Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2012, 03:26 PM

15,047 posts, read 8,868,945 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
How about pulling your head out of the sand a realizing both parties got us into this mess and it's been festering for decades.
Okay, I will concede that. Yes, it was in the making for awhile, and yes, it was aided and abetted by both sides, and that includes the 8 years Bush was in office that immediately preceded the crisis, two terms that the GOP held the office that they're now acting like never happened. See, that wasn't so hard.

Now here's the next question--why does the GOP think that something that, to use your words, was "festering for decades" should be magically "fixed" in four years?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2012, 03:36 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,118,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
Okay, I will concede that. Yes, it was in the making for awhile, and yes, it was aided and abetted by BOTH sides, and that includes the 8 years Bush was in office that immediately preceded the crisis that the GOP is pretending never happened. See, that wasn't so hard.

Now here's the next question--why does the GOP think that something that, to use your words, was "festering for decades" should be magically "fixed" in four?
You have not factored in the obstruction with a record amount of fillibusters. With that climate, it could not be fixed in twenty years, if ever. They want him to fail so badly, these believers in heaven and hell would sell their souls to the devil to have it be so...if they haven't already.

Old 09-07-2012, 03:48 PM

11,578 posts, read 13,944,634 times
Quote:
Now here's the next question--why does the GOP think that something that, to use your words, was "festering for decades" should be magically "fixed" in four years?
I don't think anyone thought it would be completely fixed but things clearly should be a lot better by now. The problem was the economy was essentially put on the back burner for the first 2 years of this Administration. This was a huge mistake. If things were as bleak as they are claiming now, I'm pretty sure Obamacare could have waited until things improved economy/jobwise. But instead, we are essentially right where we were 4 years ago.

Old 09-10-2012, 04:55 AM

1,571 posts, read 2,000,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
No president in history has done more to wreck the US government than GW Bush. Bush is responsible for two unfunded wars costing trillions of dollars and if that wasn't enough the Bush tax cuts was the choke hold.

President Obama inherited the worst conditions of our country since the Great Depression. GW Bush deserves all the blame.
My, my, my, my.... You certainly do have a short memory. Alzheimer's??? No, can't be that. It takes the short-term memory. Must be a young fella.

Back in the '60s, a single-income family of four could make ends meet.
Back in the "80s, it took two incomes to make ends meet. Husband and wife both had to work.
About the mid '90s, wages became STAGNANT.

Ironically, bush's actions actually delayed the worst of the recession. Remember the first round of tax rebates? You might remember the phrase Bush used. "KICK-START THE ECONOMY." But, what he didn't expect was that people used the money to catch up on bills they were already falling behind on, and very little got into the economy to make it flow again. Even with the second round of rebates, it was too little, too late.

The fact is that the recession was already started during Clinton's second term. The "stagnant wages". But, Clinton was too busy snorting cocaine to see it. (Before you start hammering on me, the information is on the internet. Do a little research. Clinton, perforated septum. He was a junky when he was governor of Arkansas, and even a bigger junky as President. Must have worked well with a "war on drugs", and the secret service getting him his "fix" for the hour. Makes me wonder just how much Hillary uses.)

So, the "roots" of the recession go back to Kennedy, LBJ, and Nixon. Bush didn't realize just how bad it was, and the two you're listening to today, bickering back and forth, have no idea what they are supposed to do about it. Romney has already stated that he does not care about the "middle-class" or poor. But, in order to get the economy flowing again, the income level with the largest number of people need to have the money to spend. Guess which income level that is. Looks like Romney isn't going to get the job done. And, Obama has already had years to demonstrate that he has no idea what the "little folks" need. A good analogy would be, if your car has a flat tire, he'll fill your tank with gas.

And, that article at the beginning of this thread... That reporter has a short memory, tunnel vision, and blinders on. Bush wasn't any worse than any of the rest we've had in that office in the last twenty years.

One of the worst things they did was to consider food and energy as "not part of the cost of living". Wage earners? Just give them a platter of food for the holidays and they'll be good for the whole year. Energy? Yeah, in the northern latitudes, it will get cold and they'll freeze, but that's ok. In spring, they'll thaw out and go back to work. Want to trace that out and see just where it originated? It's a major factor in the recession as well. You can go back and find things that are over fifteen years old, can't you?

Old 09-10-2012, 07:16 AM

9,982 posts, read 13,757,898 times
Quote:
Republicans want to pretend their party didn't exist until about three years ago. If you listened to them at their convention you would think that they suddenly woke up in January of 2009, looked around at the terrible state of the country, and decided to form a political party to deal with it. They had NOTHING to do with ANYTHING that happened in this country before the moment President Obama raised his hand and took the oath of office.

Who was George W. Bush? He must have belonged to some OTHER political party...
Haha! Your paragraph above sounds exactly like the TEA PARTY. They arose, or more accurately went nationwide, in reaction to Obama. We all know how phony the whole premise is, because we know the full story.

And I completely agree that when we talk lousing leaders AND lousy voters, we think Bush II. He proved himself awful in his first term, but folks reelected the guy. Amazing. And instead of being a little sheepish for foisting that buffoon on us, the GOP is in full out lynch mob mode on the guy Americans sent it to clean up the mess. Good Lord, they have absolutely no shame.

As for Romney, I don't blame him for Bush's incompetence, but you would think he would want to distance himself from Bush's policies. I have seen zero evidence of that. It is like he thinks we don't know how they turned out.

Old 09-10-2012, 07:22 AM

9,982 posts, read 13,757,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_windwalker View Post
My, my, my, my.... You certainly do have a short memory. Alzheimer's??? No, can't be that. It takes the short-term memory. Must be a young fella.

Back in the '60s, a single-income family of four could make ends meet.
Back in the "80s, it took two incomes to make ends meet. Husband and wife both had to work.
About the mid '90s, wages became STAGNANT.

Ironically, bush's actions actually delayed the worst of the recession. Remember the first round of tax rebates? You might remember the phrase Bush used. "KICK-START THE ECONOMY." But, what he didn't expect was that people used the money to catch up on bills they were already falling behind on, and very little got into the economy to make it flow again. Even with the second round of rebates, it was too little, too late.
The fact is that the recession was already started during Clinton's second term. The "stagnant wages". But, Clinton was too busy snorting cocaine to see it. (Before you start hammering on me, the information is on the internet. Do a little research. Clinton, perforated septum. He was a junky when he was governor of Arkansas, and even a bigger junky as President. Must have worked well with a "war on drugs", and the secret service getting him his "fix" for the hour. Makes me wonder just how much Hillary uses.)

So, the "roots" of the recession go back to Kennedy, LBJ, and Nixon. Bush didn't realize just how bad it was, and the two you're listening to today, bickering back and forth, have no idea what they are supposed to do about it. Romney has already stated that he does not care about the "middle-class" or poor. But, in order to get the economy flowing again, the income level with the largest number of people need to have the money to spend. Guess which income level that is. Looks like Romney isn't going to get the job done. And, Obama has already had years to demonstrate that he has no idea what the "little folks" need. A good analogy would be, if your car has a flat tire, he'll fill your tank with gas.

And, that article at the beginning of this thread... That reporter has a short memory, tunnel vision, and blinders on. Bush wasn't any worse than any of the rest we've had in that office in the last twenty years.

One of the worst things they did was to consider food and energy as "not part of the cost of living". Wage earners? Just give them a platter of food for the holidays and they'll be good for the whole year. Energy? Yeah, in the northern latitudes, it will get cold and they'll freeze, but that's ok. In spring, they'll thaw out and go back to work. Want to trace that out and see just where it originated? It's a major factor in the recession as well. You can go back and find things that are over fifteen years old, can't you?
Good post. You bring up some good points about the origins of the meltdown, but you are dead wrong about the thrust of this thread. Bush IS the worst president in the last century. He was a terrible leader. The Mission Accomplished photo op and the "Where's the WMD?" skit show what fool he was. As do the double war double tax cut combo. Nope, he stank like a rotting corpse under the bed, and the minute Obama is compared to that guy, he looks like a genius and saint.

And I think the American people need to remember what it was like the last time the GOP had complete power. I would dial this back a bit if they had had a major change of heart, and were now putting forward thoughtful, centrist ideas. Instead, they have lurched much further to the right since Bush, seemingly incapable of introspection or self-correction.

Old 09-10-2012, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
Good post. You bring up some good points about the origins of the meltdown, but you are dead wrong about the thrust of this thread. Bush IS the worst president in the last century. He was a terrible leader. The Mission Accomplished photo op and the "Where's the WMD?" skit show what fool he was. As do the double war double tax cut combo. Nope, he stank like a rotting corpse under the bed, and the minute Obama is compared to that guy, he looks like a genius and saint.

And I think the American people need to remember what it was like the last time the GOP had complete power. I would dial this back a bit if they had had a major change of heart, and were now putting forward thoughtful, centrist ideas. Instead, they have lurched much further to the right since Bush, seemingly incapable of introspection or self-correction.
I don't know that I agree with you that he was the worst. (Nixon comes to mind. Reagan didn't do us any favors when he subsidized companies to move our jobs and incomes to other countries.) But, unlike most, he chose lies that he could get caught at. Kind of like his father's "READ MY LIPS" taxes that cost him the second term. There were a few times that I considered G W Bush to be somewhat "IQ challenged" when he appeared, time after time, on national television, talking about how "The days of the Iraqi Dictator are numbered". Sort of like Obama telling the world (which did not happen) that we knew exactly where Osama Bin Laden was 3 months before the mission . How many of Iraq's billions of dollars were being returned to that country, and vanished without a trace. We had to dig into our own pockets to come up with it and send it over there again. Someone was not the sharpest knife in the drawer. But, it doesn't stop there.

My nephew, a sargeant in the National Guard, was in Iraq for two tours. He was there, operating a back-hoe, when the first of the mass graves was dug up. He was one of the guys that was moving missiles from a bunker to a warehouse. Some were identified as having chemical warheads, others as biological. He says that one week after they were moved to the warehouse, they vanished. No one knew who removed them or where to, but they had moved more than thirty missiles to the warehouse. Once they vanished, Bush no longer had any WMDs to show off. But, my nephew is not the only one that says he's seen them. There's a guy in Michigan's UP that was a civilian contractor in Iraq, driving a truck, and said he saw them being moved to the warehouse, but has no idea where they went from there.

No, I'm not trying to elevate Bush. America saw him as the "lessor of the evils" at the time of the elections. Who else would you have put in there, John Kerry? I never knew, until John Kerry ran for office, that if I had gotten 3 purple hearts, it would have been an automatic ticket home. And, two of his were "SELF-INFLICTED", just to get that ticket. His father was a ranking officer, SO HE KNEW. Looking back at the actions of previous Presidents, I don't see him as deserving as much flack as he's been getting. 9/11 happened early in his administration, and it shook the very foundations of any programs he had in mind. But, I don't see him as deserving any medals either. I've often thought that invading Iraq had far more to do with "Daddy missed Saddam, so I'll make sure I get him". And, 9/11 gave him a spring-board for that.

Old 09-10-2012, 11:08 PM

1,698 posts, read 1,822,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_windwalker View Post
I don't know that I agree with you that he was the worst. (Nixon comes to mind. Reagan didn't do us any favors when he subsidized companies to move our jobs and incomes to other countries.) But, unlike most, he chose lies that he could get caught at. Kind of like his father's "READ MY LIPS" taxes that cost him the second term. There were a few times that I considered G W Bush to be somewhat "IQ challenged" when he appeared, time after time, on national television, talking about how "The days of the Iraqi Dictator are numbered". Sort of like Obama telling the world (which did not happen) that we knew exactly where Osama Bin Laden was 3 months before the mission . How many of Iraq's billions of dollars were being returned to that country, and vanished without a trace. We had to dig into our own pockets to come up with it and send it over there again. Someone was not the sharpest knife in the drawer. But, it doesn't stop there.

My nephew, a sargeant in the National Guard, was in Iraq for two tours. He was there, operating a back-hoe, when the first of the mass graves was dug up. He was one of the guys that was moving missiles from a bunker to a warehouse. Some were identified as having chemical warheads, others as biological. He says that one week after they were moved to the warehouse, they vanished. No one knew who removed them or where to, but they had moved more than thirty missiles to the warehouse. Once they vanished, Bush no longer had any WMDs to show off. But, my nephew is not the only one that says he's seen them. There's a guy in Michigan's UP that was a civilian contractor in Iraq, driving a truck, and said he saw them being moved to the warehouse, but has no idea where they went from there.

No, I'm not trying to elevate Bush. America saw him as the "lessor of the evils" at the time of the elections. Who else would you have put in there, John Kerry? I never knew, until John Kerry ran for office, that if I had gotten 3 purple hearts, it would have been an automatic ticket home. And, two of his were "SELF-INFLICTED", just to get that ticket. His father was a ranking officer, SO HE KNEW. Looking back at the actions of previous Presidents, I don't see him as deserving as much flack as he's been getting. 9/11 happened early in his administration, and it shook the very foundations of any programs he had in mind. But, I don't see him as deserving any medals either. I've often thought that invading Iraq had far more to do with "Daddy missed Saddam, so I'll make sure I get him". And, 9/11 gave him a spring-board for that.

I think it's very telling that even when people try to ease up on W., it only makes him sound even worse.

Old 09-10-2012, 11:09 PM
F40

826 posts, read 857,212 times
Bush worst president ever.Cons know it and so does everyone with a brain knows it. poppy Bush was only half as bad because we threw his azz out before he could do more damage to the economy. again Bush=worst president ever

Old 09-10-2012, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimar View Post

I think it's very telling that even when people try to ease up on W., it only makes him sound even worse.
No. The only reason it looks like he sounds even worse is because you look up a bit higher at all the previous Presidents. I'm afraid my pedestals for the rest of them are not nearly as high. Clinton was/is a liar and cocaine addict, and a couple of his executive orders reflect a severely impaired thought process, Bush (the elder) lied about "no new taxes" which we are still paying today, Reagan paid our industries to move our full-time jobs with benefits out of the country.... Shall I go on?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections