Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2012, 09:15 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,960,751 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
you seem to be nit picking. it is a logo done by an artist. do you have trouble with all art and t-shirts that don't show the flag in a traditional way?
Art News | Anton Kandinsky : Gems and Gemism | Art Knowledge News
how about one shaped like a heart?
Google Image Result for http://www.linentablecloth.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/american-flag-heart-clip-art.png
or one w/lady liberty
Google Image Result for http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_2jf7k4mjIH8/TB96ntlZbhI/AAAAAAAACAs/ypCfX8-Ol7M/s1600/american-flag-liberty.jpg

I think I have explained my position already several times. Look back, you will see I don't approve of it regardless of who does it. /shrug
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2012, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
No, the military exists for the protection of the United States and its people. If you really think the purpose of the military is to protect a symbol you are even more confused than I thought.

What do you think the flag stands for? Seriously... /smacks head

I am not talking about protecting a piece of cloth, but its symbolism.

380 posts, read 377,007 times
So is the sun setting or rising inside the O?

990 posts, read 940,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Not unless the Secret Service has gotten into the business of producing pins with little gold elephants embossed on flag pins.

It was a GOP pin. Both Ryan and Romney wore them. An American flag (stars and stripes intact) with a little gold elephant embossed over the stripes in the lower right-hand corner.

Pins and posters and prints have frequently been inspired by the American flag, but have a specific message that goes beyond the flag.

The GOP pins conveyed their own message. These prints by the Obama campaign have their own message.

And neither is an effort to "redesign the American flag".
Here's one of that American Hero (he's a veteran, right?) Paul Ryan...who seems to think that America only has 29 or 30 states according to these people's "logic":

Old 09-20-2012, 09:17 AM

29,407 posts, read 22,026,302 times
Wow look at the obamabots swarm like mad to this thread defending dear leader.

Old 09-20-2012, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Come back a week from today and tell me how logical you are being.

Two political campaigns adapt the American flag to develop a promotional logo (a tradition that goes back to the earliest Presidential campaigns).

One puts its symbol across the stripes (an easier background to work with), and one puts its symbol in the corner, replacing the stars.

Replacing the stars, you argue, can by symbolized as disrespect for the states. Now, think. Is that a partisan argument? WHO is arguing that it's disrespect for the states? People who are over-the-top partisans against Obama. Sane people aren't arguing that.

Please, put on your logic hat for a moment. Because I'm no more an Obama fan than you are a Romney fan. And I'm not acting partisan when I point out that BOTH parties have corrupted the American flag and switched out basic elements, losing some of the symbolism, playing up other symbols. They've done it this year, they've done it during the last election, the one before that, and before that, and before that.

The criticism of Obama for designing a print that references the American flag is strictly partisan criticism. You can dress up the criticism with "logic" all you want, but the criticism itself is partisanship, because both parties design logos, literature, prints, buttons, t-shirts, coffee mugs, that reference the American flag to varying degrees. If you criticize one, and don't criticize the other, you are engaging in partisanship.
Ok, be partisan, seriously...

You talk a big game DC, but you promote partisan antics to the extent. My logic is sound, you didn't attend to the key points (the omission of symbols) and went off on some stupid rant.

Deal with the content of my argument rather than applying back ally kiddy alinksy tactics.

I said the basic core symbolism exists. Stars, stripes, colors. You didn't attend to that point.

You used to be able to discuss with some reasonable ability, but you sound more and more like a political hack.

Forget it, I am not wasting my time arguing your petty little political tripe.

Old 09-20-2012, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkBeforeYouVote View Post
Here's one of that American Hero (he's a veteran, right?) Paul Ryan...who seems to think that America only has 29 or 30 states according to these people's "logic":

My premise was basic symbolism, not accuracy. I even attended to that in my responses.

I said the omission of the components that symbolize the flag are the issue. You refuse to deal with that and go off on a point I never made.

If you are going to question the logic of someone, do them the courtesy of understanding their premise before you blather off and look foolish.

Old 09-20-2012, 09:24 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,206,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
I have a problem with that one then. Replacing the stars in terms of symbolism is a big no no. It tends to suggest that the states are irrelevant. I know it is picking, but the purpose of a flag is symbolism. The military exists for the protection of the base symbolism of the flag, so removing components is poor in symbolism in my opinion.
Feel free to express your displeasure to the group that sold it to us: the United States Marine Corps.

Old 09-20-2012, 09:25 AM

11,761 posts, read 14,667,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
What do you think the flag stands for? Seriously... /smacks head

I am not talking about protecting a piece of cloth, but its symbolism.
Actually, you are. You said that the military exists to protect the symbolism, which is different from protecting the country.

Old 09-20-2012, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Wow look at the obamabots swarm like mad to this thread defending dear leader.

I think it angers them even more when I say I don't approve of it regardless of who does it. They started throwing around all these other examples of the republicans as if I was somehow going to run and hide in a hole. The problem is, they were too busy running off their assumptions of what I stated my argument as rather than actually reading what I was saying.

I swear, I have virtually no respect for any of the parties anymore with all the stupid little ants running around to defend their idols while they throw away the very core concepts to which liberty and freedom was created in this country.

They deserve the hell they create for themselves. May they lick the boots as the slaves they will become on the political idols they worship.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections