Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2012, 06:12 PM

6,129 posts, read 6,845,097 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
What stock options? He was a college student. My understanding is Ann had a trust and they lived off of that.
Why do you hate the rich?
Is that one of those "when did you stop beating your wife?" type questions? LOL

The story I read they sold off Mitt's stock options a little at a time.

And if you actually read what I wrote, I was speaking to Mitt not having the savvy or the charm to sell his background in a way that doesn't come across as out of touch or ingenuine like well off politicians before him. I said several times there is nothing wrong with being born well off. No one dictates which family they are born into.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2012, 06:18 PM

1,698 posts, read 1,830,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalYankee View Post
<raises hand>

I grew up well below the poverty line as the child of a single mother. I was diagnosed by a doctor as being malnourished before we got food stamps. We were eligible to have me get free lunches at the school but I refused. I didn't want the other kids to see me using a ticket to pay instead of the 30 cents it cost way back then.

The only way out of that life was an education which believe you me I went out and got.

Do I think everyone has needed welfare, government assistance or food stamps to survive? No. But if you are the family who needs it, listening to Ann whining about having had to "struggle" eating tuna fish an pasta says how out of touch these two spoiled rich kids are. And you can keep your cracks about Iphones or McAirs, my mother used to put quarters into a jar to save up for new eyeglasses for me. Maybe you are just as clueless as the Romneys?
A lot of people on this board go out of their way to demonize the poor, then fly right into "WHY DO YOU HATE THE RICH YOU BUM!!" whenever you say something about the wealthy paying taxes. I don't know what website or propaganda leads to this attitude. Once I was speaking to a very wealthy girl and she said, to my face "I don't want my tax money going to some old black guy swinging on his porch!" She did not seem to notice my TOTAL HORROR at her (especially since her family is from Egypt which is in AFRICA) and didn't even try to backtrack until I pointed out she had just made a rather racist statement ("I'm not a racist! I know many black professionals!"). I lost a lot of respect for her after that. But I think that's the code for this: I don't want my tax money going to ghetto (black) people who are just going to buy fancy shoes and iphones. It's a caricature of the poor that they've bought into, without realizing that most of the poor people in the U.S. are white.

Old 09-09-2012, 06:26 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,296,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post
at least she was honest.
Today, perhaps.

But there's been plenty of interviews, as well as her speech at the RNC, where she tried to paint them as a struggling young couple eating "tuna and pasta" off an ironing board while living in a basement apartment.

Just more pandering. They probably figured out that that whole "we know what it's like to struggle" crap was wearing thin.

Old 09-09-2012, 06:30 PM

2,345 posts, read 1,678,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimar View Post
A lot of people on this board go out of their way to demonize the poor, then fly right into "WHY DO YOU HATE THE RICH YOU BUM!!" whenever you say something about the wealthy paying taxes. I don't know what website or propaganda leads to this attitude. Once I was speaking to a very wealthy girl and she said, to my face "I don't want my tax money going to some old black guy swinging on his porch!" She did not seem to notice my TOTAL HORROR at her (especially since her family is from Egypt which is in AFRICA) and didn't even try to backtrack until I pointed out she had just made a rather racist statement ("I'm not a racist! I know many black professionals!"). I lost a lot of respect for her after that. But I think that's the code for this: I don't want my tax money going to ghetto (black) people who are just going to buy fancy shoes and iphones. It's a caricature of the poor that they've bought into, without realizing that most of the poor people in the U.S. are white.
Ouiet Elation. Best post by far on this ignorantly judgmental Thread.

Old 09-09-2012, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
In a pathetic attempt to relate to the average American citizen, Ann Romney comes across as even more obnoxious. So they struggled with health issues. Try struggling when you have no health insurance and put off going to a doctor hoping the symptoms go away. Try struggling when you have to make a choice to get the surgery/treatment needed with no money and no way to keep an income coming in while recovering since you are living paycheck to paycheck.

Ann Romney keeps talking about her breast cancer, which was actually a non-invasive precancerous condition. And her MS has been in remission for over 10 years.

I'm not unsympathtetic to Mrs. Romney's health issues, but she had the luxury of getting the best healthcare possible and the luxury of recovering without any financial stress. Her whining about her struggles is a slap in the face to anyone who isn't as fortunate as herself. It's the equivalent of someone complaining their favorite brand of caviar isn't available at the store to someone who is living on rice and beans. Her idea of suffering is so out of touch it would be laughable if it wasn't so obnoxious.
This. ^^^^

Old 09-09-2012, 06:34 PM

3,484 posts, read 2,881,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizjo View Post
I think is a ridiculous argument to be having when we have so much that needs fixing in our country, however:
How is borrowing money from your parents any different than staying on their insurance til you're 26?
Also, don't we have a generation of younger adults living with parents into their 30's because they can't find jobs?
Families help each other out, dem or rep, rich or poor.
Stop trying to stratify our citizens into 99% v. 1%, then say your party is with the poor. If it's truly 99% that is pretty much all of us, making both parties champions of the poor.
There is nothing virtuous in being poor. There is nothing evil in being rich. The rich give much to society (museums, scholarships, performing arts venues, foundations and trusts that support PBS/NPR). They have much to give. The middle class provides for its own and gives to charities and volunteers in areas benefiting the poor. The poor struggle to "make it".
This demonization of the rich smacks of envy.
The rich will stop being demonized when they stop behaving like sociopaths and start behaving like responsible members of our society. They outsource jobs to awful dictatorships, hide money in Swiss bank accounts and refuse to pay their fair share for the resources they overuse.

I don't care how much money you give to NPR if you earn it by employing Chinese slave labor.

Old 09-09-2012, 06:36 PM

5,466 posts, read 4,440,125 times
So what, people are so jealous. I will never be as rich and all hopes of even being well off is gone with Obama but at least I don't suck off other people. Living off others and being green with envy and jealousy seems to be more in style these days.

Old 09-09-2012, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalYankee View Post
Joseph Kenndy had four sons.

Joe: Killed during WWII while serving in the military
Jack: Commanded a PT boat during WW II
Bobby: enlisted in Naval Reserve
Teddy: enlisted in the Army after WWII was over

Mitt Romney has five sons.

Tagg: works at a capital firm (no miltary service)
Matt: works at a capital firm (no miltary service)
Josh: real estate developer (no miltary service)
Ben: a doctor (hey, one of them actually amounted to something! still no military service)
Craig: works in real estate (no miltary service)

Now FDR, wasn't he the guy who introduced Social Security? And Romney is the guy who wants to trash it for people like me. I'm 54, paid into it just like everybody else, but because I am not a full-fledge boomer I won't see the benefits.

Please, there is no comparison between the self-serving leeches that the Romneys are and the Kennedys and Roosevelts who actually understood the meaning of public service.
But....but.....don't you know that the Romney sons ARE serving their country?

By working to try to get their father elected president?

Mitt said so!

Old 09-09-2012, 06:42 PM

3,484 posts, read 2,881,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
What stock options? He was a college student. My understanding is Ann had a trust and they lived off of that.
Why do you hate the rich?
Your understanding is wong. Mitt inherited the equivalent of 400k. There's nothing wrong with that. What's wrong is not understanding that everyone is so fortunate. Rich people who want the right to live here while hiding money in Switzerland deserve to be hated.

Old 09-09-2012, 06:51 PM

5,466 posts, read 4,440,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM05 View Post
Ouiet Elation. Best post by far on this ignorantly judgmental Thread.
We hear so much about giving to the poor but they remain poor. And now in doing so our country is now poor. HOW MUCH would it take for people to not be poor anyway?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections