Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2012, 08:39 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,227,357 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Did you vote for Obama in 2008? He had no executive experience and no foreign policy experience. Right now we have budget woes. Don't you think someone who has had to develop a budget, execute a budget and deal with problems related to a budget is better equipped to handle the country? What about job creation experience? Obama have any experience with that before he became president? What about crisis management? Business owners have to deal with major problems all the time. Obama never even ran a lemonade stand.

Did you know the President changed his tune on handling foreclosures? That's what happens when you elect someone with no previous experience running anything. Every tactic is worth a shot. That's why, for example, you get Cash for Clunkers benefitting foreign automakers (41%).

Or Obama declares a moratorium on drilling in the Gulf, without any Department doing an impact study on how it would affect businesses in the area according to Obama's guy's testimony before Congress. C'mon, that's Business 101.

Or, Obama pushes electric cars out of one side of his mouth while the other side is telling people that under him electricity costs will skyrocket.

Or Obama promises to put the coal companies out of business apparently forgetting their connection to electricity.

Or Obama declares war on the Chamber of Commerce, a group he should be meeting with regularly on what it takes to get businesses to hire.

Or Obama finds out 1) " Shovel-Ready is not as Shovel-Ready as we expected" and 2) if he would have cut every unemployed person a check for $100,000 instead of signing the so-called stimulus, taxpayers would have come out ahead by $427 billion dollars.

Or Obama gives a solar panel company (Solyndra) a $535 million government-backed loan with the help of the Obama White House, and over the objections of federal budget analysts, and then it goes belly up and they all go "DUH!"

Or Obama pushes electric cars people aren't buying (Chevy Volt sales expectation 10,000, sold 7,600 in 2011, with 45,000 the goal in 2012, sold 600 in January and 1,000 in February).

Or Obama pushes though Obamacare and don't make the connection with businesses not hiring and when time and time again, people thru polls have told him "jobs" should be his Number One priority.

Or Obama gives money to Brazil to do the exact same deep sea oil drilling he forbid in his own country.

Or Obama establishes his own committee to tell him how to get a handle on the national debt and then ignores their recommendations.

Or Obama sends his NLRB goons to manage Boeing's expansion operation into South Carolina because the union thugs in Washington state have him in their pocket.

Then while African American unemployment is a sky high 14.4 percent, Obama decides not to enforce laws related to illegal immigration (because heck, the black vote is a given no matter what he does but he better get some more Latino votes).

Or did I mention the suggestion Obama made of people not going to Vegas? Yeah, don't spend money in that state.

Or Obama decides to "stimulate the economy" by actively encouraging more people to go on food stamps. That's not stimulating the economy, that's stimulating Democrat voting.

An experienced and successful business man would do better.

And, I sure hope you don't live in the suburbs because if he's re-elected you are going to see the real Obama agenda.
The country was willing to bet on an unknown in 08 partly because the R brand was so damaged from Bush, and partly because the R party put Sarah Palin on the ticket with McCain. I really like McCain, but Palin is a nut, and voting that ticket down was the smartest thing this country has ever done. Now we have Romney--the last choice of most conservatives, let alone anyone else, paired with Paul Ryan. Ryan is yet another radical ideologue, and now he's turned out to be a liar. What do you expect from the voters? I would only grade Obama as around a C for his domestic policy record (he gets an A in my book for foreign policy) but you're trying to make the case that we should ditch him for Romney and Ryan? Not only that, but the only argument the Romney campaign is making is that anything is better than Obama--they can't even tell us what they would do in office. Based on the only concrete thing we have to deal with coming out of that team--the Ryan plan--that scares the h*ll out of me.

If the republicans were running a real leader with common sense proposals that might actually work, this would be a very different election.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2012, 08:46 AM

68,372 posts, read 54,609,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GJJG2012 View Post
Mitt Romney asks people Do you want smaller govt? Send me $5. But he has indicated he wants lots more wars! How do wars make the govt smaller?
he apparently believes the DoD is NOT part of government, him and his partner in delusion. I'm watching Ryan on Face The Nation talking about cutting wasteful spending in Washington in order to prevent defense cuts. Do these guys really believe there is no waste in defense spending or is it just a flat out refusal to cut corporate welfare to the MIC?

Old 09-09-2012, 09:23 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,992,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Well, our taxes are NOT high, except for the corporate ones, which Obama wanted to reduce by 10%, but that proposal was rejected
Not even corporate taxes are high. The STATUTORY rate is high but the actual rate that corporations pay is at a near low.

Old 09-09-2012, 09:26 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,992,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northbound74 View Post
If you WERE an independent, why on earth would you vote for Obama? He's the more extreme of the two.
As a middle-class person, my taxes haven't gone up. However, my gas, my health insurance premiums, and everything else imaginable certainly have increased in price. Same thing as higher taxes as far as I'm concerned.
He's more like Carter every day.
Health insurance premiums have been rising faster than inflation for the last 40 years. It's actually slower under Obama. Gas prices have risen, fallen and risen and none of it is because of Obama. In all, inflation is less than 2% in all of Obama's term.

Old 09-09-2012, 06:48 PM

23 posts, read 15,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmsterp View Post
The premise of this thread highlights what the GOP has done wrong. As Republicans, we have lost control of the narrative and allowed the Democrats to make this election a referendum on Romney. It is not - it is a referendum on Obama

How about it's turned in to what should be an indictment against both, for failed promises, transparent lies, and pandering to their respective bases.....

I am so disgusted with the BS from politicians. It seems abundantly clear we need to go to the popular vote versus the electoral vote for President, we need to level the playing field by putting a cap on the money spent on campaigns and advertising for candidates, how about equal time for candidates from the GREEN PARTY (Dr Jill Stein, interesting?), the INDEPENDENTS, ad infinitum.... and we need a way to get TRUE PUBLIC SERVANTS in office instead of career politicians.

What would happen if the salaries and medical benefits (paid by our tax dollars) were taken AWAY from politicians and put back into our economy? Easy to talk about medical care and the issues of the underemployed and unemployed when you are sitting cozy in Washington and government offices for your TERM LIMITS...talk about living on the dole?

Let's make politicians make the same "wage" that the unemployment office pays to the folks LOOKING for work. How many of these politicians would remain in their roles if they weren't able to have such grand benefits and salaries for deciding the course of the American people they are supposedly representing. I'm looking around, and I don't see them representing ME or ANY of the people I know.

Get active. Pay attention. If you can stomach it.

Old 09-09-2012, 07:53 PM

1,105 posts, read 1,793,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rikoshaprl View Post
That's because you are a liberal. The RNC introduced Romney to the American people. They had to undo all the negativity from Obama's smear ads and from the Obama adoring press. They marched out speaker after speaker from Romney's past to show the unselfish goodness of this man (Obama has no one to march out). Romney has the experience of rescuing financially troubled businesses and the Olympics. He improved the financially troubled state of MA. He got things done there even with a democrat controlled legislature. (Obama can't do that). BTW they did not say anything about him making lots of money at the convention.
rikoshapri you spent three days on the DNC forum and hundreds of posts trash talking Obama. I just want a non-trash talking thread so that people can make clear arguments on why they are choosing their candidate. I could trash talk you but that is part of the problems. Simply the facts please.

Old 09-09-2012, 07:54 PM

1,316 posts, read 2,470,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXIALE02 View Post
What does he have on his record besides making money. I watched the RNC but still have no clue on his assets to be President.
Yes, I will admit I am an Obama supporter but technically an Independent. I watched the entire RNC every night just to see if these guys have any, any plan at all to help get us out of this debt our country is and it's literally the same old story for the past 30 years. Tax cuts, tax cuts, tax cuts and that's it. Romney swears he is going repeal Obamacare.... okay buddy and what exactly are you gonna do to make sure millions of Americans are covered. Romney says he wants to spend more on military spending and doesn't mention why and what. Romney doesn't explain how his so called medicare is going to work except from a stupid white board that says Obama is stealing from medicare to pay for Obamacare which unbiased fact checkers have proven is utter "lie". The RNC was a bunch of nothing and did not specifically point out what they will do except to criticize what Obama didn't do. So yeah, thus far we know he is repealing Obamacare, changing medicare to a voucher system and giving tax breaks to the wealthiest Americans. NO THANK YOU!

Old 09-09-2012, 07:56 PM

48,502 posts, read 97,069,428 times
Loo around you the last going on four years and decide for yourself.

Old 09-09-2012, 08:15 PM

32,188 posts, read 15,177,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Did you vote for Obama in 2008? He had no executive experience and no foreign policy experience. Right now we have budget woes. Don't you think someone who has had to develop a budget, execute a budget and deal with problems related to a budget is better equipped to handle the country? What about job creation experience? Obama have any experience with that before he became president? What about crisis management? Business owners have to deal with major problems all the time. Obama never even ran a lemonade stand.

Did you know the President changed his tune on handling foreclosures? That's what happens when you elect someone with no previous experience running anything. Every tactic is worth a shot. That's why, for example, you get Cash for Clunkers benefitting foreign automakers (41%).

Or Obama declares a moratorium on drilling in the Gulf, without any Department doing an impact study on how it would affect businesses in the area according to Obama's guy's testimony before Congress. C'mon, that's Business 101.

Or, Obama pushes electric cars out of one side of his mouth while the other side is telling people that under him electricity costs will skyrocket.

Or Obama promises to put the coal companies out of business apparently forgetting their connection to electricity.

Or Obama declares war on the Chamber of Commerce, a group he should be meeting with regularly on what it takes to get businesses to hire.

Or Obama finds out 1) " Shovel-Ready is not as Shovel-Ready as we expected" and 2) if he would have cut every unemployed person a check for $100,000 instead of signing the so-called stimulus, taxpayers would have come out ahead by $427 billion dollars.

Or Obama gives a solar panel company (Solyndra) a $535 million government-backed loan with the help of the Obama White House, and over the objections of federal budget analysts, and then it goes belly up and they all go "DUH!"

Or Obama pushes electric cars people aren't buying (Chevy Volt sales expectation 10,000, sold 7,600 in 2011, with 45,000 the goal in 2012, sold 600 in January and 1,000 in February).

Or Obama pushes though Obamacare and don't make the connection with businesses not hiring and when time and time again, people thru polls have told him "jobs" should be his Number One priority.

Or Obama gives money to Brazil to do the exact same deep sea oil drilling he forbid in his own country.

Or Obama establishes his own committee to tell him how to get a handle on the national debt and then ignores their recommendations.

Or Obama sends his NLRB goons to manage Boeing's expansion operation into South Carolina because the union thugs in Washington state have him in their pocket.

Then while African American unemployment is a sky high 14.4 percent, Obama decides not to enforce laws related to illegal immigration (because heck, the black vote is a given no matter what he does but he better get some more Latino votes).

Or did I mention the suggestion Obama made of people not going to Vegas? Yeah, don't spend money in that state.

Or Obama decides to "stimulate the economy" by actively encouraging more people to go on food stamps. That's not stimulating the economy, that's stimulating Democrat voting.

An experienced and successful business man would do better.

And, I sure hope you don't live in the suburbs because if he's re-elected you are going to see the real Obama agenda.
This caught my eye. The Volt is very expensive now but you can lease them for under $300 a month which is a steal for that car. We live in Md but my husband works in DC. His old car got horrible gas mileage in the city and he was spending a fortune on gas. With the Volt, he just plugs it in at night and it's good to go the next morning. I can't tell you how much money we have saved by not buying gas. And we barely see any increase in our electric bill. It's a wonderful car.

Old 09-09-2012, 08:37 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,632,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo7 View Post
Yes, I will admit I am an Obama supporter but technically an Independent. I watched the entire RNC every night just to see if these guys have any, any plan at all to help get us out of this debt our country is and it's literally the same old story for the past 30 years. Tax cuts, tax cuts, tax cuts and that's it. Romney swears he is going repeal Obamacare.... okay buddy and what exactly are you gonna do to make sure millions of Americans are covered. Romney says he wants to spend more on military spending and doesn't mention why and what. Romney doesn't explain how his so called medicare is going to work except from a stupid white board that says Obama is stealing from medicare to pay for Obamacare which unbiased fact checkers have proven is utter "lie". The RNC was a bunch of nothing and did not specifically point out what they will do except to criticize what Obama didn't do. So yeah, thus far we know he is repealing Obamacare, changing medicare to a voucher system and giving tax breaks to the wealthiest Americans. NO THANK YOU!
Great post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections