Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-20-2012, 09:26 AM
 
Location: New Jersey
12,755 posts, read 9,657,099 times
Reputation: 13169

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Wow look at the obamabots swarm like mad to this thread defending dear leader.
Yeah, and we all would have stayed in our nice warm cubbies if no less than THREE threads were started about the 'flag' that is not a flag and is (if it even existed), a symbol of the marxist, communist, liberal, stalinist, maoist country obama the dictator wants to see arise from the ashes of the flag we have had for centuries. (did I leave anything out?) OH, NO, I DID! THE BIG ONE! SOCIALIST!!!!

It is so funny to see all these threads started...you can tell who gets up early to plug into fox news and who gets up later...all spewing the exact same drivel...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-20-2012, 09:28 AM
 
13,053 posts, read 12,960,751 times
Reputation: 2618
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
Actually, you are. You said that the military exists to protect the symbolism, which is different from protecting the country.
If you interpreted it that way, then that is my mistake for being unclear. I meant to say that they exist to protect that to which the symbolism represents. The symbolism is the representation to which our liberty and freedom exists.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-20-2012, 09:29 AM
 
42,732 posts, read 29,905,737 times
Reputation: 14345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
Ok, be partisan, seriously...

You talk a big game DC, but you promote partisan antics to the extent. My logic is sound, you didn't attend to the key points (the omission of symbols) and went off on some stupid rant.

Deal with the content of my argument rather than applying back ally kiddy alinksy tactics.

I said the basic core symbolism exists. Stars, stripes, colors. You didn't attend to that point.


You used to be able to discuss with some reasonable ability, but you sound more and more like a political hack.

Forget it, I am not wasting my time arguing your petty little political tripe.
Can't muster a good rebuttal, huh?

I'm not being partisan, I'm pointing out that an attack on a campaign for referencing the American flag in a piece of artwork is partisan.

You're one of those attacking the reference. Which makes your behavior partisan.

And your reference to Alinsky is also partisan.

The content of your argument is that petty partisanship is okay.

Once again, logic.

Two political campaigns both reference a political symbol in multiple formats. On posters, on t-shirts, on coffee mugs. In all sorts of manners. They merge eagles with the American flag. They leave out stars. They replace stars with other symbols. They impose images on the stripes background. They manipulate the heck out of that flag. ANY argument which says one political party is worse than the other is illogical. So your argument that the Obama campaign is worse than Romney's is illogical. Your argument that one campaign featuring three stars is more for states' rights than the campaign that imposed their logo where the stars would be is illogical. They are more for states' rights because they support three states instead of none? Huh???? No, you aren't employing logic. I'm sorry you don't like being called out for bias, but that's what you are demonstrating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-20-2012, 09:30 AM
 
Location: Vermont
11,762 posts, read 14,667,164 times
Reputation: 18534
I'm glad you've come around on this. You may not think it's a significant difference, but it clearly is. After all, we see in other parts of the world people killing and being killed based on the supposed destruction or desecration of symbols.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-20-2012, 09:32 AM
 
13,053 posts, read 12,960,751 times
Reputation: 2618
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Feel free to express your displeasure to the group that sold it to us: the United States Marine Corps.
What is your point?

Am I supposed to feel guilty? Am I supposed to "oh noes, but I supports the troops and can have no opinion because I am a good little sheep!" I shouldn't object to anything because they protect us, and well.... since they protect our freedoms, why... I shouldn't exercise my opinions! bahahah

The fact is, I disagree with it. Nothing wrong with it, but it is what it is. I also am not demanding anything by it. So I am confused why you would think making such a comment would mean a anything?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-20-2012, 09:33 AM
 
13,053 posts, read 12,960,751 times
Reputation: 2618
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Can't muster a good rebuttal, huh?

I'm not being partisan, I'm pointing out that an attack on a campaign for referencing the American flag in a piece of artwork is partisan.

You're one of those attacking the reference. Which makes your behavior partisan.

And your reference to Alinsky is also partisan.

The content of your argument is that petty partisanship is okay.

Once again, logic.

Two political campaigns both reference a political symbol in multiple formats. On posters, on t-shirts, on coffee mugs. In all sorts of manners. They merge eagles with the American flag. They leave out stars. They replace stars with other symbols. They impose images on the stripes background. They manipulate the heck out of that flag. ANY argument which says one political party is worse than the other is illogical. So your argument that the Obama campaign is worse than Romney's is illogical. Your argument that one campaign featuring three stars is more for states' rights than the campaign that imposed their logo where the stars would be is illogical. They are more for states' rights because they support three states instead of none? Huh???? No, you aren't employing logic. I'm sorry you don't like being called out for bias, but that's what you are demonstrating.

/sigh

Sure thing Saul.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-20-2012, 09:36 AM
 
14,292 posts, read 9,687,852 times
Reputation: 4254
Quote:
Originally Posted by tluv00 View Post

It's a painting and a print. WHO CARES!!?? There are far better reasons to not vote for him or Romney but to think that this is news of any kind is ridiculous. No wonder we are where we are. Both candidates are horrible. Where is the outrage in that?
No, it's not a big deal, but it's just another indicator of who this guy is.

Maybe you miss the point, this is the guy who already has issues with these narcissistic tendencies of Greek columns, his own personal logo, flags, seals etc. It was Obama who made his own presidential seal as the "president-elect of the United States of America."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-20-2012, 09:39 AM
 
42,732 posts, read 29,905,737 times
Reputation: 14345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
/sigh

Sure thing Saul.
I hope in a week or so, you'll revisit this thread and see just how partisan your arguments are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-20-2012, 09:39 AM
 
13,053 posts, read 12,960,751 times
Reputation: 2618
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
I'm glad you've come around on this. You may not think it's a significant difference, but it clearly is. After all, we see in other parts of the world people killing and being killed based on the supposed destruction or desecration of symbols.

It is significant I agree.

Imagine what would happen to me if I walked on to a military base, threw the flag down and urinated on it in front of soldiers? I would probably end up beat within an inch of my life.

There are examples throughout history where symbolism was protected, revered and respected, not because of the physical aspect of the item, but what it represented.

I think it is extremely important, but we have fallen away from it so much. Though, how can we expect people to respect a symbol of liberty and freedom when they no longer respect the very thing it represents?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-20-2012, 09:41 AM
 
42,732 posts, read 29,905,737 times
Reputation: 14345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
It is significant I agree.

Imagine what would happen to me if I walked on to a military base, threw the flag down and urinated on it in front of soldiers? I would probably end up beat within an inch of my life.

There are examples throughout history where symbolism was protected, revered and respected, not because of the physical aspect of the item, but what it represented.

I think it is extremely important, but we have fallen away from it so much. Though, how can we expect people to respect a symbol of liberty and freedom when they no longer respect the very thing it represents?
So your argument is that the flag shouldn't be referenced in any advertising or marketing imagery? Because such references do not protect, revere or respect the symbolism?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top