Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2012, 05:55 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,403,369 times

Advertisements

I assume after the election that the paychecks for a lot of the astroturfers will be disappearing, so you won't see them around here much anymore.

Old 11-05-2012, 05:56 AM

684 posts, read 826,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
BTW, ever notice that a lot of these wingnut types frequently doing all the reckless boasting, also seem to have a "join date" here that just happens to coincide with the major election cycles... after which they simply drop out of sight, only to re-surface again under a new screen name? It's so nice and tidy, and saves ever having to answer for stuff like past lies or willful stupidity (or lost bets), posted before the election!
You may be right. The latest numbers seem to be ratifying in Obama's favor, with the exception of Romney's late(And surprising) surge in Pennsylvania.

My original position was(And this is easily verifiable as I've repeated it) that Democrats tend to skew younger and that younger people tend to vote less. Romney's goal in this was to discourage the base, which reduces voter turnout. He's been remarkably successful at this, so the final tally will reflect that. I suspect that Romney will win the electoral college without the popular vote because of the closeness of the election.

If voter turnout is similar to the last election, of course, I am completely wrong about the outcome. I suspect that I'm not, but it'll be interesting to see. Regardless, I think that the problems the US currently faces aren't easily addressed by the president no matter what: The escalating power of China, who has rushed to purchase US debt, the EU crisis, the aging populace, etc.

Whoever wins, I wish them luck and wisdom in governing.

Old 11-05-2012, 06:02 AM

2,654 posts, read 5,766,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
I assume after the election that the paychecks for a lot of the astroturfers will be disappearing, so you won't see them around here much anymore.
eRayP must have lost internet access or got a job because I noticed he sort of fell off sometime around the third debate.

Old 11-05-2012, 06:03 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,467,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stayinformed40 View Post
Read and weep, buddy boy!

Presidential Polls 2012: Latest Rasmussen Poll Shows Tie; Swing States Ohio, Michigan, New Hampshire Also Tied

Tied and very close. Not so good for a sitting, albeit disgusting and lame, President.

Better not be boasting yet! BO will be moving soon and will need your help.
So, what's your new screen name gonna be this time... ?

Old 11-05-2012, 06:04 AM

3,478 posts, read 7,261,329 times
If Obama wins, he may squeak out the smallest popular vote margin win of any President who was running for a second term. That would be interesting in terms of him trying to govern in this country. He won't be able to claim a 'mandate'. And if he were to lose the popular vote but win the electoral college, his second term will be scarred from the beginning.

2 weeks ago, this probably wasn't an issue so much. But after Hurricane Sandy, you have large populated areas on the East Coast (who would have voted largely for Obama) who won't go to the polls for several reasons. That could knock down the popular vote for Obama. The scenario is more likely now. Even on Nate Silver's blog, he puts a 7% chance of Romney winning the popular vote but losing the election.

By the way, many 'blue' states, including California, are considering state laws to give their electoral votes to the winner of the nationwide popular vote - in a way of avoiding amending the Constitution but working towards a 'Presidency by popular vote'. Were the Romney popular vote win to happen, I wonder if those folks will take pause.

Old 11-05-2012, 06:06 AM

4,209 posts, read 3,593,600 times
Quote:
So, what's your new screen name gonna be this time... ?
No need to change my screen name, but where are you going to go to post your crying rhetoric on why BO lost? Oh wait.....dont tell me, as I am sure it will be a site of people I have nothing in common with. But I will go ahead now and tell you, Buh Bye, and don't let the door hit ya and all that.

Old 11-05-2012, 06:42 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,467,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stayinformed40 View Post
No need to change my screen name, but where are you going to go to post your crying rhetoric on why BO lost? Oh wait.....dont tell me, as I am sure it will be a site of people I have nothing in common with. But I will go ahead now and tell you, Buh Bye, and don't let the door hit ya and all that.
Considering your very first posts here, right out the gate after your last join date were all heavy-duty, rightwing mud-slinging, I think we know what we're dealing with here. But just the same, good luck in your, um, "next life" (where you'll soon have 4 more years worth of 'reasons' for your hate)...

Old 11-05-2012, 06:43 AM

12,642 posts, read 15,612,700 times
Exclamation hmm...

Reports of Romney's loss of momentum seem to have been right on point as his numbers have continued to reverse and fall off a cliff.

Old 11-05-2012, 06:44 AM

4,209 posts, read 3,593,600 times
Quote:
Considering your very first posts, right out the gate after your last join date were all heavy-duty, rightwing mud-slinging, I think we know what we're dealing with here. But just the same, good luck in your, um, "next life" (where you will soon have 4 more years worth of 'material' for your hate)...
Keep trying to deflect, but you will face your sad truth tuesday. BO will not be re-elected and you entitlement happy, successful hating, will have to get a life.....and finally a JOB.

Old 11-05-2012, 06:50 AM

12,642 posts, read 15,612,700 times
Exclamation lol...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxjay View Post
If Obama wins, he may squeak out the smallest popular vote margin win of any President who was running for a second term. That would be interesting in terms of him trying to govern in this country. He won't be able to claim a 'mandate'. And if he were to lose the popular vote but win the electoral college, his second term will be scarred from the beginning.

2 weeks ago, this probably wasn't an issue so much. But after Hurricane Sandy, you have large populated areas on the East Coast (who would have voted largely for Obama) who won't go to the polls for several reasons. That could knock down the popular vote for Obama. The scenario is more likely now. Even on Nate Silver's blog, he puts a 7% chance of Romney winning the popular vote but losing the election.

By the way, many 'blue' states, including California, are considering state laws to give their electoral votes to the winner of the nationwide popular vote - in a way of avoiding amending the Constitution but working towards a 'Presidency by popular vote'. Were the Romney popular vote win to happen, I wonder if those folks will take pause.
Didn't Bush claim a mandate?

The winner will claim what he wants to claim.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections