Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2012, 12:22 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,768,529 times

Advertisements

Obama’s promise to “get that under control” arguably unfulfilled. Tom Brokaw Says President Obama Must Answer For $1.1 Trillion Deficit ‘That Happened On His Watch’.

President Obama, I’m going to get that under control.’ Well, this week that deficit is $1.1 trillion and it happened on his watch. He’s going to have to answer to that.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2012, 01:55 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,984,873 times
Indeed he must and Romney will hold him to it, along with the $5T in NEW debt he's tacked on. His miserable RECORD is chock full of wonderful fodder for Mitt/GOP.

Old 10-15-2012, 06:58 PM

13,900 posts, read 9,783,660 times
I guess maybe we should let the tax cuts expire and let the spending cuts happen. It would cut our deficit in half next year. Maybe Obama should do that.

Old 10-16-2012, 02:04 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,404,464 times
Default Who cares?

There's a reason why Brokaw is retired. He's misguided, outspoken with his meaningless Conservative leanings, and in complete denial. Congressional Republicans and Brokaw were SILENT when Bush was turning a SURPLUS into a deficit. Now Brokaw is ignoring the role of Congressional Republicans to slow down or halt President Obama's plans to cut the deficit by insisting on CONTINUING TAX CUTS FOR THE RICH? Brokaw is ignoring the focus of Congressional Republicans to cut spending which would hurt everyone but he rich?

Brokaw continues to miss the mark and his criticism of the President is not newsworthy.

Old 10-16-2012, 02:27 AM

5,503 posts, read 7,342,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
I guess maybe we should let the tax cuts expire and let the spending cuts happen. It would cut our deficit in half next year. Maybe Obama should do that.
That is the coward's way. A leader would have taken charge of the negotiations and not quit until a deal was made. Spending should not be cut willie nilly but based upon a thoughtful negotiated process of what can and can't be cut. Revenue also needs to be increased, but through growth, not tax increases that will cripple the economy.

Old 10-16-2012, 04:45 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,875,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Obama’s promise to “get that under control” arguably unfulfilled. Tom Brokaw Says President Obama Must Answer For $1.1 Trillion Deficit ‘That Happened On His Watch’.

President Obama, I’m going to get that under control.’ Well, this week that deficit is $1.1 trillion and it happened on his watch. He’s going to have to answer to that.”
I am pretty sure that in the last 5 decades only 2 Presidents have manage to lower the deficit, Clinton and Obama. Just sayin'....

Old 10-16-2012, 06:14 AM

8,276 posts, read 12,870,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
I am pretty sure that in the last 5 decades only 2 Presidents have manage to lower the deficit, Clinton and Obama. Just sayin'....
And 2 saved the auto Industry - Carter and Obama.

2 tripled the deficits too - Reagan and W , The same 2 used trickle down economics and delivered no results and now they think trickle down 3 will work? Clearly clueless

Think about the notion of giving massive amounts of revenue to the rich - You have a group that if they want something, they already own it so they won't spend a large influx of cash,. it will go in overseas accounts, the market and other areas that produce no results for the economy. Was Bush concerned with the massive handouts to the rich? Why did the billionaires rig an election for Bush? it paid off. Why would they do the same for Romney? it will pay off handsomely. Will they care if they increase deficits? no , will they care if the masses are damaged? no They will get what they paid for and be filthy rich in spades, no change for them, no help for the rest, or the country.

Last edited by AONE; 10-16-2012 at 07:13 AM..

Old 10-16-2012, 10:18 AM

6,933 posts, read 8,501,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post

As far as I know, Brokow made no such comment. But if you have a link to it, so that we can read it ourselves and see in what context is was supposedly offered .. I might be convinced it's not all just an imagined conversation we're having.

Old 10-16-2012, 10:32 AM

4,160 posts, read 5,626,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
As far as I know, Brokow made no such comment. But if you have a link to it, so that we can read it ourselves and see in what context is was supposedly offered .. I might be convinced it's not all just an imagined conversation we're having.

Brokaw Misattributes $1.1 Trillion Deficit to Obama - YouTube

You can Google right?

Old 10-16-2012, 11:09 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,797,346 times
How do we move forward? Seems to me that all we hear are objectives and promises from both sides, no different than we heard in 2008.

Who does not want to see their Federal Income taxes reduced 20%?

It it not reasonable to want to better understand a high-level how this will be achieved, beyond Big Bird?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections