Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2012, 11:21 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,203,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
I'm not about to defend Romney's other cuts, but the fact is that PBS is just as good as anything else. All we ever hear is "Oh, well that cut is only [fill in the %] of our total spending, so it wont make a difference" and I'm tired of that...we need to start cutting EVERYWHERE. I've worked at Fortune 100 companies where EVERY department was required to cut 5% from their budgets, no exceptions. If our leadership cant do something similar, then they are either protecting a segment of their voter block, or they just aren't trying too hard. The size of our financial problems dont allow for "warm fuzzy" protective cutting...everything is on the chopping block from Big Bird to Wars and Social Programs. They all need a haircut.
Then he should start telling us just what exactly he has in mind, because throwing out PBS as the sole example was insulting to the American people,and that's why Big Bird became such a big deal--it's no real cut at all. He wants to dramatically expand defense, and he was going to lower taxes on the wealthy (now, as of the last debate, he's changed his mind and says he's not going to cut their taxes, even though he's still calling for the elimination of capital gains and the estate tax )--what's he going to cut to make up the difference? His plan makes zero sense. Actually, it's beyond not making sense, because he won't tell us what it is...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2012, 11:24 AM

12,772 posts, read 7,975,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
Then he should start telling us just what exactly he has in mind, because throwing out PBS as the sole example was insulting to the American people,and that's why Big Bird became such a big deal--it's no real cut at all. He wants to dramatically expand defense, and he was going to lower taxes on the wealthy (which he's changed his mind and says he's not going to do now, even though he's still calling for the elimination of capital gains and the estate tax )--what's he going to cut to make up the difference? His plan makes zero sense.
Actually I think he was using it as an example to show that he is willing to look people in the eye and be honest about it even if he knows the audience wont be receptive. I mean he was telling it to a person vested in PBS, so it took some courage. It is not at all insulting to use it as an example since it shows the wasteful spending that is out there where we are supporting something with tax dollars that could support itself.

Other than that, I don't agree with his plans for more war spending so like I said before, I wont sit here and defend him, I just don't agree with the whole "Big Bird" thing being some sort of joke. Its a perfect example of our wasteful spending, and the fact that nobody can defend the spending and can only make childish jokes about it shows what a waste of resources it is.

Old 10-10-2012, 11:28 AM

376 posts, read 652,650 times
Default False Job Numbers Just the Beginning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilt11 View Post
Obama is on a decline and Romney is gaining steam. I'm almost expecting some dirty low blow tactic at this point as desperation is setting in. No way they don't come out with some dirt or something they've been saving. Or try something else.
Its getting worse by the day for them. Tomorrow will be no better as the hearings start on Libya.

Expect something very ugly from the Left soon

There's not doubt there looking for every thing they can to compromise Romney and the media is leading the effort. IF they need to they'll just lie...it's coming

Old 10-10-2012, 11:31 AM

45 posts, read 26,627 times
Quote:
Yeah, "the left" is too busy focusing on Big Bird while the economy is in the tank, we bleed money for wars and weapons, and our foreign policy is literally killing us.
You mean like how the right was so focused on abortion and gay rights ? Or how about the whole month nearly 2 months of the overblown " you didn't build that " garbage ? The right is just as bad so stop trying to act like your side has taken the high road.

Old 10-10-2012, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDeadspeak View Post
You mean like how the right was so focused on abortion and gay rights ? Or how about the whole month nearly 2 months of the overblown " you didn't build that " garbage ? The right is just as bad so stop trying to act like your side has taken the high road.
I'm not on "that side"

Old 10-10-2012, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Actually I think he was using it as an example to show that he is willing to look people in the eye and be honest about it even if he knows the audience wont be receptive. I mean he was telling it to a person vested in PBS, so it took some courage. It is not at all insulting to use it as an example since it shows the wasteful spending that is out there where we are supporting something with tax dollars that could support itself.

Other than that, I don't agree with his plans for more war spending so like I said before, I wont sit here and defend him, I just don't agree with the whole "Big Bird" thing being some sort of joke. Its a perfect example of our wasteful spending, and the fact that nobody can defend the spending and can only make childish jokes about it shows what a waste of resources it is.
I'd buy what you're saying more if he was willing to give ANY INDICATION at all about how he would handle the cuts he's vaguely proposing. An "example" is used to illustrate a point, and the problem with Romney is that he hasn't even made the point yet--he's told us zip.

Old 10-10-2012, 11:50 AM

45 posts, read 26,627 times
Quote:
I'm not on "that side"
Wasn't just talking to you, I was talking to the thread in general

Old 10-10-2012, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDeadspeak View Post
Wasn't just talking to you, I was talking to the thread in general
Well you said "your side" so I'm just clarifying. Although I agree with some of Romney's economic policies and school of thought, there is plenty that I disagree with him on...like wars, defense spending, and abortion.

This doesn't change my stance on the fact that PBS should be looked at critically if we are spending tax money on it. It is a black and white issue.

Old 10-10-2012, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
I'd buy what you're saying more if he was willing to give ANY INDICATION at all about how he would handle the cuts he's vaguely proposing. An "example" is used to illustrate a point, and the problem with Romney is that he hasn't even made the point yet--he's told us zip.
There is nothing to "buy" it is a simple fact that PBS takes tax dollars as a profitable entity, there is no need for this.

All of the other examples in the world on other cuts will not change the fact that PBS spending should be revisited and probably cut. That is all I care about, finding viable places to cut, and actually cutting them. Neither Obama OR Romney has shown me that they can or will do this. I would love to hear one of them say they are going to significantly cut the department of education at the federal level and/or the war on drugs. Those two should be givens.

Old 10-10-2012, 01:43 PM

Quote:
There is nothing to "buy" it is a simple fact that PBS takes tax dollars as a profitable entity, there is no need for this.

All of the other examples in the world on other cuts will not change the fact that PBS spending should be revisited and probably cut. That is all I care about, finding viable places to cut, and actually cutting them. Neither Obama OR Romney has shown me that they can or will do this. I would love to hear one of them say they are going to significantly cut the department of education at the federal level and/or the war on drugs. Those two should be givens.
Ok--so he cuts PBS. What else is going to cut, and by how much? PBS isn't the issue--it only became a factor because it was the ONLY thing he would name, so I don't know why you keep going on about it. Where are the real cuts going to come from, and why is Romney trying to make it such a big stinking secret? He wants us to vote for him, but he refuses to tell us even the most basic plan of what he would do as president? He's a complete joke.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections