U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 07:53 AM

35,936 posts, read 35,909,625 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
None of them can tell the truth to save his life, except Ron Paul. Several
are certifiable crackpots. If Alan Keyes is in this one it'll almost be a perfect storm of lunacy.

BTW, if you really think the whole culture is decaying and you think electing some guy to the presidency is going to fix it, there aren't enough air holes in your bubble.
Keyes was not invited or so I have read.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2007, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
I'm sorry. What's biased? MSNBC? Because Wall Street Journal's editorial board is vehemently conservative.
But Chris Hardballs is the moderator, I think.

Old 10-08-2007, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayannaaaliyah View Post
thank God none of them are as dumb as the current President. I'm sure people will hear a lot of lies as usual!
When you argue, please resort to facts.

President Bush and John Kerry were both C students at Yale. Bush got 1 D in 4 years --- in astronomy. Kerry got 5 D's including D's in 2 history classes, geology and political science. Don't know what the other D was in. Kerry graduated 2 years before Bush.

Kerry refused to release his grades but they were part of his Naval record package which the press got its hands on after the election.

Under Yale's grading system in effect at the time, grades between 90 and 100equaled an A, 80-89 a B, 70-79 a C, 60 to 69 a D, and anything below that was a failing grade

Source: The Boston Globe
Yale grades portray Kerry as a lackluster student - The Boston Globe

Al Gore was also a C student. Mr Inconvenient Truth got a D in Natural Science and a C- in another Natural Science class.

As far as I know, Hillary Clinton still refuses to release her college transcript. Apparently, it was an issue when she ran for the Senate. I wouldn't necessarily read into it that she got bad grades. She may have other things she doesn't want people to know about (maybe what classes she took, or that she might have had a lot of incompletes, etc.).

Will try to dig up that info on all of the presidential candidates if it's out there.

Old 10-08-2007, 05:14 PM

2,087 posts, read 1,217,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
But Chris Hardballs is the moderator, I think.
Chris Hardballs is about as biased as it gets. He should not be a moderator and if he is the Repubicans should walk off the debate.

....but then again it might be good for Americans to see the bias of the left wing.

Old 10-08-2007, 05:20 PM

20,136 posts, read 22,156,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citigirl View Post
It should be very interesting. Not the debate but the left wing liberal questions that will be asked and the manner in which they will be asked. Could they have found a more biased venue?

Of course the good thing will be that the Republicans will not look like the cowardly Democrats that were afraid to attend a Fox News debate.
You want cowardly? What about the major GOP candidates skipping the Morgan State debate?

Absolutely reprehensible. Not to mention suicidal, politically.

That was without a doubt one of the most disgraceful exhibitions I have seen in recent years of ignorance and lack of judgement.

Don't the Republicans WANT black and hispanic votes? What -- like they've got too many votes already or something? They don't want to be President of all the people?

That was despicable.

Old 10-08-2007, 05:26 PM

5,396 posts, read 7,297,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
You want cowardly? What about the major GOP candidates skipping the Morgan State debate?

That was without a doubt one of the most disgraceful exhibitions I have seen in recent years of ignorance and lack of judgement.

Don't the Republicans WANT black and hispanic votes? What -- like they've got too many votes already or something? They don't want to be President of all the people?

That was despicable.
Yeledaf I agree with you completely on this one. Are the candidates so afraid of offending the white southern republicans that they will not even show up to discuss minority issues? I find that incredible in this day and age. You would think they would be bending over backwards to bring some minorities of significant numbers into their camp. They will need minority votes if they have any chance at all in the general election.

As Tim Russert was saying, this might be fine and dandy for the Republican nomination but it could definitely come back to bite them in the general election. Blacks and Hispanics will remember this.

Old 10-08-2007, 05:46 PM

20,136 posts, read 22,156,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bily4 View Post
Yeledaf I agree with you completely on this one. Are the candidates so afraid of offending the white southern republicans that they will not even show up to discuss minority issues? I find that incredible in this day and age. You would think they would be bending over backwards to bring some minorities of significant numbers into their camp. They will need minority votes if they have any chance at all in the general election.

As Tim Russert was saying, this might be fine and dandy for the Republican nomination but it could definitely come back to bite them in the general election. Blacks and Hispanics will remember this.
It's more than that. That forum provided a golden opportunity for the GOP candidates to stand up and talk to a skeptical audience about their hopes and aspirations for ALL Americans.

If the message that candidates send has to be tailored to fit each group according to separate versions of what is true and what is right, then we have reached a real low point in our national conversation.

Leadership consists of more than telling people what they want to hear. It also involves making one's case about differences of opinion and strategy, with the common good clearly in mind, and inspiring people with the quality of one's ideas and the courage of one's convictions.

Old 10-08-2007, 06:32 PM

2,087 posts, read 1,217,751 times
Quote:

That was despicable.
Any candidates I would consider did show up. The front runners also did not show up to the Values Voter debate either.

Old 10-08-2007, 07:07 PM

5,396 posts, read 7,297,480 times
Quote:
It's more than that. That forum provided a golden opportunity for the GOP candidates to stand up and talk to a skeptical audience about their hopes and aspirations for ALL Americans.

If the message that candidates send has to be tailored to fit each group according to separate versions of what is true and what is right, then we have reached a real low point in our national conversation.

Leadership consists of more than telling people what they want to hear. It also involves making one's case about differences of opinion and strategy, with the common good clearly in mind, and inspiring people with the quality of one's ideas and the courage of one's convictions.
Right, but we are not talking about leaders. We are talking about politicians. If they try to speak what they really think they won't ever get elected. Hence all the flip flopping, depending on their audience.

Once the person gets elected to be President, then he can shed his politician skin and show himself for what he is. (Or she is as the case may be.) Sometimes a more pleasant surprise than other times.

I think Obama was trying to speak his heart and inspire the people as you describe and he keeps getting mocked for it. People prefer to just hear the same reassuring sound bites over and over again.

Old 10-08-2007, 07:22 PM

1,352 posts, read 4,333,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
When you argue, please resort to facts.

President Bush and John Kerry were both C students at Yale. Bush got 1 D in 4 years --- in astronomy. Kerry got 5 D's including D's in 2 history classes, geology and political science. Don't know what the other D was in. Kerry graduated 2 years before Bush.

Kerry refused to release his grades but they were part of his Naval record package which the press got its hands on after the election.

Under Yale's grading system in effect at the time, grades between 90 and 100equaled an A, 80-89 a B, 70-79 a C, 60 to 69 a D, and anything below that was a failing grade

Source: The Boston Globe
Yale grades portray Kerry as a lackluster student - The Boston Globe

Al Gore was also a C student. Mr Inconvenient Truth got a D in Natural Science and a C- in another Natural Science class.

As far as I know, Hillary Clinton still refuses to release her college transcript. Apparently, it was an issue when she ran for the Senate. I wouldn't necessarily read into it that she got bad grades. She may have other things she doesn't want people to know about (maybe what classes she took, or that she might have had a lot of incompletes, etc.).

Will try to dig up that info on all of the presidential candidates if it's out there.
I didn't mention Kerry or Clinton I'm not interested in the Bush transcripts - but since you mentioned it, the last I heard a "C" isn't anything to brag about (come to think about it, I'd be interested in his Kinkaid high school records, lol).

Finally, dumb can also equate to "lack of common sense". I should have edited my use of wording for Bush and said "stupid" (see definition below) Sorry!
Stupidity is the quality or condition of lacking intelligence, as opposed to being merely ignorant or uneducated. This quality can be attributed to both an individual or a person's actions, words or beliefs, or those of a group.

As an English word, it implies that the attributed party is not mentally retarded but rather is willfully ignorant and/or unintelligent, and displays poor use of judgement or insensitivity to nuances.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections