Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are You Better Off Than You Were Four Years Ago?
YES 50 52.08%
NO 46 47.92%
Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2012, 04:43 PM

5,787 posts, read 4,715,925 times

Advertisements

Obama in 2011: Voters not better economically than four years ago

President Obama’s top surrogates on Monday pushed the message that Americans are better off today than they were four years ago.

"Absolutely," answered Obama deputy campaign manager Stephanie Cutter on NBC's "Today" show.

Yet, in a 2011 interview, Obama himself said voters were not better off economically. “Well, I don't think they're better off than they were four years ago,” the president told ABC News last October.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2012, 04:59 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,762,061 times
As for whether we are better off, let me put it this way.

You are jogging down the street and some drunk frat boys (Wall Street) run you down (they didn't mean to, honest!) in their PowerStroke 350 on their way back from a 20 kegger. A guy finds you by the road and runs you to the hospital. The doctor sees you, with broken back, legs, ribs, and punctured spleen,etc. He tends to you, stabilizes you, puts you together with a few pounds of metal and pins. After a few months of bed rest, you take your first walk. It hurts like hell. You keep at it. You've lost a lot of muscle and all. Slowly, slowly you begin to gain strength. Eventually, you are able to hobble a bit, then even to jog again, though with a bit of a shuffling gate.

On one of your slow, but hard-earned runs, you see a familiar truck coming up in the opposite lane. A frat boy hangs out the window, smiles, and calls out, "Ya know, you ain't running like you used to, that Doctor must have been a real quack!" To howls of laughter and high fives from the boys, and the truck roars off.

Old 09-03-2012, 05:07 PM

5,787 posts, read 4,715,925 times
Poor Fiddle can't figure it out.

Here's some help:

• Unemployment: 7.8% then, 8.3% now
  • Median income: $54,983 then, $50,964 now
  • Gas prices: $1.85 per gallon then, $3.78 now
  • National debt: $10.6 trillion then, $16 trillion now
Not to mention Americans for the first time ever in their entire history are being FORCED to buy somehting they may not want to of face a TAX for not doing so. That's called "freedom" by Liberals.

Old 09-03-2012, 08:11 PM

1,692 posts, read 1,960,091 times
It's a poor question to ask because, realistically, 75% of voters are better off than they were 4 years ago. We are - much better off. Those who were hit by the recession were hit hard, but the majority of people in this country are doing fine.

Old 09-03-2012, 08:16 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,180,801 times
A duplicate thread? Seriously? Or did you forget that you already posted this today, and just like this thread, never read what Obama said after that comma, you just posted only part of a sentence.

What did Obama say after the comma jt? I doubt you read that far.

Old 09-03-2012, 08:18 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,745,966 times
They have nothing to run on and don't even have their own quotes straight....

I'm just going to watch the DNC to see how fast they will start the blame game to bash Bush, Romney and have nothing to run on...will be hilarious to see them go down...
Quote:
Originally Posted by jt800 View Post
Obama in 2011: Voters not better economically than four years ago

President Obama’s top surrogates on Monday pushed the message that Americans are better off today than they were four years ago.

"Absolutely," answered Obama deputy campaign manager Stephanie Cutter on NBC's "Today" show.

Yet, in a 2011 interview, Obama himself said voters were not better off economically. “Well, I don't think they're better off than they were four years ago,” the president told ABC News last October.

Old 09-03-2012, 08:23 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,762,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by db108108 View Post
It's a poor question to ask because, realistically, 75% of voters are better off than they were 4 years ago. We are - much better off. Those who were hit by the recession were hit hard, but the majority of people in this country are doing fine.
Good point. This is exactly the type question that people will cherry pick facts to support (like jt800) or deny. I am doing much better, except for my pesky house. But I really don't see how Obama or Romney are going to juice up another housing bubble for me.

Old 09-03-2012, 08:27 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,180,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
Good point. This is exactly the type question that people will cherry pick facts to support (like jt800) or deny. I am doing much better, except for my pesky house. But I really don't see how Obama or Romney are going to juice up another housing bubble for me.
Heck my industry I am in, architecture, is much better than it was four years ago when firms were shedding jobs at an extremely high rate during the end of the Bush era and into the Obama era. Now it has stabled out, with no more mass layoffs, and firms are actually hiring again, depending on where you live.

So yes, things are better for me now than they were four years ago, now I actually have hope on finding work in my field and that it might actually lead to something good.

Old 09-03-2012, 09:51 PM

1,692 posts, read 1,960,091 times
I think the reason that Reagan got away with this question was because inflation of around 13% all throughout 1980 gave people a constant visual reminder that things weren't going well. Even if you had a job, your spending power was being constantly reduced because of that high rate - the highest in 33 years.

Inflation right now is about 2%. jtGOP can spout of gas prices all he wants to, but the fact is that they have been higher than they are right now. Gas has been between $2.50 and $4 pretty much since Katrina, with a few dips below that range. The drop in median income more reflects those out of work than those with work - employment wages have been rising. Gas prices will drop throughout the fall, as they typically do.

So yes, while things certainly suck for those unemployed, those who ARE employed are probably not feeling all of the doom-and-gloom that the GOP is projecting. Here in Ohio, for example, things are pretty rosy right now.

I know that Romney is going to try to push that question, but realistically, it's not one that he can win on.

Old 09-03-2012, 09:58 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,944,793 times
LOVE this ad, with obama's own words. Ouch!!

GOP launches 'Obama Isn't Working' message at DNC

Romney camp has SO MUCH of this - pitting obama 2012 against obama 2008.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections