Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2012, 12:33 PM

20,054 posts, read 18,301,225 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Yes, climate change is real. And no, Adam and Eve did not walk with dinosaurs.
Ironic that you use a cult religion in your first sentence yet denounce what you see as a cult religion in the 2nd.

Old 10-26-2012, 12:37 PM

6,369 posts, read 6,416,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
Yabut, this is the GOP we're talking about - and all the white racists, rednecks, and the mean Karl Rove types. The Dems are much more passive as a rule, imo.

Someone on C-Span last week said if Romney loses the EV and wins the popular vote, the GOP will move heaven and earth to do away with the Electoral College.
But...the Electoral College systematically overweights the votes of small population, rural states. Doing away with it would make us more likely to be ruled by the coasts, and water down the influence of Red States. And it lets huge Democrat majorities in crazy places like NY and California be essentially wasted, since 51% is as good as 75% in the Electoral College.

So no, I don't think there will be any major effort to do away with the Electoral College. If it happens, look for the middle and south of the country (generally west of the Mississippi excluding the west coast, OR south of the Ohio) to try to secede sooner rather than later.

IF you are right, then we Republicans are dumber than I currently believe. Better policy would be to wait for 2016, when the need for a huge swing away from the anti-prosperity movement would be even more evident.

Old 10-26-2012, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Except for that fact that Obama is on the course to re-election. You guys are seriously having a very difficult time dealing with evidence. Yes, climate change is real. And no, Adam and Eve did not walk with dinosaurs.
I would think that one of the requirements of "on course to re-election" would be a reading above 48% in ANY national tracking poll that includes any of the last five days. And "on course to re-election" would seem to preclude being behind in any of those polls. You're confusing a coin-toss situation with a lead-pipe cinch.

Here's some data, why don't you look at it?

RealClearPolitics - Election 2012 - General Election: Romney vs. Obama

Old 10-26-2012, 12:49 PM

39,093 posts, read 51,289,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
But...the Electoral College systematically overweights the votes of small population, rural states. Doing away with it would make us more likely to be ruled by the coasts, and water down the influence of Red States. And it lets huge Democrat majorities in crazy places like NY and California be essentially wasted, since 51% is as good as 75% in the Electoral College.

So no, I don't think there will be any major effort to do away with the Electoral College. If it happens, look for the middle and south of the country (generally west of the Mississippi excluding the west coast, OR south of the Ohio) to try to secede sooner rather than later.

IF you are right, then we Republicans are dumber than I currently believe. Better policy would be to wait for 2016, when the need for a huge swing away from the anti-prosperity movement would be even more evident.
Maybe Republicans should knock off with the divisiveness and the hate politics, let social progress take its inevitable course, and get back to common sense principles of limited government. They might actually see the inside of the White House again if they did that.

Old 10-26-2012, 12:52 PM

32,119 posts, read 34,781,879 times
Quote:
I would think that one of the requirements of "on course to re-election" would be a reading above 48% in ANY national tracking poll that includes any of the last five days. And "on course to re-election" would seem to preclude being behind in any of those polls. You're confusing a coin-toss situation with a lead-pipe cinch.

Here's some data, why don't you look at it?

RealClearPolitics - Election 2012 - General Election: Romney vs. Obama
When was the last election where the outcome was decided by the popular vote?

You clearly understand this, but I suppose you have to play the cards that's best for you. That's the popular vote card for Republicans right now. But that makes absolutely no difference at the end of the day. All that matters is the Electoral College.

Old 10-26-2012, 12:55 PM

39,093 posts, read 51,289,449 times
Quote:
When was the last election where the outcome was decided by the popular vote?

You clearly understand this, but I suppose you have to play the cards that's best for you. That's the popular vote card for Republicans right now. But that makes absolutely no difference at the end of the day. All that matters is the Electoral College.
This notion that Romney is leading in the national polls is BS.If you go look at 538 today there is a list of national polls that were released yesterday including several that RCP conveniently ignores in making their "average". The average of all those polls yesterday? Tied.

Old 10-26-2012, 01:01 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,436,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
This notion that Romney is leading in the national polls is BS.If you go look at 538 today there is a list of national polls that were released yesterday including several that RCP conveniently ignores in making their "average". The average of all those polls yesterday? Tied.
Well on this we agree, no way you can have too wide a divergence between national and state polls. I personally think many of the state polls are wrong this cycle. Will find out soon.

Old 10-26-2012, 01:20 PM

32,119 posts, read 34,781,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Well on this we agree, no way you can have too wide a divergence between national and state polls. I personally think many of the state polls are wrong this cycle. Will find out soon.
State polls are more likely to be accurate than national polls. A sample of 600 voters for a state of 10 million people will be prone to less sampling error than a sample of 600 voters for a nation of 310 million.

Old 10-26-2012, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Maybe Republicans should knock off with the divisiveness and the hate politics, let social progress take its inevitable course, and get back to common sense principles of limited government. They might actually see the inside of the White House again if they did that.
Yeah, if I was charge of it there would be a true limited-government party, libertarian on social issues, intent on fiscal realism, all the regulation we need and none that we don't, focused on making it more true than ever that America is the one place on Earth where each person is most free to unlock the power of their own potential, equality of opportunity--not outcomes.

Unfortunately the actual choices we have do not line up that way.

Old 10-26-2012, 01:34 PM

3,079 posts, read 3,125,068 times
Quote:
You know, I've watched Obama's approval rating in Gallup for his whole term in office, and I noticed soemthing very curious. It has been on a persistent rise for months, even during the past month while his election support has been fading.

I think there must be a group of people who have decided that Obama is OK, he's tried his best, so they "approve" of his job--but they also realize it's OK to vote against him to get to a better way to grow jobs, prosperity, wealth and incomes.

It really is amazing to look back and realize that Obama had 70% approval on Inauguration Day; the country was behind him. Nearly one-fifth of the country did not vote for him, but approved of him on Inauguration Day to go along with the 50-whatever percent that voted for him. But that reservoir of goodwill was squandered a long time ago.
You gave the wrong guy a reputation....I support Obama but polls are polls. Its called being fair which most on the right can't even spell!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections