Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2012, 02:44 PM

4,088 posts, read 4,388,038 times

Advertisements

After the Nov 2010 Mid-term GOP landslide, President Obama looked like a long shot for reelection in 2012. But, with five weeks to go, Obama has a lead in all the polls, and has an excellent chance to win. Let's say Obama wins- how will historians say he turned things around?

I put together a chronological list of what I think we're the turning points, inflection points, game-changers, etc:

1) Jan 2011- Giffords shooting- Gave Obama chance to be "healer in chief", exposed Sarah Palin as a egotistical drama queen.

2) May 2011- Osama bin Laden killed.

3) July-Aug 2011 - Debt Ceiling fight- GOP Congress exposed as radicals who would destroy world and US economies rather than give Obama a "win".

4) Summer 2011- Obama finally wakes up, realizes he can't make deals with GOP, starts to act like a Democrat, decides to run AGAINST the radical GOP House and filibuster-infested Senate

5) Dec 2011- Last US combat troops leave Iraq.

6) Winter 2011- One by one, top-tier Republicans decline to run for president.

7) Spring 2012- GOP presidential debates-"C" list candidates take turns making fools out of themselves.

8) June 2012- Obama exempts "Dreamers" from deportation.

9) June 2012- SCOTUS overturns most of SB1070.

10) June 2012- SCOTUS upholds Obamacare (Yay, my kid's insured! )

11) Summer 2012- GOP House and state houses alienate woman voters by boorishly attacking their health care rights

12) Summer 2012- Romney becomes presumptive GOP candidate, embarks on an inept campaign (a book in itself! )

13) Aug 2012- Party conventions, no bounce for Romney, bounce for Obama. Great speech by Bill Clinton.

14) Sept 2012- Romney "47%" tape

15) Throughout- Economy slowly coming back, voters continue to blame Bush for bad economy.

That's all I can think of, for now, pending the debates!

Did I leave anything out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2012, 02:46 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,486,570 times
Romney's 47% comment.

Old 09-28-2012, 02:47 PM

5,466 posts, read 4,422,860 times
giving people the Obama phone

Old 09-28-2012, 02:51 PM

1,644 posts, read 2,172,933 times
If you are interested in a Republican's response I think the turning point in the election was us having a nominee...regardless of who it was. Democrats didn't mobilize a concerted effort to run their smear campaign until them. Once the campaign got going..."it" turned around. Despite economic opinion polls leading up to romney becoming the presumptive nominee being remarkably bad they are getting better now with seemingly no reason except the fact that Obama is up for re-election.

So that to me was the turning point. Once Romney got the nod the DNC started campaigning heavily against him which re-energized his base. Prior to the campaign really picking up almost all economic opinion indicators were bad and now the economy all of a sudden got awesome. It's obviously not true and will go back down after the zealots settle back into their parents basements, but if you are looking for the turning point...there it is.

Old 09-28-2012, 02:51 PM

12,270 posts, read 11,329,966 times
So, a couple of suspiciously weighted polls makes you think he's turned it around, eh? It's a bit early for a victory lap.

Old 09-28-2012, 02:53 PM

46,281 posts, read 27,099,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurbie View Post

10) June 2012- SCOTUS upholds Obamacare (Yay, my kid's insured! )
So, you are happy that you kids are still living with you? WOW...o.k.....

Old 09-28-2012, 02:55 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,948,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnewberry22 View Post
If you are interested in a Republican's response I think the turning point in the election was us having a nominee...regardless of who it was. Democrats didn't mobilize a concerted effort to run their smear campaign until them. Once the campaign got going..."it" turned around. Despite economic opinion polls leading up to romney becoming the presumptive nominee being remarkably bad they are getting better now with seemingly no reason except the fact that Obama is up for re-election.

So that to me was the turning point. Once Romney got the nod the DNC started campaigning heavily against him which re-energized his base. Prior to the campaign really picking up almost all economic opinion indicators were bad and now the economy all of a sudden got awesome. It's obviously not true and will go back down after the zealots settle back into their parents basements, but if you are looking for the turning point...there it is.
Notice the lack of responsibility in that post? It never is about a rejection of GOP ideas and proposals. Their narrative is now about how the democrats smeared their defenseless candidate -- even though Romney had a billion in campaign funds behind his message.

It is simple, voters don't want to go back to the serve the rich policies of the GOP, especially when they have no viable solutions.

1,644 posts, read 2,172,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Yeah...why don't you get a real job. Then your kid will have insurance without a massive middle income tax increase.

10,655 posts, read 18,663,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
My brother goes to school full time and works 2 part time jobs (of course they do not offer insurance)
He lives in an apartment

He now is able to have healthcare under my Father's insurance plan.

He does not live with my father.

Old 09-28-2012, 03:00 PM

2,608 posts, read 2,097,333 times
Ahh I love it

Pay no attention to the disaster thats coming in October...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections