Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2012, 12:57 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,417,726 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
There is truth to your comment and why I think Romney way is correct. He is right to take away deductions that are only available to the rich and move the marginal rates lower. It is too hard as a middle class person to take advantage of the tax code. By moving the marginal rates lower you won't have to fancy foot investing to pay less in taxes.
I have to say I don't think that is possible. I also think that based on the parts of the Romney plan taxes would go down on the wealthy greatly. Basically, the 800 pound gorilla in the room to anyone who has studied tax would be Romney's promise to eliminate the estate tax. Basically because of how the estate tax works and the unified credit that would be a massive tax break for the extremely wealthy. There is also the fact that I have read through the deductions and there is not much there if you know how above the line vs. below the line vs misc itemized works. In the 1986 rewrite of the tax code Ronald Reagan and the Democrats did basically what Romney says he wants to do (Though that really increased the deficit), with that said during that period they got most of the low hanging fruit in terms of deductions. As such Romney would have to start going after stuff like the child tax credit, the earned income tax credit, the charitable tax credit, and the home mortgage deduction to make what he wants to do work without adding to the deficit. If he does that he is going to get middle and lower income people.

As to me, I might pay a little less in earned income, but my dividends will still be at the problematic Bush rates which means the debt will soar. I honestly don't mind paying more on my dividends if it means I can pay less on my earned income, but right now the two rates are completely out of whack and when you factor in payroll taxes it gets worse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2012, 01:03 PM

3,078 posts, read 4,385,497 times
I thought both of them were funny and did a good job.

Shouldn't we step back and realize how lucky we are that we live in a country where rival politicians can joke around like that at the same gathering?

Old 10-19-2012, 01:05 PM

3,179 posts, read 3,175,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
Cant' we even have a little honesty on a topic like humor? Both guys deserved an A- on their deliveries and ability to take a joke poked at them. Neither one is a professional comic but they both looked pretty natural and at ease up there. If there is any criticism at all to make it's that the joke writers didn't 100% follow the historical format of the event of only writing self-defecating jokes for their candidate. Obama's writers would get a B+ on that aspect and Mitt's would get C+. I think the score was 3 to 11 pokes taken at the other guy instead of themselves.
ROTFLMAO! No, sorry, only Obama is self-defecating ...............OMG, ROTFLMAO ............oh that is so funny................I'm crying for the future of the English language under Liberals ............

Old 10-19-2012, 01:06 PM

41,109 posts, read 25,818,821 times
You are using fear mongering with statement like going after child credit. There is too much on the upper end to go after and exactly why the rich are rich. There are not many on the lower end. If we have to go after child credit then lord help us all.

Obama is running on "increase taxes"
Romney is running on "lowering taxes"

Anytime you give the government the ok to increase taxes they will always want more. Look at California. It is "never" enough.
If you are not effected the 1st round of higher taxes, hold on to your wallet, you are next. The man in power has not learned how to reduce spending or balance a budget. Why should he because he can always ask for just a little bit more.

Obama's tax plan only serves an emotional need for the left to go after the rich but in reality it will hurt the middle class. That is a guarantee. I do wonder if Obama is really after increasing taxes on everyone because he says he will veto the bill as I say below.

Obama does not talk about lowering taxes for anyone but is threatening to veto the Bush tax cuts if he doesn't get his way. If Obama does veto the bill he will be increasing taxes on everyone. Even those people who don't pay taxes can be moved into taxable income levels. He of course will blame it on the republicans but republicans know that if Obama gets his way instead of paying employees higher wages or hiring they instead will have to pay the government, essentially hurting the middle class.

Old 10-19-2012, 01:08 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,710,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walidm View Post
Didn't Dennis Miller write Romney's jokes for him?
Someone questioned that in the other thread. Now you're spreading it like it's true. Do you have some kind of proof, or is that just one of the left's MOs to read a question on a forum and then spread it around like gospel truth?

Old 10-19-2012, 01:10 PM

3,179 posts, read 3,175,250 times
What would be wrong with Dennis Miller writing Romney's jokes? They were slammin!

Old 10-19-2012, 01:11 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,710,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
Cant' we even have a little honesty on a topic like humor? Both guys deserved an A- on their deliveries and ability to take a joke poked at them. Neither one is a professional comic but they both looked pretty natural and at ease up there. If there is any criticism at all to make it's that the joke writers didn't 100% follow the historical format of the event of only writing self-defecating jokes for their candidate. Obama's writers would get a B+ on that aspect and Mitt's would get C+. I think the score was 3 to 11 pokes taken at the other guy instead of themselves.
OK, then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObserverNY View Post
What would be wrong with Dennis Miller writing Romney's jokes? They were slammin!
Dennis did say on O'Reilly the other night that he is now working full time on Romney's campaign. I think it would be great to see Dennis's humor reflected in Romney's persona.

What I take exception with is someone posing a question and then seeing someone else run with it like they're making a grand announcement. It's par for the course with some folks, I guess. Romney needs someone alive and breathing to help him. D'Man would be the person for the job.

Old 10-19-2012, 01:54 PM

41,109 posts, read 25,818,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
Romney needs someone alive and breathing to help him. D'Man would be the person for the job.
And Obama needs the entire left wing media.

Old 11-02-2012, 06:12 PM

Location: :0)1 CORINTHIANS,13*"KYRIE, ELEISON"*"CHRISTE ELEISON"
3,078 posts, read 6,217,302 times
Arrow Mr Mitt Romney. Hilarious, funny, regardless of your party, this is a MUST SEE!

Hilarious and Brutal: Romney kills at the annual Alfred E. Smith Dinner » The Right Scoop -

Some humor to relief some of the sadness, stress of late.... A short video is included!

Most people do not realize that Mr. Romney can be really funny! Enjoy!

Tonight was the annual Alfred E. Smith Dinner where the candidates take a humorous break from the campaign trail. But I gotta say, I was pleasantly surprised at how funny Romney was as he delivered line after line, mostly about the president. In fact he landed some pretty hard blows on the president, namely one where in using the Sesame Street reference he said that President Obama’s remarks “are brought to you by the letter O and the number 16 Trillion.” Ouch! And there’s a lot more where that came from.

My bet is that even though it was all in good fun, the left is going to hate it and will try and make something out of it. Maybe they’ll put all the jokes the didn’t like in a binder or something

Last edited by countrylv22; 11-02-2012 at 06:13 PM.. Reason: You have to admit, he is super funny!!!A video is included!!!

Old 11-02-2012, 06:18 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,625,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countrylv22 View Post
Tonight was the annual Alfred E. Smith Dinner where the candidates take a humorous break from the campaign trail.
Ah, the informed Romney worshipper. That dinner was almost two weeks ago.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/elect...od-dinner.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections