Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2012, 09:28 AM

9,984 posts, read 10,397,060 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbmsu01 View Post
CNN did (or is doing) a series on undecided voters and what they're thinking about. Since I think I'd still consider myself undecided at this point, and I'm narcissistic enough to like to talk about myself , I thought I'd do one and see what people think.

I'm a relatively young (31 year old) white male. I'm single, never been married, no kids, have a great girlfriend. I live in Michigan, which is almost guaranteed to vote for Barack Obama, but it's probably not set in stone depending on what events transpire in the next month.

I went to school (undergrad and grad) for chemical engineering. Upon graduation, I had a decent paying job, but unfortunately I was laid off, and challenges have ensued since then. I've taken UE benefits, but no food stamps or anything else. I have also done some part-time work. I would like a real job - some may say that I'm not taking the right steps to get one, but that's a personal issue, not a political one. I don't really have any clue how cutting taxes on job creators is really going to trickle down as we've been doing that for my entire life with weak results. But I don't think it's responsible to keep increasing the deficit to create jobs either.

I'm Christian - I'm very involved with my church, going to services, singing in choir, and Bible studies for my age group. That being said, I'm not a fundamentalist or anything. It bugs me that the only two issues it seems like Christians focus in on politically are abortion and same-sex marriage, while totally ignoring sins like greed, pride, and slander that run rampant in everybody's lives. My views on abortion are fairly similar to Romney's. I'm not sure whether the biblical understanding of homosexuality is compatible with the modern one, and I really think that is up to the individual in question, so I'd probably lean more towards favoring same-sex marriage than opposing it, although I don't really feel comfortable with a position either way.

Other things - I'm generally skeptical of the dominance of big business in America and want to the support the little guy. Environmentally, I defer to science as opposed to agendas. I'm pro-gun, pro-hunting, etc. I'm definitely pro-military. My family tends to lean Republican, although we are in disagreement about some of the core issues listed here. I voted for Obama in 2008 because I didn't want a continuation of the Bush policies.

What do you guys think?
Basically Romney would be a continuation of Bush policies. He wants to keep the Bush tax cuts and expand on them, he wants to repeal all of the post crisis financial regulation, and has not given any specifics on how he would regulate banks. He also essentially is following a Neo-Conservative approach to the middle east and favors greater intervention in both Syria and Iran.

Basically, the reason the GOP doesn't want to really talk about Bush is because they know Bush was unpopular, but this time around Romney is not all that different from Bush.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2012, 09:31 AM

9,984 posts, read 10,397,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnewberry22 View Post
I'll disclose prior to typing this: I'm voting for Mitt.

But...my political science teacher always said this during his classes and I think it is the best way to determine how you lean politically.

Examine what you personally believe is the scope and responsibility of the government. What should the government do for you and your community? Is it the role of the government to facilitate small business growth? Should the government assist the poor? How much assistance should they give? Ultimately, it boils down to the scope/size of the government. How big/involved should it be in our day to day lives?

No one can tell you how to feel about certain issues but I have always felt an objective examination of the desired involvement in our day to day lives from the government can be a good way to determine which side of the aisle you are on.
I think that is a fairly good approach, with that said I have to disagree with the last sentence of the 2nd paragraph. Ultimately both major parties want big government. It is just a matter of where do you want your big government.

Old 10-18-2012, 09:39 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,461,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn2390 View Post
Good plan, vote third party so the communist will have a better chance of being re-elected. Why do you hate this country??
Geez, how's that for a good example of the "values" of your typical Romney supporter these days...?!

Old 10-18-2012, 09:45 AM

35,710 posts, read 21,076,200 times
I do not think this is about american idol- but agendas... the prez is simple the man who heads the agenda- the democrats and the republican agenda is what NEEDS to be studied befor you vote, I personally will not vote for those who will NOT follow the "love of God" towards the poor, sick, or disanfranchised etc. The politcial christian only has 3 sins on his mind, gays, abortion and adultery... as long as you line up with these three, you get the vote even if you hurt or kill thousands of others in the name of mammon... God never said to store up for the future, in fact he called them fools. Should we handle our business better sure! I would ask what kind of american or christian even sends thier business overseas and unemploys your neighbors? I would ask why do you support people who hire the illegals and scream at at the poor guy trying to feed his family. I would ask who would support companies who use child labor, sweat shops and horrible conditions, fires- etc for your own comfort. WE are hypocrits- but judgement will come here or there and God will ask you,,, what is it He will ask? did you feed my poor,,, I asked God about different political speeches and he showed me the scriptures-- trust me,,, we are in trouble with the Father, but do you really care or its all about me myself and mine..

Old 10-18-2012, 09:45 AM

20,462 posts, read 12,390,108 times
Here are the things that I think matter. I am sure others will disagree.

First thing is, that Barak Obama has submitted a single budget to congress over the last 3 years. That single budget he submitted got ZERO votes from either party.

If I knew nothing else about the man, that is enough for me to know I dont want him as president.

but that isnt all I know.

I know he said if we passed his stimulus bill, it would fix the economy. It didnt. The economy is in shambles. There are fewer JOBS today than when he took office.

These things alone should be enough (in my opinion) to convince an undecided person that Obama is not right for America.

Old 10-18-2012, 10:01 AM

43 posts, read 37,780 times
WOW! MantaRay, you are right on point about this election. I LOVE to read intelligent people's long post. I totally agree with you. I have been following the President's election since day one and knows all the facts. Mitt Romney is "A DAM LIAR" and his wife is a "DAM LIAR" too. I don't have anything against the Romney klan, however, I stop listening to him a long time ago when he told his first lie. And for Ms Romney, I was out with her uppity self when she came down on the female Democratic lobbyist Hilary Rosen about the stay at home mom incident. In my opinion, she made that out to be more than what the lobbyist was saying. How can she possibly compare herself (super rich) to normal stay at home moms! Ask for you sweetie, go with your heart. You are already on the right track, you go to church. Talk to the-Real-King-In-charge, God, and go with the way he leads you. May God bless you and your family, and may God bless our President and the United States of America.

Old 10-18-2012, 10:08 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,750,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
I personally will not vote for those who will NOT follow the "love of God" towards the poor, sick, or disanfranchised etc.
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day teach a man to fish and you feed him for life?

The problem is that "many" of the poor and so call dis-infanchised want the fish. They refuse to learn now to fish. They get food, housing, clothing, healthcare, obamaphones yet they want more. What will it "really" take for them to "want" to learn how to fish. At what point will they get enough free stuff.

Welfare is meant to help the poor, it is "not" meant to provide a life of luxury. If you want a better life then get educated and work for that better life.

The government will keep you poor.

Old 10-18-2012, 10:11 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,750,585 times
Why do people go to school? To get a good job and make good money. Lets say you go to med school and become a doctor. That is years of schooling only to find that when you get out and make good money Obama will say you make too much money and he will tax it away. People start businesses in hopes of making it big. They risk everything and if they do succeed, Obama will tax money away from them. According to Obama, people do not have the right to make good money. The point is,

Obama preaches education but he means education for people to live in mediocracy.

Old 10-18-2012, 10:20 AM

3,179 posts, read 3,167,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MantaRay View Post
Your interpretation of what I'm saying begs for much effort to enhance your reading comprehension skills.

The only clear, logical choice if you want America to succeed at returning to its Bush-era self is to vote for Mitt Romney.
There's one little problem with the Left's characterization of the "Bush-era" policies as being a failure. After 9/11, as a NYer, I had great fear for the future of our country, jobs and real estate. For six years, we saw unbelievable growth and appreciation, six very happy, productive years. What happened in 2007? Oh that's right, the Dems took over Congress. Pelosi became head of the House and Reid the head of the Senate. It's been downhill since then and Bush did nothing more than side with the Dems. Remember TARP I? Obama voted for that! The plan to withdraw from Iraq was Bush's plan and Bush's timetable, not Obama's! Why did Obama keep Ben Bernanke as head of the Fed? And now Obama is trying to throw General Petraeus under the bus for the stupid mob/video story? Remember how the left went crazy with a full page ad in the NY Slimes on General Betrayus?

Romney can't possibly be worse than Obama. And hopefully, we will have a GOP majority in Congress. 2010 all over again!

Old 10-18-2012, 10:23 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,427,122 times
Sensible argument even if you support Obama he is offering no specifics or vision of the future . All he is doing is running a negative campaign against an honorable man. If Obama wins we would sanction a political environment where policies don't matter but rather how much you can tar your opponent.
Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwoodgirl View Post
I live in a mostly conservative state (TN). When Clinton was president, my state governor and the Clinton adminstration worked out a deal to try a new health care model. It was bi-partisan, the governor at that time was a R.
With help from the federal government, we implemented a health care system to cover all the people who "fall through the cracks," self-employed, low income, pre-existing conditions, etc. Had it worked, the plan was for it to become a model for the nation
Due to scammers, uncontrolled prescription costs, etc. the program did not work. It was bankrupting the state. A Democrat ran for office, and he had an incredible amount of private health care experience. I voted for him because health care was the biggest issue facing our state and state economy at that time.
He did an excellent job- and really, if Obama was serious about a workable health care plan, he should have appt. our previous governor.

I like Romney for the same reasons that I voted for that Dem. governor. Because he has the right economic experience for the current situation. He has a history of turning around things, both public and private (Staples, Olympics, etc.) And he has the added health care experience as well. He is the right person, with the right experience, at the right time.

Obama clearly can't turn this around, he's had 4 years and has done nothing but print money to prop up the economy. This is not sustainable.
I truly believe Romney can make a difference if elected.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections