Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2012, 03:36 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,249,380 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
Up until now I thought you were being sincere in your support of the Romney's in this thread but the paragraph I highlighted makes me rethink that. With that BS you just posted about Obama I now see you're just another partisan hack who will say anything to help your candidate, whether you believe it or not.

1) Obama admitted using drugs in HIGH SCHOOL, not college. And there is nothing to support the claim he ever sold drugs.

2) Pimping himself out? What the heck are YOU smoking? That is so off the wall you should be ashamed of yourself.

3) It's a well know fact that the Obama's took out student loans to cover their college expenses.

4) His mother-in-law had been in his daughter's lives since birth and it was only nature for them to bring her to the White House as their nanny.

5) It's well documented that Obama didn't know his relatives in Kenya so why should he have any feelings of obligation towards helping them? Do you help relatives you only met once in your life?

HINT: You don't have to run down the Obama's---especially with made up bull---to support the Romney's. You have just lost all credibility in this thread!
Damn. I didn't realize I had any credibility to blow. I thought I was being dismissed as another old biddy from another era who lived in la-la land and didn't have a good grip on today's world.

About respect--I lost respect for Bill Clinton over the Monica Lewinski affair. It wasn't his infidelity to Hillary. It was the way he took advantage of a young, immature and star struck "groupie" who idolized him, then threw her under the bus and lied about it until he was forced to admit the truth. I lost respect for Ted Kennedy over the Mary Jo Kopechne/Chappaquidick incident when it happened (I was an adult when that happened). I lost respect for Joe Biden when I learned (several years ago) he had plagiarized a college paper he submitted as his own. All of these show lack of character. Should equally egregious facts about Mitt and/or Ann Romney come to light, I will lose respect for them, too.

I can forgive Barack Obama his youthful indiscretions and give him the credit he deserves to setting his own goals and sticking to them. But I do believe that he also had doors opened for him and a lot of help along the way, some of which we probably do not know about. He had affirmative action going for him (and rightly so) and early into his career he threw in his lot with the Chicago political machine. There are questionable activities in his political life in Chicago. (e.g. The Rezco relationship and dealings, his campaign for the Illinois Senate). His rise through the political ranks was meteoric and lacking real substance. How did all this happen seemingly with so little effort when others struggle for decades and never get half as far? We don't know if his entire higher education was funded entirely by student loans. We don't know if he had help from other sources. We don't know when he stopped drug use......he has admitted using cocaine as well as pot. ("......and blow.....when I could afford it"). It is not unreasonable to ask that the blanks be filled in. As for the "pimp" comment, we've all seen the picture of him dressed like one and puffing away on a cigarette. Was this all just an act? Who knows?

Obama idolized his absent father and sought to establish contact with that side of his family. Why does he ignore them now?

I'm going to have to drop off this thread for the rest of the day. Many other things to do. Carry on.

Last edited by Cunucu Beach; 09-15-2012 at 03:46 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2012, 06:33 PM

1,020 posts, read 1,382,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalYankee View Post
OK one last time and then I really give up.

Some of us have struggled not only with the same facts of life that the Romneys have had (like having to complete assignments on time - gee golly gosh isn't that hard) and on top of that have had to worry about paying bills, taking care of children etc. Need I remind you that Ann had a babysitter (!) to take care of her kids while she was in class?

Honestly I could not care less if they had bought a house in Winchester or the Back Bay, had their dinners catered from Locke-Ober and had Mitt chauffered to his Harvard classes every day. What I find hypocritical is that Ann has more than once tried to portray their time while they were students as a struggle. Compared to the realities that the VAST MAJORITY of Americans face who step up to the plate and go for advanced degrees, what they had was a cakewalk. No one forced them to have children, that was their choice. And they had a safety net in the form of both of their families. Had there been a stock market crash, there is no doubt in my mind that Mitt's or Anns' family would have made sure that Willard could have finished at least one of his degrees.

Not every problem disappears when you throw money at it, but an awful lot do. I will never forget when I was a professor of engineering and a student came to me asking for a recommendation for a specific aerospace internship. I looked at his grades and his situation and determined that he was in fact eligible for a prestigious scholarship which would pay tuition, living and study expenses. I applied on his behalf and when he got it, I really felt that I had put some good into the world. The kid's father had died when he was very young, he had a younger sibling, and his mother was struggling (really struggling, not playing at it). His going to college instead of working to help support her was putting a financial strain on them. With one acceptance letter, his life went from a struggle to a cakewalk. So please, don't tell me that financial security does not make a huge difference.

Whoever advised Ann to whine publicly about how they had to eat tuna fish off an ironing board should be fired. She doesn't have the credibility.

And while we're at it, I have little respect for Mitt Romney as a businessman. Did his business create anything of value? New technology? An innovative product? Pizzas even? Jobs? No. All he did was apply the slimiest techniques he learned at Harvard to use other people's money to fatten his wallet. He is up there with the likes of Goldman Sachs. Nope, give me a guy like Herman Cain if you want to show me a self-made businessman, but not Mitt Romney.
Wow! You certainly don't SOUND like a "redneck in training!" Very well said.

Old 09-15-2012, 08:24 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,445,969 times
I know about those guys from Harvard and their slimy techniques - there is one in the White House right now!

Old 09-15-2012, 09:13 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,111,908 times
Hmmm.......I think strapping the family dog onto the roof of the car instead of the luggage shows a lack of character.....lack of empathy.....lack of compassion.

Mitt and Ann were well into adulthood and should have known better, should have realized that perhaps, just perhaps, Seamus should ride in the car with his family and the luggage should have been strapped to the roof.

And then to contend to this day that Seamus loved that ride.....even after his diarrhea......even after he ran away the first chance he got. They still don't get it. They are incapable of getting it.

They weren't capable of understanding how Seamus felt on top of that car then.......and they aren't capable of understanding the problems facing the average American now.

Old 09-15-2012, 09:20 PM

2,366 posts, read 1,654,801 times
WOW! 22 pages! I wish this thread would die already.

Old 09-15-2012, 09:27 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,288,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
Hmmm.......I think strapping the family dog onto the roof of the car instead of the luggage shows a lack of character.....lack of empathy.....lack of compassion.

Mitt and Ann were well into adulthood and should have known better, should have realized that perhaps, just perhaps, that Seamus should ride in the car with his family and the luggage should have been strapped to the roof.

And then to contend to this day that Seamus loved that ride.....even after his diarrhea......even after he ran away the first chance he got. They still don't get it. They are incapable of getting it.

They weren't capable of understanding how Seamus felt on top of that car then.......and they aren't capable of understanding the problems facing the average American now.
AND........when asked in an interview if he would do it again, he said "no."

Not "no," because he realizes now that it was a thoughtless and cruel thing to do and he's remorseful, but "no," because of the attention the incident got:

Quote:
Mitt Romney admitted in an interview Monday that, if he had to do it all over again, he would not have put his dog on the roof of his car because of the attention the story's received on the campaign trail.

Asked if he would repeat the incident, he told ABC News: "Certainly not with the attention it's received."
Romney regrets putting dog on the roof of the car - The Hill's Ballot Box

The lack of remorse for how he treated Seamus is reminiscent of his giggling when asked about the boy who, with the help of five of his buddies, he assaulted and humiliated, for being "different."

And people call this a "man of character?"

It also doesn't say much about Ann's "character" that she went along with the mistreatment of Seamus and to this day treats it like some funny Romney family lore.

Last edited by Cinebar; 09-15-2012 at 09:58 PM..

Old 09-15-2012, 09:27 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,111,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
From a global perspective, few people in America have anything to "boo hoo" about.

It probably never occurred to the mom living in Section 8 housing collecting SNAP and welfare that she's in the top 5% globally. A family making $100k here is in the top 1% globally.
What has this got to do with a politician running for office in the United States?

Is "Mom" a politician running for office with constituents living in mud huts? Boo hooing about her Section 8 housing?

Old 09-15-2012, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizonite View Post
WOW! 22 pages! I wish this thread would die already.
Nobody's holding a gun to your head, forcing you to read it.

Old 09-15-2012, 10:48 PM

1,672 posts, read 1,777,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
Ann Romney would have earned my respect more had she come out and admitted she led a charmed, priviliged life instead of pulling up all these goofy little anecdotes of her and her husband's "struggles", and "dark places" she went through. I could care less that she was born rich; it's her nerve of trying to relate her own experiences to people who are actually struggling that is so offensive.

As far as the ironing board story......I find it VERY hard to believe. Neither her husbands nor her millionaire parents had any extra furniture they could give to the newlyweds? Geez, even though most of my furniture was purchased 2nd hand, I still was able to help my kids out by giving them unused pieces when they started out on their own. Most likely the ironing board was used in a pinch the first few days in the apartment before they fully furnished it. They had 2 kids in that "basement apartment". Did they all sit around the ironing board at dinnertime? Give me a break. I'm not buying it.
The most likely truth is they used the ironing board maybe once or twice why they were looking for furniture or waiting for it to be shipped.

Old 09-16-2012, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maabus1999 View Post
The most likely truth is they used the ironing board maybe once or twice why they were looking for furniture or waiting for it to be shipped.
I have my doubts that Ann even knows what an ironing board looks like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections