Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2012, 03:25 PM

1,034 posts, read 1,249,143 times

Advertisements

Quote:
The Romney campaign is beginning to feel confident enough about North Carolina that is beginning to shift staff out of the state.
Among those are who are being posted elsewhere in the final weeks of the campaign is Robert Reid, the chief Romney spokesman in North Carolina. “With the increasingly widening polls in North Carolina, we will continue to allocate resources, including key senior staff, to other states,” said Michael Levoff, a Romney campaign spokesman.
“Our victory centers throughout the state will remain open and we expect our supporters and volunteers to remain engaged in our unprecedented get out the vote efforts through the election.'
Read more here: Romney campaign begins moving staff out of NC, confident of victory | newsobserver.com projects
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2012, 03:33 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,728,390 times
Seeing as how I live in NC and have as of the last week gotten invited to several Romney and Ryan rallies and/or fundraisers . . . the campaigning for Romney has not ceased in this state.

Anyone trying to make this into some big "assumption" on Romney's part that they don't need the vote here is silly.

The reporters need to consider that perhaps the Romney campaign has so many committed, active workers and contributors in this state that it seemed prudent to move the campaign workers to states where the local support is not as strong.

Media spin . . . you gotta love it.

Old 10-18-2012, 03:35 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,724,707 times
And once again, the right leaner speaks the truth whilst the left leaner spews and gurgles.

Thank you, ani.

Old 10-18-2012, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
And once again, the right leaner speaks the truth whilst the left leaner spews and gurgles.

Thank you, ani.
YVW, Dale.

It is just that I live here . . . I know what the situation is.

NC is anybody's call and we all know it.

However, the grassroots support has been wonderful and folks are energized and out there working - on phones, handing out literature, drumming up support and contributions.

There is no need for hand-holding in my area of the state. But that doesn't mean anyone is taking anything for granted. That would be beyond foolish, indeed.

Old 10-18-2012, 03:47 PM

1,034 posts, read 1,249,143 times
Well they obviously aren't going to completely leave the state but focus is being shifted to Ohio. It sounds like both campaigns will be shifting more attention elsewhere.

Old 10-18-2012, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FargoBison View Post
Well they obviously aren't going to completely leave the state but focus is being shifted to Ohio. It sounds like both campaigns will be shifting more attention elsewhere.
Yes, that has been the general consensus.

I don't think either the Obama campaign or the Romney campaign are feeling confident about NC. They both are going to SAY they are, but as a native of this state and someone who has been involved in politics for decades . . . the political climate here right now . . . no way I would predict which way this state will go.

Most folks don't realize that NC has a majority of registered DEM voters. But this state is known for split tickets and for voting across party lines for President.

Just no way to predict this one . . .

Old 10-18-2012, 04:00 PM

2,603 posts, read 5,041,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Seeing as how I live in NC and have as of the last week gotten invited to several Romney and Ryan rallies and/or fundraisers . . . the campaigning for Romney has not ceased in this state.

Anyone trying to make this into some big "assumption" on Romney's part that they don't need the vote here is silly.

The reporters need to consider that perhaps the Romney campaign has so many committed, active workers and contributors in this state that it seemed prudent to move the campaign workers to states where the local support is not as strong.

Media spin . . . you gotta love it.
Um. What? The Romney campaign said they're pulling their big dogs out of the state because the polls are widening. It was the spokesman's words. How you see media spin in this is mind-boggling. Unbelievable!

Ohio is the only state that really matters here. Romney has to win it (and all the other potential swing states) to take the electoral college. Obama has to win Ohio only if he loses all of the other swing states.

Old 10-18-2012, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coped View Post
Um. What? The Romney campaign said they're pulling their big dogs out of the state because the polls are widening. It was the spokesman's words. How you see media spin in this is mind-boggling. Unbelievable!

Ohio is the only state that really matters here. Romney has to win it (and all the other potential swing states) to take the electoral college. Obama has to win Ohio only if he loses all of the other swing states.
No, they did not say they were confident of winning this state and so therefore were kissing it goodbye.

The reporter made that assertion.

The campaign workers are going where they feel they need to get more feet on the ground. NC supporters have the state covered -- and don't need the hand holding.

But hey if it makes you feel good to think Romney has the state sown up, sobeit. I myself am not placing any bets, lol.

Old 10-18-2012, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Yes, that has been the general consensus.

I don't think either the Obama campaign or the Romney campaign are feeling confident about NC. They both are going to SAY they are, but as a native of this state and someone who has been involved in politics for decades . . . the political climate here right now . . . no way I would predict which way this state will go.

Most folks don't realize that NC has a majority of registered DEM voters. But this state is known for split tickets and for voting across party lines for President.

Just no way to predict this one . . .
I wish I could agree with you. I do agree that Obama's strong showing in the second debate (as well as Romney's unraveling) might change things. But the tiny margin of victory in 2008 (the only time since 1976 that the state has gone blue) and the bad feelings toward Gov. Purdue do not auger well for the Democrats this round. That said, demographic changes are going to make the Republican Party obsolete by 2020. They will go the way of the Whigs without some fundamental changes.

Old 10-18-2012, 04:05 PM

Quote:
No, they did not say they were confident of winning this state and so therefore were kissing it goodbye.

The reporter made that assertion.

The campaign workers are going where they feel they need to get more feet on the ground. NC supporters have the state covered -- and don't need the hand holding.

But hey if it makes you feel good to think Romney has the state sown up, sobeit. I myself am not placing any bets, lol.
"With the increasingly widening polls in North Carolina, we will continue to allocate resources, including key senior staff, to other states,” said Michael Levoff, a Romney campaign spokesman.

That is a confident statement. It shows confidence in Romney winning the state. The reporter (or more likely copy editor who wrote the headline) was entirely accurate in that characterization. I am just sick and tired of the media bashing for absurd semantics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections