Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2012, 07:44 AM

1,422 posts, read 2,303,459 times

Advertisements

I thought they were both pretty funny although I think while arguing "which candidate was funniest" some posters seem to forget that the jokes are written FOR them and not BY them

That said, they both had some great lines and both delivered them well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2012, 07:48 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,451,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by London Girl View Post
I thought they were both pretty funny although I think while arguing "which candidate was funniest" some posters seem to forget that the jokes are written FOR them and not BY them

That said, they both had some great lines and both delivered them well.
I agree

Old 10-19-2012, 07:49 AM

12,642 posts, read 15,597,739 times
Romney was actually doing ok and was pretty funny until he started the whining section in the second half...

Old 10-19-2012, 07:53 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Tiger View Post
At the Alfred E. SMith dinner for charity, Romeny was hilarious and Obama was also very funny.

Romney Addresses 67th Annual Alfred E. Smith Memorial Foundation Dinner | RealClearPolitics

Hear are a few punch lines but you will need to watch the video for the set ups. Romey's timing was brilliant.

Romney: I was hoping that President Obama would bring Joe Biden along, because he'll laugh at anything.

Romney: We were chatting pleasantly this evening as if Tuesday didn't happen.

Romney: Usually when I get invited to gatherings like this, it's just to be the designated driver.

Romney: We're down to the final months of the president's term.

Romney: I have my beautiful wife Ann, he has Bill Clinton.

Romney, referring to St. Peter, says skeptics will say "if you've got a Church, you didn't build that."

Romney says Obama's new campaign slogan is "you're better off than you were four weeks ago."

Romney: The president's remarks tonight are brought to you by the letter O and the number 16 trillion.
it is funny you would say this: I had exactly the same reaction. Hubby was watching a TV program he watches every Thursday so he didn't see it. This morning I was telling him exactly what you are saying, I thought they were both good, but Romney was even funnier...it was a nice break from the "I know more than you" campaign and the constant blasting each other...

Nita

Old 10-19-2012, 07:53 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,669,981 times
There's already a thread about this topic here:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/polit...er-romney.html

Romney: 10
0bama: 4

Old 10-19-2012, 07:59 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
Did you watch the Al Smith dinner? Almost all of Obama's jokes are about himself and there are a fair amount about his first debate performance. It doesn't matter though, Obama will win.
OH for Gosh sake, stop showing your leftest side and take everything for what is was: it was a night for the two candidtes to relax, escape from the campaign and enjoy a few laughts. Both were funny, had good writers and did a good job...Romney was a little funnier, but overall they each had some good lines. yes, Obama did make some funny referances to the first debate and Romney made his funnies about not drinking as well as a few other things. Both got their share of laughs...good for them, can we keep politics out of this, just for once? That goes for both sides I will add.

Nita

Old 10-19-2012, 08:07 AM

12,642 posts, read 15,597,739 times
Romney's whining about the Press began to ruin his momentum.

Old 10-19-2012, 08:11 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,947,200 times
Romney sounded narcissistic and whiny -- everything was about him -- how the press is against him. He wasn't really funny.

Obama was self-deprecating and was funny.

Romney reminds me of the boss who tells a bad joke and you have to laugh because he's the boss.

Old 10-19-2012, 08:55 AM

3,179 posts, read 3,165,647 times
Romney was fantastic! First of all, I loved the self-deprecating line about campaign wardrobe changes and finally he and Ann can wear what they wear around the house. That man knows how to wear a white tie tuxedo, WOW did he look good! His timing was spot on and the jokes were VERY edgy, I thought .... there was a shot of Obama looking none too happy after one of them. I bet Dennis Miller did help him write that because the St. Paul's church line about he didn't build that, was pure Miller.
Calling out the headline "Catholics embrace Obama, Romney dines with rich people" was brilliant. His dig at the MSM, brilliant but not nasty. Ann looked absolutely stunning, so the line about the "strong shoulder to lean on" and Obama's strong shoulder being Bill Clinton - that was definitely a Miller line too and PERFECTLY delivered. And of course the "Biden laughs at anything" line was great. And redistributing the wealth at the Waldorf, now that was bold!

Obama dwelled for too long on his poor 1st debate performance. When he spoke of the swing states and said, "What are we even doing here?" it felt like he really felt like, "What am I doing here?" It was a CHARITY dinner, Barack. And who said you can't use your middle name Hussein, Barry? You could use it. 1st Amendment, please do. His delivery was flat. The line about Bloomberg not allowing him more than 16 ounces was the only one that gave me a good chuckle.

If I had to grade the performances I'd give Romney an A+ and Obama a B-.

Old 10-19-2012, 09:01 AM

3,179 posts, read 3,165,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
Romney sounded narcissistic and whiny -- everything was about him --.
You Lefties better get on the same page. Your comrade Randomstudent said:

Quote:
Almost all of Romney's jokes as you point out were about Obama.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections