Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2012, 01:45 PM

5,787 posts, read 4,717,580 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
What makes you think that everything in Romney's 401k is his own anyway. Many companies provide "matches" to 401k program's, my own company matches as well.

Obama has never held a job where there were any matching funds.

And corporate matching funds are often a perk or part of your salary.

The DIFFERENCE is that ALL of Romney's retirement came from PRIVATE and NOT PUBLIC sources.

Obama's has all come from PUBLIC sources.

I don't care personally where Obama's came from, how large it is, or where it's invested.

I'm not the HYPOCRITE attacking anyone....Obama is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2012, 01:57 PM

4,160 posts, read 5,622,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMUAlum08 View Post
wrong. a 401k is still categorized as a pension, just a different kind called a defined contribution plan.

defined benefit plans are going the way of the dinosaur except in a select few industries

Pension is generally thought of as a defined benefit plan. This plan is entirely funded by the employer. How much is funded on an annual basis is dependent upon actuarial calculations. The employee receives a set amount per month upon retirement. If the trust has enough money to pay that set amount per month then the employer is not required to make a contribution for that year. If the trust looks to be short then an additional contribution may be required. Since the employer is the only one allowed to make a contribution and the payment amount is defined...the entire risk lies on the employer.

I used to assist actuarials in calculations of pension plans.

People would kill for a Pension plan...

Employers may match 401K's but it's peanuts compared to a pension plan, also a lot of employers changed their 401k to have "discretionary matching" which means...no match.

Old 10-19-2012, 01:59 PM

2,986 posts, read 4,578,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnvrsoul View Post
Pension is generally thought of as a defined benefit plan. This plan is entirely funded by the employer. How much is funded on an annual basis is dependent upon actuarial calculations. The employee receives a set amount per month upon retirement. If the trust has enough money to pay that set amount per month then the employer is not required to make a contribution for that year. If the trust looks to be short then an additional contribution may be required. Since the employer is the only one allowed to make a contribution and the payment amount is defined...the entire risk lies on the employer.

Employers may match 401K's but it's peanuts compared to a pension plan, also a lot of employers changed their 401k to have "discretionary matching" which means...no match.
yes pension plans are traditionally thought of as defined benefit plans but that doesn't change the fact that a defined contribution plans are still technically classified as a pension plans as well.

Old 10-19-2012, 02:07 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,676,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnvrsoul View Post

I have a pension. I didn't kill anyone for it. It's money belonging entirely to the company I worked for. No public funds, no government funds, no matching funds. Just private money given to me in monthly payments based on years of service.

THAT is the definition of 'pension'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections