway MILLIONS...and don't you forget it either.

Don't make excuses for the RNC. It was a lousy convention with an inferior ideology. The speakers were all bumbling, babbling, bunging, insincere imbeciles. Millions were swayed by their lousy, uninspiring performance.

The race is OVER. Enjoy President Obama's second term.

Last edited by LexusNexus; 09-07-2012 at 03:46 PM..

Old 09-07-2012, 04:28 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,510,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Lexus View Post
The DNC this year was exceptional and incredible. I can't remember a time when the choice has been so clear that the superior party is the DEMOCRATIC party. Clinton was extraordinary. Michelle Obama. Deval Patrick. Joe Biden. Elizabeth Warren. John Kerry. All exceptional speeches. President Obama's speech was passionate, extraordinary, and moving. Of course this will sway MILLIONS...and don't you forget it either.

Don't make excuses for the RNC. It was a lousy convention with an inferior ideology. The speakers were all bumbling, babbling, bunging, insincere imbeciles. Millions were swayed by their lousy, uninspiring performance.

The race is OVER. Enjoy President Obama's second term.
totally agree.

Old 09-07-2012, 04:52 PM

27,623 posts, read 21,150,313 times
The DNC fired up the base for sure and in that mode you are in the spirit to get out the vote. In that respect the convention was a huge success. It was a great big party that made you sorry you didn't get to N.C.

Old 09-07-2012, 06:48 PM

5,503 posts, read 7,342,881 times
Yeah the base was really fired up. They couldn't even get 65,000 to fill the stadium. hahaha. And Obama's speech. "Uh this is going to take longer than I thought. Because now I am the president. It will take a few more years before we get unemployment below 8% unless we adjust the LPR some more." What a failure!

Old 09-09-2012, 01:24 AM

29,220 posts, read 22,404,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shpanda View Post
I'd say about 95% of Americans don't watch the conventions. They're pretty worthless.
The Democratic convention drew a bigger audience than the opening game of the NFL. 6 million watched the convention, 2.5 million watched the game.
So your percentage may be right, panda, but 6 million folks are still a big old bunch of voters. After all, only about 47% of Americans vote at all, and the number goes down much more often than goes up.

Old 09-09-2012, 01:26 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,056,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucsLose View Post
I dont know of any, but apparently some people are swayed, when you see poll bumps after these things. But do any of you know of someone who gets swayed by these things?

They are nothing more than pep rallies. Pep rallies of the worst kind. Pep rallies for and by politicians. Meaning, how much can you honestly take what they say as serious and truth?

Unless you are swayed not to vote for someone based on the self serving bs these things are filled with, you have to be an idiot to say, wow, great speech, Im going to vote for that person. Especially if you take the time to research and see if that person has shown in their lives that they even believe or practice what told you.
No, but I wish I could "exit poll" churches today on the "NOOOOOOOO!" and "booing God" part of the DNC.

Old 09-09-2012, 10:13 AM

29,220 posts, read 22,404,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
No, but I wish I could "exit poll" churches today on the "NOOOOOOOO!" and "booing God" part of the DNC.
There is always some stupid stuff that happens in conventions.

I'll see your booing God and raise you with the Repubs throwing peanuts at a black camerawoman.

Neither party is full of saints, and neither is made up of only intelligent people. There are always going to be a few who live up to the worst charges the other side hurls.

Old 09-09-2012, 10:45 AM

39,093 posts, read 51,289,449 times
The booing God BS tells me a lot about Obama versus Romney. Obama made his party put God and Jerusalem back in the platform, because that is his position. Romney did nothing on his part to put rape and incest and to save the life of the mother into the Republican platform as justifications for abortion even though that is his position. Obama tells his party what to do; Romney does what he is told by his. Leadership.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections