Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2012, 03:39 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times

Advertisements

From what I read, he was a little too relaxed and a little too distant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2012, 03:41 PM

39,079 posts, read 51,252,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post
McCain came across as a bitter, angry man in those debates. Romney came across as presidential.
Romney came across as rude and aggressive. A day later, he is coming across as a liar.

Old 10-04-2012, 03:42 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,766,994 times
Default Altitude Effects on Debate

I know that folks are laughing about this, but I don't think it is that crazy:

Gore blames Denver altitude for Obama's debate performance | Fox News

I am posting part of my response on another thread. I have some experience with this as a lot of my work is up in the mountains, and although I have done field work at sea level to 12,000', it is the transitions that really affect people.
And some of Obama's behavior might be linked to something like this. I am no expert, bit I have seem people really struggle with altitude. It varies person to person, but it can really do exactly what seemed to happen to Obama. They get listless, a bit dopey, depressed, and can have a terrible headache too. So, this might seem lame to say, but it is real possibility. Everyone says the guy was just not firing on all cylinders.

I know I live at 2000' and I took my son up to a snowcamp at 5,000' last winter. He started getting really delirious, cranky, then started to complain of a headache, then burst into tears. Just fell apart. I took him to the warming hut and a medic told me it happens every day to kids. I also had a girlfriend who I took up to 10,000, and she had it so bad she had to into the tent go lie down midafternoon until the next day. I have found myself getting goofy quite often after a rapid move to higher altitudes.

Now personally, I don't think the altitude change was that large, but people probably vary substantially in their vulnerability to such changes.

Romney apparently trained in Denver, so he was probably well acclimated.

I would welcome scientific posts or just your opinion on this.

Curiously....

FH

Old 10-04-2012, 03:42 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,507,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
From what I read, he was a little too relaxed and a little too distant.
From what I saw, he looked tired, disinterested and ashamed. Like when a puppy gets yelled at for messing on the floor, instead of the paper.

Old 10-04-2012, 03:43 PM

387 posts, read 1,046,137 times
Quote:
McCain came across as a bitter, angry man in those debates. Romney came across as presidential.
One man's presidential is another man's arrogant a-hole.

Romney went overseas and made an utter ass of himself. It was embarrassing. OTOH, Obama generally knows how to interact with world leaders and they like him. I say generally because I think giving the Queen an IPod was kind of odd.

Old 10-04-2012, 03:44 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,507,035 times
Why??? Do black people have problems with altitude? Romney did just fine.

Old 10-04-2012, 03:44 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,136,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
It's difficult being in a debate with someone who lies. He was stunned in disbelief ...

Obama stated his use of economists to back is words while Romeny had none of that and essentially said that wasn't true... Based on his own research and expert economist skills?
It was stunning. How can you debate a pathological liar on a sugar high? I'm hoping Biden tears into his pathological liar next week though.

Old 10-04-2012, 03:45 PM

4,160 posts, read 5,623,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
^ is dumb.

Pressurized cabins compensate.

Read my post above.....maybe you will learn something....

Al Gore makng excuses...dumb.

Old 10-04-2012, 03:49 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,504,903 times
Default Romney lied

Proof:

Romney Contradicts Himself On Cutting Taxes For The Wealthy - YouTube

Old 10-04-2012, 03:50 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,766,994 times
Quote:
Why??? Do black people have problems with altitude? Romney did just fine.
Romney trained at altitude in Denver. I don't think race has anything to do with it. But individuals could very well vary in this feature.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections