Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2012, 06:34 PM

5,739 posts, read 6,968,225 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
Strange, I can't find anything about Obama's buddy Jon Corzine in the list. Mr. $1.6B disappeared under my watch, but I'm not going to be put in jail because I'm a huge campaign bundler that has brought in almost $1M for the campaign.

What about other Obama Billionaire supporters like that are all billionaire investors:

George Soros who is clearly a bad person because he makes most of his money from capital gains and probably pays a lower tax rate than his secretary.

Which brings me to Warren Buffet who...well just see above. And besides that, isn't this the same guy crying that nobody pays enough taxes, but the government has been tied up in litigation for years trying to get him to pay back taxes that he is trying to get out of?

Then you have Marc Lasry, a hedge fund manager worth over a billion dollars that also pays a really low tax rate I'm sure, and again he has to be bad right because he is a Wall St. hedge fund manager.

Tom Steyer...another hedge fund manager worth a few billion with a low tax rate that also happens to spend his spare time trying to manipulate California's tax laws to benefit his personal investments in the green industry.

I have such a hard time following the narrative here...billionaires that pay low tax rates and donate to Republicans are evil horrible people, but billionaires that pay low tax rates and donate to Democrats only care about their fellow man and can do no wrong? Is that how it works?
Um, no...that's not it at all.
With the multitude of posts to read, why do you righties continue to miss the point, ignore all the posts and links you don't like, and continue to blissfully parrot Fox? Take some time and try to digest - maybe you'll eventually get it.
Clue: it's about republican aims for this country.
Clue: it's not about being rich.
Clue: it's about who supports corporate takeover of government.
Getting any flashes of insight yet?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2012, 06:50 PM

12,772 posts, read 8,018,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detwahDJ View Post
Um, no...that's not it at all.
With the multitude of posts to read, why do you righties continue to miss the point, ignore all the posts and links you don't like, and continue to blissfully parrot Fox? Take some time and try to digest - maybe you'll eventually get it.
Clue: it's about republican aims for this country.
Clue: it's not about being rich.
Clue: it's about who supports corporate takeover of government.
Getting any flashes of insight yet?
Clue for you...leftie if you want to call names I'm happy to join in, and I love how people like you always think that if you disagree with something it must have come from Fox News. I hate to disappoint you, but I couldn't even tell you what channel Fox is in my cable line up. The only time its ever on in my house is for the short split second where I scroll past it. The information I posted came from my own personal research on the topic because thats what I do...I read lots of news online from dozens of different sources on a regular basis.

Now...to the point at hand. Your buddy Obama is no different than Romney, he has some of the same corporate and big money type interests that want to and are succeeding in taking over the government, they are just in a different political spectrum. One group that they both bend over and grab their ankles for are the Wall Street bankers though, that is obvious for sure. Another group buying influence over our government and getting a free pass are the health care corporations (I mean who do you think wrote the Obama care bill) and unions. Then you have all of the green energy companies that Obama cant stop (and Bush did his part with ethanol subsidies) handing money to so they can bleed it away.

I hope that flash of insight doesn't blind you and knock you off that high horse you found your way up on to.

Old 10-18-2012, 06:54 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,322,830 times
4 years ago you liberal kooks were high 5ng the endorsement of Obama by the likes of Oprah Winfre, and Warren Buffet.

Thread FAIL!!!!

Old 10-18-2012, 06:59 PM

993 posts, read 836,013 times
Quote:
Yeah 'hyuk' one of "them" . An educated "support"...
Two typically vacuous falsehoods. How desperate the Right is becoming.
"Vote for Obama! Don't Vote for Success!"

Old 10-22-2012, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
Clue for you...leftie if you want to call names I'm happy to join in, and I love how people like you always think that if you disagree with something it must have come from Fox News. I hate to disappoint you, but I couldn't even tell you what channel Fox is in my cable line up. The only time its ever on in my house is for the short split second where I scroll past it. The information I posted came from my own personal research on the topic because thats what I do...I read lots of news online from dozens of different sources on a regular basis.

Now...to the point at hand. Your buddy Obama is no different than Romney, he has some of the same corporate and big money type interests that want to and are succeeding in taking over the government, they are just in a different political spectrum. One group that they both bend over and grab their ankles for are the Wall Street bankers though, that is obvious for sure. Another group buying influence over our government and getting a free pass are the health care corporations (I mean who do you think wrote the Obama care bill) and unions. Then you have all of the green energy companies that Obama cant stop (and Bush did his part with ethanol subsidies) handing money to so they can bleed it away.

I hope that flash of insight doesn't blind you and knock you off that high horse you found your way up on to.
Nothing personal, but Fox (and its many contributors) is the decades-old "voice of conservatism" and a place where many people get their "fair and balanced" news and info - relying on it heavily. Since it is the "big cahuna" of talk it is also used by myself as allegorical of "conservative media".
But that aside, to say that Obama is no different from Romney, or that democrats are the same as republicans is just wrong, especially if you look inside the parties.
Current Repubs are ideologically in virtual lockstep in support of corporate oligarchy or plutocracy (not historically so). This is a different breed of republican. The party has been hijacked.
Democrats have a larger tent and are often sabotaged by conservatives within the party - one reason they are often ineffectual in pushing their agenda. The Progressive Caucus is the opposite of the oligarchists and is pro-democracy. Because it sees democracy slipping away, it wants to remove the detrimental consequences of big money lobbying and our coin-operated government (which you allude to).

For instance, have you heard any republican speak in opposition to the Citizens United ruling (courtesy of conservative activist judges)? No - because they believe in it.
Sounds to me like you and I have the same concerns about a Wall Street government and need to support the progressive democrats.
BTW, yes, both take money, but it's out of necessity at the moment. Without money, nobody runs - a sad fact. This money also decides who can run for office, and who gets air time in the media. I hope you share this concern.
Difference is, repubs embrace the present system. Let's work to get the money out of politics.

Old 10-22-2012, 09:43 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,251,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
I've said it before and I'll say it again...there are people in the USA that are not members of the Plutocracy, but average citizens that feel all secure, warm and fuzzy to have Plutocrats dictate the rules and run government.
Yeah, George Soros comes to mind.

Old 10-22-2012, 10:26 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,772,314 times
Quote:
Nothing personal, but Fox (and its many contributors) is the decades-old "voice of conservatism" and a place where many people get their "fair and balanced" news and info - relying on it heavily. Since it is the "big cahuna" of talk it is also used by myself as allegorical of "conservative media".
But that aside, to say that Obama is no different from Romney, or that democrats are the same as republicans is just wrong, especially if you look inside the parties.
Current Repubs are ideologically in virtual lockstep in support of corporate oligarchy or plutocracy (not historically so). This is a different breed of republican. The party has been hijacked.
Democrats have a larger tent and are often sabotaged by conservatives within the party - one reason they are often ineffectual in pushing their agenda. The Progressive Caucus is the opposite of the oligarchists and is pro-democracy. Because it sees democracy slipping away, it wants to remove the detrimental consequences of big money lobbying and our coin-operated government (which you allude to).

For instance, have you heard any republican speak in opposition to the Citizens United ruling (courtesy of conservative activist judges)? No - because they believe in it.
Sounds to me like you and I have the same concerns about a Wall Street government and need to support the progressive democrats.
BTW, yes, both take money, but it's out of necessity at the moment. Without money, nobody runs - a sad fact. This money also decides who can run for office, and who gets air time in the media. I hope you share this concern.
Difference is, repubs embrace the present system. Let's work to get the money out of politics.
A couple of Quick questions for you, have the wealthy done better or worse the last 4 years under the present administration? Has the middle class done better or worse under Obama and democrat controlled senate? How about the poor?

Democrats are so much more for the poor, look at how much lip service they pay to them, forget the fact that more people are poor then they have been in decades, homelessness is on the rise, and the distance between the wealthy and middle class has increased substantially under the democrat's watch.

Let me ask you who do you think owned all these companies that Obama gave the stimulus too? You think they were a bunch of poor guys with good ideas? Nope they were major contributors and campaign bundlers for his campaign in 2008. Yet you want to ***** that Romney is getting donations from wealthy people, yet he is not the one that has already proven to help out his rich friends with our money.

Old 10-23-2012, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwiley View Post
A couple of Quick questions for you, have the wealthy done better or worse the last 4 years under the present administration? Has the middle class done better or worse under Obama and democrat controlled senate? How about the poor?

Democrats are so much more for the poor, look at how much lip service they pay to them, forget the fact that more people are poor then they have been in decades, homelessness is on the rise, and the distance between the wealthy and middle class has increased substantially under the democrat's watch.

Let me ask you who do you think owned all these companies that Obama gave the stimulus too? You think they were a bunch of poor guys with good ideas? Nope they were major contributors and campaign bundlers for his campaign in 2008. Yet you want to ***** that Romney is getting donations from wealthy people, yet he is not the one that has already proven to help out his rich friends with our money.
Most of what you say comes straight off the Fox wire. The stimulus was not funnelled to "friends" - where did you hear this? Many republicans requested stimulus money while publicly opposing the program. Did you watch the VP debate? Ryan himself!! Here's one example but there is lots more. If you really wanted answers you could easily do these searches yourself.
Ohio businesses that got stimulus money support Republicans who blasted the program | cleveland.com
The democrats have no "watch" and haven't for years. You should not be leaving congressional republicans out of this "watch". Why would you do this? Everything repubs are doing to sabotage this presidency has been covered by umpteen threads and posts as well as the independent media - except for Fox of course.
Here's the short story: what's good for the country today is bad for republicans in November - and they know it. The worse off the country, the better for republicans. Check for 'congressional republican obstructionism' and see what you get.

Last edited by detwahDJ; 10-23-2012 at 10:04 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections