U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2012, 04:24 AM

22,232 posts, read 16,632,024 times

Advertisements

How in the world did the Democratic Party become the Military and Foreign Policy Party? Or, how did the Repubs lose that identity? Certainly not in just one Presidential term.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2012, 08:44 AM

10,092 posts, read 7,595,777 times
I think it changed during the last Bush administration. A big chunk of it is that the neocons went off the deep end and lost credibility. I voted for Bush twice, but it was a big wakeup call for lots of people when we squandered the goodwill we had abroad after 911, and then when we figured out that being in Iraq had basically nothing to do with going after terrorists. Another example out of many: the color coded terror alerts are what disgusted me the most. When I figured out that they raised them to gain support for political issues vs. real threats, it was the beginning of the end. Nobody likes being manipulated and duped when they are at their most vulnerable--when they expect their leaders to actually lead.

People may laugh at Joe Biden's little gaffes, but he's been a real asset to the Obama administration's foreign policy team--over 35 years in the Senate, most of it spent in the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, with a stint as Chair. Hillary Clinton has never been my favorite person, but no one can take away the job she's done as Secretary of State--she is persistent, smart, and tough. Foreign policy has become the shining star of the Obama administration, and rightly so.

Old 09-07-2012, 09:26 AM

46,038 posts, read 32,431,368 times
The Pubs don't like talking about soldiers after they come back from war and need our help, they only like talking about them when we are sending them to war. It was very clear how both parties treat our veterans at these conventions.

Old 09-07-2012, 09:43 AM

10,092 posts, read 7,595,777 times
Foreign policy experience is a huge part of the job of the presidency, and the Romney camp is falling flat on their face--they seem to be way in over their heads. The failure to acknowledge our soldiers returning home at the convention was an eyebrow raiser out here in the midwest/great plains. We send a disproportionate number of our rural kids to the military, and it shocked lots of conservative military families that there wasn't even an acknowledgement of their service and sacrifice. That and saying that our greatest foreign threat is...Russia? WTH?

Last edited by mb1547; 09-07-2012 at 10:02 AM..

Old 09-07-2012, 09:46 AM

7,149 posts, read 10,441,692 times
GOP during the RNC did not say anything about the war in the middle east he have been in last few years. All the GOP talked about was starting new wars with Russia & Iran the 2 worst countries to go to war with and increasing defense budget even more even though we have currently the largest defense budget in the world by a lot

Old 09-07-2012, 09:50 AM

13,573 posts, read 7,433,262 times
I loved that Obama mentioned Romney's ill-received foray into Europe this summer in his speech last night. That drew a huge laugh from the crowd, remembering him stumbling around insulting and alienating our allies. That being said, though, the Romney/Ryan ticket is absolutely devoid of any foreign policy experience, expertise or gravitas. That should truly give the electorate pause when deciding who to cast their ballot for in November.

Old 09-07-2012, 10:01 AM

36,293 posts, read 36,941,013 times
The Democrat Party of today reminds me of the book 1984. They name things the opposite of what they are. They say things that are the opposite of what they do. It's actually quite scary.

Old 09-07-2012, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
I loved that Obama mentioned Romney's ill-received foray into Europe this summer in his speech last night. That drew a huge laugh from the crowd, remembering him stumbling around insulting and alienating our allies. That being said, though, the Romney/Ryan ticket is absolutely devoid of any foreign policy experience, expertise or gravitas. That should truly give the electorate pause when deciding who to cast their ballot for in November.
And the scary fact is if Romney/Ryan were to take office, they would simply surround themselves with foreign advisers from the Bush era. Might be one of the many reasons why they didn't want Bush and Cheney at their convention, they didn't want to remind people who they would be getting back in office.

Old 09-07-2012, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
The Democrat Party of today reminds me of the book 1984. They name things the opposite of what they are. They say things that are the opposite of what they do. It's actually quite scary.
Yeah, I love that book and I don't think you have read it correctly. Do you remember the wars with different random countries that were not important, that reads like the GOP platform, we will keep you occupied with random wars around the world that we send your young to while we spy on every move you do (Patriot Act ring a bell?)

Old 09-07-2012, 10:06 AM

16,380 posts, read 20,329,126 times
Romney cannot even properly make small talk comments with other country's leaders without screwing up and saying improper comments that could sour a relationship.

Can you imagine him negotiating with a tough leader of another country during a tense situation??? Where you must be highly skilled in negotiation and be able to not only understand the words, but must also be highly skilled in reading between the lines and understand body language, past history, culture, etc.

Romney FAILS on foreign policy. He would have us in a new war quickly. To make matters worse, many countries would not back the USA in negotiations because Romney would have clearly been in the wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections