Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2012, 09:45 PM

2,548 posts, read 2,164,379 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
No it's called getting ahead on your own and being proud you built it!!! I agree with Romney on this also, if a person wants to get ahead in life welfare is not going to bring you finer things in life. Just the facts that some hate to face.........hard work brings home the bacon, not freeloading off of others.

When one needs welfare for a few months thats much different than a lifestyle of "freebies".......
You agree that half of your fellow Americans are freeloaders? Such a Christian attitude, and patriotic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2012, 09:45 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,787,000 times
Default Romney gets real: Points out that Obama voters are "dependent on government"

It's about time a candidate pointed out the truth without worrying about those who are offended by the truth.

----------------------------------------------

Romney Talks Bluntly of Those Dependent on Government - NYTimes.com

Romney Talks Bluntly of Those Dependent on Government

By MICHAEL D. SHEAR
September 17, 2012, 6:51 pm

10:48 p.m. | Updated WASHINGTON — During a private reception with donors earlier this year, Mitt Romney described almost half of Americans as “people who pay no income tax” and are “dependent upon government.” Those voters, he said, are likely to support President Obama because they believe they are “entitled to health care, to food, to housing, to you name it.”

Mr. Romney, the Republican presidential candidate, acknowledged on Monday having made the blunt political and cultural assessment, saying it was “not elegantly stated” but standing by the substance of the remarks by insisting that he had made similar observations in public without generating controversy.

Old 09-17-2012, 09:46 PM

4,426 posts, read 5,920,399 times
what's he talking about? with his offshore accounts and outsourcing of jobs? he hides his money so he doesn't pay taxes.. then runs a business that is in the business of outsourcing work then has the nerve to accuse middle america of not paying taxes and being freeloaders because they don't have jobs? wow... the nerve of some people..

as a liberal I certainly do agree that government assistance needs to be tightly regulated and checked for fraud and abuse.. but many people are out of work for no fault of their own..
The problem I see here in idaho that is a VERY red state is that everyone likes to b*tch and moan about OTHER people on government assistance in any form.. but are very quick to use it for themselves and their families..like somehow their situation is more deserving and justified... I got a chuckle the other day out of some construction guys shooting the breeze about politics in the store.. complaining about no work because there's no more houses being built.. talking about how it's obama's fault and one was complaining about his ex girlfriend and owing child support... and as I watched.. 3 out of the 4 paid for their sodas donuts and candy bars with food stamp cards.. why isn't going to college an option in these guy's minds? do they plan to just "wait it out" till then use food stamps and welfare? these are romney supporters NOT obama
the whole premis for voting republican astounds me in this state.. if it wasn't for strong democrat principles at the national level, these men wouldn't have a pot to p*ss in... but they are hardcore republican through and through..
so I'm confused.. just who is romney talking about? because I don't see it around here..

Old 09-17-2012, 09:46 PM

1,084 posts, read 1,846,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maabus1999 View Post
He is a never ending self infliciting campaign gaffe. He might coin a new term: Political Cutter. It is like he can't stop!
Like I said, Obama doesn't have to do anything to make Mitt look bad these days, Mitt does every time he opens his mouth.

Old 09-17-2012, 09:48 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,710,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
It's about time a candidate pointed out the truth without worrying about those who are offended by the truth.

----------------------------------------------

Romney Talks Bluntly of Those Dependent on Government - NYTimes.com

Romney Talks Bluntly of Those Dependent on Government

By MICHAEL D. SHEAR
September 17, 2012, 6:51 pm

10:48 p.m. | Updated WASHINGTON — During a private reception with donors earlier this year, Mitt Romney described almost half of Americans as “people who pay no income tax” and are “dependent upon government.” Those voters, he said, are likely to support President Obama because they believe they are “entitled to health care, to food, to housing, to you name it.”

Mr. Romney, the Republican presidential candidate, acknowledged on Monday having made the blunt political and cultural assessment, saying it was “not elegantly stated” but standing by the substance of the remarks by insisting that he had made similar observations in public without generating controversy.
Let's see how well this "honesty" works out for him, shall we?

2,548 posts, read 2,164,379 times
I disagree with Romney, I think the vast majority of Americans are decent people who contribute to this country. I think the vast majority of Americans would rather have a good job than welfare.

1,672 posts, read 1,772,071 times
This thread just shows how bad a gaffe this was. The Pro-Romney people are having trouble getting their footing around this comment and the Pro-Obama people are all fired up to take down Romney. Just imagine this effect nationwide and you see what just transpired.

46,001 posts, read 35,193,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Have you met those people?
You'd write 'em off, too.
You mean the working class Americans? Makes sense for Mitt to write them off, they aren't rich enough for him.

Quote:
The Agenda - A Closer Look at the 47 Percent
By MICHAEL COOPER
“Forty-seven percent of Americans pay no income tax,” Mitt Romney said at a fund-raiser earlier this year, according to a video posted by Mother Jones.
The figure comes from the Tax Policy Center, which found that 46.4 percent of households paid no federal income tax in 2011.
But most households did pay payroll taxes. Of the 18.1 percent of households that paid neither income taxes or payroll taxes, the center found that more than half were elderly and more than a third were not elderly but had income under $20,000. Roberton Williams, a senior fellow at the center, wrote in a blog post last summer that about half of those were off the rolls because they had low incomes.
“For example, a couple with two children earning less than $26,400 will pay no federal income tax this year because their $11,600 standard deduction and four exemptions of $3,700 each reduce their taxable income to zero,” he wrote. “The basic structure of the income tax simply exempts subsistence levels of income from tax.”
A major reason that many poor people no longer pay federal income taxes is the Earned Income Tax Credit, which has long been supported by Republicans. The credit was added to the tax code when Gerald Ford was president, and was expanded by President Reagan in 1986 and by George H.W. Bush.

When President Reagan urged the passage of the 1986 tax overhaul, he said that ”millions of working poor will be completely dropped from the tax roles,” which he said would make the tax overhaul package ”one of the best anti-poverty programs this country has ever seen.”
So basically we are seeing Republican eat their own just to win elections. Those 47% were once people the Republicans cared about.....those were the days.

Old 09-17-2012, 09:49 PM

4,734 posts, read 4,332,501 times
And that, my friends, just might be the final nail in Mitt Romney's coffin. I was actually seriously thinking of not voting - just kickin' at home and not really giving a rats-azz who won. But this arrogant sonofab*tch gave me a reason to actually get off my duff and vote against him.

It's one thing to not appreciate the people who are voting against you, but the idea that anyone who doesn't is somehow a welfare queen just reinforces the image of Mitt Romney, the arrogant, spoiled, trust-fund prick who doesn't even pay American taxes on all of the millions he inherited for f*cks sake. Mitt Romney on that basis alone is not even a bona fide American. He's just a bum. A rich bum, but a bum nevertheless.

Sorry we didn't all have the, uh, "talent" to inherit millions like you, Mitt, you silver-spooned c*nt.

Old 09-17-2012, 09:51 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,552,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
How sad for you, if that is how you feel, because it will come back and hurt only you in the long run. History is full of sad stories about persons that held themselves in high esteem over others. The central theme is: "the higher the climb, the longer the fall."

Try to remember as you climb up the backs of those that support you that theirs will be the only hands that reach out to help on your way down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections