Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2012, 10:38 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,364,082 times

Advertisements

Paul Ryan’s marathon lie - Salon.com

I became interested in this only because I'm an avid runner and also happened to catch the original interview by Hugh Hewitt where Ryan claimed to have run a sub-3 hour marathon.

It sounds to me like Ryan was never a serious competitive runner, and given that the race was over 20 years ago, I find it entirely understandable that he didn't remember. I can remember race times down to the second for PR's & recent races. But I used to play basketball a lot just for fun, though I was never very good. And I sure in hell can't tell you how many points I scored from a game over 20 years because I didn't take it that seriously.

Salon writer Joan Walsh also needs to learn that if you're going to get all pendantic, you'd better make sure you have a clue as to what your talking about. She writes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salon
Runners World got the scoop, because marathoners know that Ryan’s claim, if true, was extraordinary.”
Sorry, running a sub-three hour marathon is not 'extraordinary.' In the 2012 Boston Marathon, for example 529 out of 15,000 male runners finished in under 3 hours. Sub-three hours is good, but not great. It's just under 7 minutes per mile, which is not really a punishing pace. If you do it at age 73, as Ed Whitlock did, it would be extraordinary. But not at age 20-something, as Ryan claimed to have done.

So sorry, there is no 'Ryan marathon lie.' This Salon writer is just an idiot (she admits she's not even a runner). Now how many of the other purported Ryan 'lies' are actually instances of lefties not knowing a pair of bun huggers from a pair of Hun buggers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2012, 10:41 PM

6,933 posts, read 8,495,383 times
That Paul Ryan is a congenital liar isn't in question. Whether he lied this time or not. He can't stop himself, When confronted with telling the truth or telling a lie, he defaults to telling a lie.

Old 09-05-2012, 10:43 PM

998 posts, read 1,325,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
That Paul Ryan is a congenital liar isn't in question. Whether he lied this time or not. He can't stop himself, When confronted with telling the truth or telling a lie, he defaults to telling a lie.

Sounds like Mitt

Old 09-05-2012, 10:46 PM

1,698 posts, read 1,823,310 times
How many miles is a marathon just for my information?

Old 09-05-2012, 10:52 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,529,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimar View Post
How many miles is a marathon just for my information?
Paul Ryan said it's 34.7 miles, but then admitted he just made that number up off the top of his head, then explained that the one he ran was uphill the entire way.

Just kidding, it's 26.2 miles.

Old 09-05-2012, 11:01 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,364,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
Since you don't present any examples or arguments, I'm going to guess that you think this just because Daily Kos or Huffpo told you. So the question remains open: If the 'Ryan marathon lie' is just a case of lefty idiocy, how many of the other purported 'Ryan lies' are the same?

Old 09-05-2012, 11:08 PM

1,698 posts, read 1,823,310 times
Ok, just for my information, how fast does the average runner run a mile during a marathon?

I was a TERRIBLE runner and athlete in high school. The only thing I could manage well was serving a volleyball. Don't judge me, I'm a very good cook! Anyway, I actually ran a 13+ minute mile I was that pathetic. But I STILL manage to remember that.

Old 09-05-2012, 11:14 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,529,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimar View Post
Ok, just for my information, how fast does the average runner run a mile during a marathon?
The average time for a marathon run is about 4 hours and 20-30 minutes for men and about 4 hours and 50 minutes for women. For men the average pace is around a 10 minute mile.

Old 09-05-2012, 11:18 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,609,037 times
"Ryan had said in a radio interview last week that his personal best was "Under three, high twos. I had a two hour and fifty-something."

Sounds pretty specific. Given that this he's only ever run one marathon, how hard would it be to remember the accurate time or thereabouts? I'm sure he told the lie often enough that he probably had begun to believe that was his actual race time. Oh, and that he had actually run multiple marathons.

"In the interview, after Ryan told Hewitt that he ran in high school, Hewitt asked if Ryan still runs. Ryan replied, "Yeah, I hurt a disc in my back, so I don't run marathons anymore. I just run ten miles or less." When Hewitt asked Ryan what his personal best is, Ryan replied, "Under three, high twos. I had a two hour and fifty-something."

Paul Ryan Has Not Run Sub-3:00 Marathon | Newswire

Old 09-05-2012, 11:33 PM

46,963 posts, read 26,005,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Sorry, running a sub-three hour marathon is not 'extraordinary.' In the 2012 Boston Marathon, for example 529 out of 15,000 male runners finished in under 3 hours.
Better than top 4%. For an amateur athlete, that is in fact damn good. The top 500 at the Boston marathon will hold a lot of Olympic and World Championship contenders.

Quote:
Sub-three hours is good, but not great. It's just under 7 minutes per mile, which is not really a punishing pace.
At a marathon distance, it's achievable for 1 in 25 of those already in sufficient shape to run a marathon. Or let's say 1 in 20, as some undoubtedly didn't finish.

Quote:
So sorry, there is no 'Ryan marathon lie.'
See, that's where you really should have clicked the Runner's World link. Because his campaign was kind enough/dumb enough to tell what marathon and when, and as anyone who's ever been in the company of marathoners will know, they're manic about records. (In fact, the trick is to get them to shut up.)

So... Runner's World asked the kind folks at the Grandma's Marathon in Duluth, Minnesota if they could please have a look at their results? No Ryan in 1991, as was his campaign's claim. But Runner's World are nothing if not persistent, and lo and behold:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Your own damn link
Runner's World checked 11 years of results for Grandma's Marathon, from 1988 through 1998, and found a finisher in the 1990 race by the name of Paul D. Ryan, 20, of Minneapolis.

Ryan's middle name is Davis, and he was 20 in 1990. The finishing time listed was 4 hours, 1 minute and 25 seconds.
Now wiggle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections