Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2012, 05:30 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,984,873 times

Advertisements

Another devastating night for obama;

Obama Ekes Out a Win in 2 Post-Debate Polls - NationalJournal.com

Quote:
The trend was most notable in the CNN poll: he had an 18-point edge among registered voters on the economy (58 percent to Obama's 40 percent ); a 3-point edge on health care (49 percent to 46 percent); a 7-point edge on taxes (51 percent to 44 percent); and, largest of all, a 23-point edge on the deficit (59 percent to 36 percent).
CBS poll also has Romney walloping obama on the important issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2012, 05:30 AM

28,961 posts, read 30,311,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnvrsoul View Post
Give me a break.....I'm sick of everyone blaming Bush-honestly how would you answer the question? At least he attempted...

Avoiding the real truth? We have had four years of the same sh** and Obama wants us to ""trust him" to get things done now? He hasn't done sh** for anyone....
My question is are you blind? We have two choices...I'll take Romney, at least he has leadership experience...

What in the world is wrong with you people? I'm not sure what you mean by this statement...I'm not a republican but I'm sick of Obama-he had two years to get this country back on it's feet...what did he do? Obamacare...hasn't done sh** for the American people..

I'd rather have Bill Clinton then this empty suit.
Yes, Romney avoided the questions...
big time, and so did Obama, I'm sick of Obama to and thought I made that clear.

Old 10-17-2012, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post

on what grounds? how do they conclude this.

Old 10-17-2012, 05:32 AM

1,652 posts, read 2,552,180 times
On Benghazi...

Frankly, I think the whole semantic argument is ridiculous, and it doesn't score any political points with me. It doesn't matter a bit what the WH thought the attack were "about" or "caused by" initially. If they judged it wrong in the heat of the moment, then so be it, things like that happen. Dissecting whether he said "terror" or "terrorism" and what he was referring to is useless bickering imo.

At the end of the day, 4 Americans were killed...

• Focus on where the breakdown in security was inside the walls.
• Focus on whether or not we had the right amount of security there.
• Focus on whether we should have been there at all.
• Focus on improving security at all our embassies.
• Focus on our overall foreign policy.

But focusing on whether the WH initially thought it was the video, or a protest gone violent, or a 9/11 retaliation right after the event is really pretty meaningless at this point. The fight is over (and lost, at least for Stevens and the others who died), now work on improving the overall structure to try and prevent a repeat of those events.

Old 10-17-2012, 05:34 AM

3,478 posts, read 7,261,329 times
^Good points!

Old 10-17-2012, 05:38 AM

1,652 posts, read 2,552,180 times
Overall, I'll say they both landed some bunches, they both didn't answer the questions they were asked, and they both will make hay out of the whole thing and claim victory.

I thought it was ridiculous how they both said "Government doesn't create jobs" (which is partially true) but then went on to try and convince us how they would create jobs using the Government.

I think if there is a "winner" it's the President because he came out strong (unlike the 1st debate) and he had a gravitas that Romney really lacks (imo). I thought his closing statement was very strong and will leave an impression.

But the real winner? Binders. MEAD stock jumped 38% last night.

Old 10-17-2012, 05:41 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,174,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post

Ouch, thats surprising.. Maybe people are starting to see through all of the Obama bull ****.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
on what grounds? how do they conclude this.
They asked people who watched.

Old 10-17-2012, 05:46 AM

14,696 posts, read 14,674,826 times
Quote:
Obama says, "For young people who’ve come here, brought here oftentimes by their parents, have gone to school here, pledged allegiance to the flag, think of this as their country and understand themselves as Americans in every way except having papers, we should make sure we give them a pathway to citizenship. And that’s what I’ve done administratively.”

FACTS: His administrative actions do not provide a pathway to citizenship. The administration is allowing as many as 1.7 million young illegal immigrants to apply to avoid deportation for up to two years and get a work permit. And the government has begun a policy of prosecutorial discretion under which illegal immigrants with longstanding ties to the U.S. and no criminal history are generally not arrested and deported by immigration authorities. But these steps do not extend legal status or a process resulting in citizenship.

ROMNEY: “I know he keeps saying, `You want to take Detroit bankrupt.’ Well, the president took Detroit bankrupt. You took General Motors bankrupt. You took Chrysler bankrupt. So when you say that I wanted to take the auto industry bankrupt, you actually did. And I think it’s important to know that that was a process that was necessary to get those companies back on their feet, so they could start hiring more people. That was precisely what I recommended and ultimately what happened.”

THE FACTS: What Romney recommended did not happen, and his proposed path probably would have forced General Motors and Chrysler out of business. He opposed using government money to bail out the automakers, instead favoring privately financed bankruptcy restructuring. But the automakers were bleeding cash and were poor credit risks. The banking system was in crisis. So private loans weren’t available. Without government aid, both companies probably would have gone under and their assets would have been sold in pieces.

OBAMA: “And what I want to do is build on the 5 million jobs that we’ve created over the last 30 months in the private sector alone.”
THE FACTS: As he has done before, Obama is cherry-picking his numbers to make them sound better than they really are. He ignores the fact that public-sector job losses have dragged down overall job creation. Also, he chooses just to mention the past 30 months. That ignores job losses during his presidency up until that point. According to the Labor Department, about 4.5 million total jobs have been created over the past 30 months. But some 4.3 million jobs were lost during the earlier months of his administration. At this point, Obama is a net job creator, but only marginally.

ROMNEY: “The proof of whether a strategy is working or not is what the price is that you’re paying at the pump. If you’re paying less than you paid a year or two ago, why, then, the strategy is working. But you’re paying more. When the president took office, the price of gasoline here in Nassau County was about $1.86 a gallon. Now, it’s $4 a gallon. The price of electricity is up. If the president’s energy policies are working, you’re going to see the cost of energy come down.”

THE FACTS: Presidents have almost no effect on energy prices; most are set on financial exchanges around the world. When Obama took office, the world was in the grip of a financial crisis and crude prices – and gasoline prices along with them – had plummeted because world demand had collapsed. Crude oil prices have since risen even as U.S. oil production has soared in recent years because global demand is reaching new heights as the developing economies of Asia use more oil.
Other energy prices have fallen during Obama’s term. Electricity prices, when adjusted for inflation, are down, and homeowners are finding it much cheaper to heat their homes with natural gas. That’s because natural gas production has surged, reducing prices both for homeowners and for utilities that burn gas to generate electricity.

ROMNEY: “I’m going to bring rates down across the board for everybody, but I’m going to limit deductions and exemptions and credits, particularly for people at the high end, because I am not going to have people at the high end pay less than they’re paying now.”

THE FACTS: Romney is proposing to cut all income tax rates by 20 percent, eliminate the estate tax and the alternative minimum tax, maintain and expand tax breaks for investment income, and do it all without adding to the deficit or shifting the tax burden from the wealthy to the middle class. He says he would pay for the tax cuts by reducing or eliminating tax deductions, exemptions and credits, but he can’t achieve all of his goals under the budget rules presidents must follow.

The Tax Policy Center, a Washington research group, says in a study that the tax cuts proposed by Romney would reduce federal tax revenues by about $5 trillion over 10 years. The study concludes that there aren’t enough tax breaks for the wealthy to make up the lost revenue, so the proposal would either add to the deficit or shift more of the tax burden onto the middle class.
Romney’s campaign cites studies by conservative academics and think tanks that say Romney’s plan will spur economic growth, generating enough additional money to pay for the tax cuts without adding to the deficit or shifting the tax burden to the middle class. But Congress doesn’t recognize those kinds of economic projections when it estimates the budget impact of tax proposals.

ROMNEY: “A recent study has shown that people in the middle class will see $4,000 a year in higher taxes as a result of the spending and borrowing of this administration.”

THE FACTS: Romney’s claim is based on an analysis by the conservative American Enterprise Institute that examines the amount of debt that has accumulated on Obama’s watch and in a potential second term and computes how much it would cost to finance that debt through tax increases. Annual deficits under Obama have exceeded $1 trillion for each year of his term.

However, Obama is not responsible for all of the deficits that have occurred on his watch. Most of the federal budget – like Medicare, food stamps, Medicaid and Social Security – runs on autopilot, and no one in a leadership position in Washington has proposed deep cuts in those programs. And politicians in both parties voted two years ago to renew Bush-era tax cuts that have contributed to the deficit. Even under the strict spending cuts proposed by Romney, the debt would continue to rise, just not as quickly.

Now, how does any of this propose change????????? The Government cannot create jobs...it is up to the private sector to do so....and GREED RULES all of them, every single day, companies are hiring more and more consultants, so they do not have to pay any benefits and they can now pay lower wages....
if they are not moving to foreign countries. The only way to make this country better is, jobs....and creating our own products here...but all of us have gotten greedy, and do not want to work for our paychecks....all of us think we deserve high salaries...benefits out the gazzo...it really angers me, that a woman thinks she can perform a job, when she gets pregnant and gets 6 weeks leave....paid?????? So, someone else has to do her work, while she is getting paid to work, and doesn't care about the work load that her co-workers have to endure while she is out? How is that fair? That is just plain wrong....and I'm a woman!!!!!! Everyone, everyone of us thinks we deserve....we don't deserve anything unless we work hard for it....
Very fair, detailed analysis. Well done.

Old 10-17-2012, 05:54 AM

7,685 posts, read 6,205,552 times
Quote:
What solutions did Romney offer, what plans does he have....? All the candidates state, "I have a plan, they side step questions in the debates...clearly, and you can't see it....What makes Romney so much better then Obama, and believe me, I DO NOT LIKE OBAMA!!!
He has that 5 point plan for starters amongst other things.

I'm registered as a "Not affiliated".

Old 10-17-2012, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Any concrete plan either candidate puts out will become an attack point. Whichever man wins, he will have to take some very unpopular measures to fix the economy. Those measures don't make for winning campaign proposals.
yes, but that is my point, none of them EVER put out a plan, when questions are asked, during all debates, they just say, "well, errrr, I have a plan".....and I'm not just talking this debate, when do people start asking, "hmmmm, he has a plan, well, I wonder what it is". Honestly, I don't think most people on this forum listen...they are so syced, about their own party, they really don't care to listen, and then defend they're party? How can that be an informed voter?

And your not hearing me, they didn't PUT out a plan, stating it and having one are two different entities...? so what, if their plans are attacked? It always will be that way, however, one has to explain a plan, to claim a plan, but obviously not, not here in America, we are so freakin gullable?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections