Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2012, 08:24 AM

9,982 posts, read 13,779,878 times

Advertisements

We all know the narrative, Obama gave the most horrid debate performance in the history of debates. It has dominated the news, and even affected the polls. But it seems to me to be largely a perfect storm of media hype. Think about it. If you were to read the debate transcripts, did Obama say anything truly false or just plain stupid? Did he fail to honestly answer any questions? No, of course not. The main media threads are these: 1) the GOP wants to find any poor performance by the guy to support their narrative that he is a know nothing. This is absurd. He is one of the most intelligent, articulate men to ever sit in the Oval Office. Listen to any of dozens of interviews to determine that. 2) The democrats were looking to send Romney packing, but Obama took almost no direct attacks on the guy. He spoke to the people instead. Romney, in contrast, was on and aggressive, pulled another Etch a Sketch, and dominated their man, so the whole left wing chorus went hysterical. Chris Matthews blowing a gasket, Bill Maher saying he was on dope, Joe Klein calling him "bizarre," Andrew Sullivan saying he lost the election, etc,.etc.etc. It was embarrassing. Can you imagine Fox New people talking their man down after a debate? (I think something like 91% of Fox News viewers thought Ryan won the VP Debate!) Anyhow, the left slammed the dude more than the right. And of course, the effects reverberated across the blogosphere for the last couple weeks, causing him to crater in the polls.

Point is, Obama was obviously not feeling well, so he looked weak, or maybe he was a bit unprepared or rope-a-doping. Who knows, but he did not mount a strong offense. We all have days like that. We're not in "the zone", we're in "the tank." That is not the same as some epically stupid or currupt move, like Bush's "Mission Accomplished" moment, or Clinton's "I did not have sex with that woman!" lie.

We have abundant evidence that Obama is an articulate, passionate man, who is an intelligent, steady leader. Romney's record is almost precisely the opposite. One guy had a good night, the other a bad, at least in terms of presentation. Notch one for Romney, but stay tuned.

The Epic Failure of Obama is mostly smoke and mirrors.

Last edited by Fiddlehead; 10-14-2012 at 08:47 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2012, 08:27 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,693,991 times

Old 10-14-2012, 08:29 AM

3,179 posts, read 3,171,324 times
How do you know he "wasn't feeling well"????? Good grief, can you Libs find any more excuses for your Obamination? It was the altitude, jet lag, no teleprompter ....... LAME! He sucked because his policies and ideology suck and his 4 years in office have sucked worse than any President in history.

Old 10-14-2012, 08:33 AM

39,108 posts, read 51,321,770 times
I think the Dems crying about it did not help matters. Matthews et al would have done Obama a favor by being a little more positive instead of crying that Obama had not scored "points". Contrast that with Republicans. Ryan got his ass handed to him in his debate, but the Reps circled the wagons and insisted he won nonetheless. Republicans know how to lie and twist the facts to their advantage. Dems should learn from them.

Old 10-14-2012, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObserverNY View Post
How do you know he "wasn't feeling well"????? Good grief, can you Libs find any more excuses for your Obamination? It was the altitude, jet lag, no teleprompter ....... LAME! He sucked because his policies and ideology suck and his 4 years in office have sucked worse than any President in history.
Took you about 10 seconds to leap out with this. You would be in the first group I mentioned in the OP.
With the bolded, you would hardly be an unbiased observer.

We'll see if you are right this week. Expect to see your man knocked down a peg.

Old 10-14-2012, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I think the Dems crying about it did not help matters. Matthews et al would have done Obama a favor by being a little more positive instead of crying that Obama had not scored "points". Contrast that with Republicans. Ryan got his ass handed to him in his debate, but the Reps circled the wagons and insisted he won nonetheless. Republicans know how to lie and twist the facts to their advantage. Dems should learn from them.
Thanks, this pattern was certainly part of it. Folks in the middle must listen to the hardcore partisans (both of which were inclined to hammer Obama, for opposing reasons), which is a bit scary.

Old 10-14-2012, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
Took you about 10 seconds to leap out with this. You would be in the first group I mentioned in the OP.
With the bolded, you would hardly an unbiased observer.

We'll see if you are right this week. Expect to see your man knocked down a peg.
Well, Long Island is at sea level, so the altitude shouldn't bother him. And Hempstead is a high minority area so I imagine he'll get his ghetto mojo back just being surrounded by his peeps.

Where is it written that an Observer has to be "unbiased"? We are ALL biased one way or another based on our core beliefs and ideologies. Words have meaning. I mean what I say and say what I mean. Obama sucks.

Old 10-14-2012, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Immediately trying to conflate the reaction to Obama the Abyssmal with Biden the Demented? It is incomprehensible to me how any thinking person could defend or support either Obama or Biden. BIDEN LIED - he lied about his voting record, he lied about the Catholic Church and Obamacare and he lied about Libya. A demented liar a heartbeat away from the Presidency? Greeeeaaaat. You're going DOWN, Libs. Americans with brains will be taking back our country on Nov. 6th. Start drinking now.

Old 10-14-2012, 08:48 AM

89,232 posts, read 44,979,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
We have abundant evidence that Obama is an articulate, passionate man, who is an intelligent, steady leader.

Obama's Health Insurance Lie: 3,000% Reduction In Premiums - YouTube

Premiums fall by 3,000 percent? Really? How is that articulate OR intelligent?

Old 10-14-2012, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObserverNY View Post
Well, Long Island is at sea level, so the altitude shouldn't bother him. And Hempstead is a high minority area so I imagine he'll get his ghetto mojo back just being surrounded by his peeps.

Where is it written that an Observer has to be "unbiased"? We are ALL biased one way or another based on our core beliefs and ideologies. Words have meaning. I mean what I say and say what I mean. Obama sucks.
Hey, no worries ObserverNY, but I expected guys like you, and your ilk in the right wing blogosphere to start ranting right off the bat against the other guy, and to try to tell us your man's turds come out perfumed. You are entitled to your opinion, and I am entitled to point out what hogwash most of it is. That was not my point. It was about rhetoric and narrative.

Look at the Biden debate. He dominated Ryan, by interrupting and just being ON IT. He won. But you won't even admit it. Nor will most conservatives. We have heard days of excuses about how rude Biden was to kick little Ryan's butt. I will say, Ryan was more polite. But polite is not usually a way to win a debate. And when a presidential candidate is selling snake oil, I want my man to call it that. Biden did. He is a hero, IMO, for being a dick for all Americans. Go Joe!

But my general point on Obama was, rightwingers will never admit they lost. Lefties go into great self-flaggelations and histrionics when they think they lost. Neither is very appealing, and neither is the real truth of the matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections