Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2012, 08:09 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,174,590 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Actually, the rumor was that ROMNEY was pulling out of NC, but according to the Huppo, he says that's untrue. See how this works? It's like the old game of "Telephone" or "Gossip".
Romney did move people out of NC, just not all of them obviously. I work with them daily in Ohio.

Rumor and fact are not the same, and I NEVER equate one with the other. The fact that so many liberals cant comprehend the difference, isnt surprising to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2012, 09:44 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,223,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Romney did move people out of NC, just not all of them obviously. I work with them daily in Ohio.

Rumor and fact are not the same, and I NEVER equate one with the other. The fact that so many liberals cant comprehend the difference, isnt surprising to me.
You're just hurt that I called you out on it instead of the typical list of Cons just going along with you say as truth.

Old 10-21-2012, 09:55 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,148,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
I know several Republicans who are voting for Obama because they don't trust Romney. I think Romney would have been better off by never saying anything and just not showing up for the debates.

His chances of winning would have gone up exponentially. Unfortunately, he likes to talk, and when he talks he lies and when he lies people don't believe him and when people don't believe him they don't vote for him and when they don't vote for him Obama wins.
You obviously live in an alternate reality. There's not a respected political analyst in that nation proclaiming what you are proclaiming here. In case you haven't noticed, Mitt Romney is at least tied, if not besting Barack Obama in most polls being put forth.

Step back into reality for a moment and you might find that your post borders on absurdity.

Old 10-21-2012, 09:57 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,148,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
Except in one key variable.

Black voters

This point 2008 79,835
This point in 2012 111,781

Overall they have gone from being 27% to about 28.8% of all voters.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
It certainly appears that Obama's ground game is going well in NC. There are nearly as many blacks who have voted as Republicans! Obama would win by a landslide it the election were stopped now. Keep it up NC!

My guess is that you're not even old enough to have voted for Bill Clinton, or you're a newcomer to political analysis. Black voters are a KNOWN EARLY VOTING BLOC. This is NOTHING new. It has been this way since early voting has been permitted. Please, educate yourself.

Old 10-21-2012, 10:00 AM

9,984 posts, read 10,402,787 times
New numbers from North Carolina suggest that around 70,000 more people voted on Saturday which seems to be 29,000 higher then voted on the first Saturday of 2008 and makes for over 450,000 people voting so far. Once more that number could grow as some counties occasionally experience delays in reporting statistics to the state board of elections. Over all it looks as though Democrats continue to improve % wise as they are now over 50% of the vote and African Americans make up an increasingly larger % of voters and acount for almost 3% more of the vote then they did in early voting in 2008, I will try and post the party break down by #s when I have the info.

United States Elections Project
http://www.carolinatransparency.com/...te/1224313200/

Last edited by Randomstudent; 10-21-2012 at 10:17 AM..

Old 10-21-2012, 11:10 AM

The Party totals have come in including Saturday's vote.

Democrats 230,017
Republican 143,014
Other/unaffiliatied 84,800.

2012 General Election | NC Vote Tracker

Old 10-21-2012, 11:15 AM

12,638 posts, read 8,968,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
The Party totals have come in including Saturday's vote.

Democrats 230,017
Republican 143,014
Other/unaffiliatied 84,800.

2012 General Election | NC Vote Tracker
Romney has won North Carolina.

Old 10-21-2012, 12:24 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,478,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace21230 View Post
Romney has won North Carolina.
I would say there's at least an 90% chance he has. Saying that Obama has the edge in NC is laughable when he's down 6 there when you average the recent polls, especially given that undecideds are more likely to break for challengers than incumbents (and, yes, they are when looking at October polling). I do admire Obama supporters for feeling so optimistic about their candidate's chances but, really, saying he has the edge in NC at this point is hilarious. It's more preposterous than me saying Romney has the edge in PA and MI, given that Obama has a smaller lead in those states than Romney does in NC and especially when considering that undecideds are more likely to break for challengers.

The other thing to point out...in 2008, more than 50% of all early voters in the state were registered Democrats and, even if the early voting figures by party look like 2008, remember that Obama has lost support among most if not all groups since then so the Democratic advantage in early voting would need to be greater than in 2008 to look good for Obama.

As far as the black voters, turnout among black voters in NC in 2008 was 76%. Even if more of them are voting early this year than in 2008, there's not much room for improvement on that and less of them will vote later in the early voting period and on Election Day.

Last edited by afoigrokerkok; 10-21-2012 at 12:37 PM..

Old 10-21-2012, 12:40 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,478,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
You basically summed up why we have early voting, to make voting easier for people, which is the point.

I lived in a state that everyone voted by mail-in ballot, which allowed my to review everything on the ballot and make the best choices I could without ever feeling rushed. I personally think every state should be doing that instead.
I think having everyone vote by mail as Oregon and Washington do is a bad idea for the same reason I'm against early voting in general (in addition to concerns over voter fraud), but that's just my opinion.

I think everyone should have to vote on Election Day, but the polls should open at like 5 in the morning and close at midnight.

I also think you should be able to vote anywhere in your county or, hell, even anywhere in your state and with electronic voting I don't see why this would be a problem.

I think if someone is going to be out of the state on Election Day, then they should be able to request an absentee ballot. If someone has to go out of the state at the last minute or something, maybe they should be able to get one online, print it, and provide proof that they had to leave the state.

Old 10-21-2012, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
I think having everyone vote by mail as Oregon and Washington do is a bad idea for the same reason I'm against early voting in general (in addition to concerns over voter fraud), but that's just my opinion.

I think everyone should have to vote on Election Day, but the polls should open at like 5 in the morning and close at midnight.

I also think you should be able to vote anywhere in your county or, hell, even anywhere in your state and with electronic voting I don't see why this would be a problem.

I think if someone is going to be out of the state on Election Day, then they should be able to request an absentee ballot. If someone has to go out of the state at the last minute or something, maybe they should be able to get one online, print it, and provide proof that they had to leave the state.
Just saying that would be a terrible idea and this is part of why I 100% support vote by mail and early voting. Basically if you look at one North Carolina county, Wake, there are over 100 different ballot types. This is because people live in different state senate, state house, town, congressional, and municipal districts, not to mention there are split precincts etc. It would be extraordinarily difficult to make sure everyone gets the right ballot if they could vote anywhere in the state, there would likely be so much confusion it would make voting impossibly complex.

Then you have the time concerns If you are going to do this all on one day and have the poor elections people trying deal with that sort of crush while trying to figure out which of the 1,000s of different ballots ballots they are going to give you access to would make voting a horrible experience for everyone involved and human error would probably do more damage to the integrity of the election system then fraud ever could. I much prefer a system where voting is spread out over a period of days for crowd control purposes, or better yet having a mail in election where the board of elections has plenty of time to make sure everyone has the right ballot and people have plenty of time to decide on what they like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections