Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2012, 02:52 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,220,208 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
This is about facts. The fiction being put forth by the OP that early voting is a positive indicator of voter enthusiasm is something that needs to be challenged.

I'll say it again: Early voting means nothing. There are a million reasons why a person could choose to vote early. Enthusiasm is a valid reason......and so is someone's work schedule....someone's school schedule.....a planned vacation.........soccer practice.......choir practice.....someone's favorite TV show falling on a Tuesday, etc. You name it, and there's a reason for voting early.

Stop the ignorance and see early voting for what it really represents.
Actually I think it is a good sign that shows people care about voting, and hopefully this will lead to a high voter turnout, no matter how much you hope people don't show up to the polls to vote cause that is the only way Romney could win this if people are less enthusiast to vote.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2012, 03:21 PM

235 posts, read 276,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
Blacks are more motivated to vote as well. In 2008, 46,490 black people voted on the first day. In 2012, 60,331 black people voted early on the first day. This indicates that African-American turnout could be higher in NC this time around. Black turnout could overcome that margin.
Quote:
Black voter enthusiasm is down relative to 2008. You can blather all you want about early voting. It means nothing. And it's even less relevant when consideration is given to the FACT that voter enthusiasm is down among ALL of Obama's base consitituent groups.
Quote:
This is about facts. The fiction being put forth by the OP that early voting is a positive indicator of voter enthusiasm is something that needs to be challenged.

I'll say it again: Early voting means nothing. There are a million reasons why a person could choose to vote early. Enthusiasm is a valid reason......and so is someone's work schedule....someone's school schedule.....a planned vacation.........soccer practice.......choir practice.....someone's favorite TV show falling on a Tuesday, etc. You name it, and there's a reason for voting early.

I agree with the notion of multiple reasons for early voting.
Myself, my DW and my mom all voted early as we are Out of USA for vacation.

But increase in early voting numbers surely PROVES VOTER ENTHUSIASM and IMPORTANCE of this election.

Old 10-19-2012, 04:25 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,213,988 times
The early voting data that shows a lead for D's is interesting, because the Romney campaign is pulling all but a skeletal staff out of the state. Romney is going to need NC to win, so if their internal polling looked bad, they wouldn't be cutting in NC. Based on that, I'm thinking that they're pretty confident they're going to carry it. Obama doesn't need to carry NC.

Old 10-19-2012, 05:08 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,436,658 times
Quote:
I read a statistic today that backs up my assertion in my earlier post above: In 2008, something along the lines of 335K early votes were cast in North Carolina for Barack Obama in 2008, but he only won the state by 14,000 votes. This demonstrates precisely that Democrats' simply wanted to vote early, not that Barack Obama was destined to blowing out McCain....which he clearly didn't.

I'm not convinced that early voting is an indicator of anything other than people want to vote early.
Good point and James Carville makes the same point. Who is to say the people early voting would not have voted on Election Day?

Old 10-19-2012, 05:11 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,436,658 times
Quote:
Well well well. Vote tracker is showing some interesting results. Democrats are leading among early voting in NC. The majority of those votes are from women too. That could indicate that the abortion debate is gaining some traction among women.

2012 General Election | NC Vote Tracker

Democrat 105,659

Republican 77,677

I don't see the GOP enthusiasm based on today's results.
They're counting votes in NC now isn't that illegal? Also be careful assuming a Dem in NC is voting for a Dem. Dems have had a registration advantage in the state for decades.

Old 10-19-2012, 05:25 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,134,380 times
Quote:
In 2004 democrats were more enthusiastic than republicans but John Kerry still lost. The democrats had a bad candidate just like the democrats have a bad candidate today.
Fixed it for you. There's no way on earth you could actually believe that Obama is a better candidate to get the economy in order than Romney.

You do know that he has a record to examine now, right? He can't run on "hope and change" anymore. He's got a record, and it's absolutely terrible. Romney, on the other hand, has a history of financial success and a proven ability to diagnose fiscal problems and fix them.

Have you noticed that Obama's entire campaign has been about disqualifying Romney? Most incumbents trumpet their successes. Obama hasn't been doing that, because he can't. The only thing he can point to is Obamacare, and the majority of people in the country want it repealed. REPEALED. Not modified, REPEALED.

Obama had his chance. He blew it. Sorry, but that's the simple reality. The idealists had their chance. Now it's time for people rooted in reality to take over and repair the damage that's been done.

Old 10-19-2012, 06:44 PM

16,760 posts, read 8,228,532 times
I voted yesterday in Salisbury. The Dems did a good job getting people to the poles. Mr Steal your Pension and load you with debt Romney and his people pulled out of NC . All Dems need to remember which party got us into this mess.

On the Ed Show an example of the economy under Mr Steal your pension and load you with debt Romney is being shown.
The People of NC saw this while GWB was Pres. as mills that made clothes and furniture closed. Do not be surprized on Nov. 6

Old 10-19-2012, 06:56 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,402,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
I voted yesterday in Salisbury. The Dems did a good job getting people to the poles. Mr Steal your Pension and load you with debt Romney and his people pulled out of NC . All Dems need to remember which party got us into this mess.

On the Ed Show an example of the economy under Mr Steal your pension and load you with debt Romney is being shown.
The People of NC saw this while GWB was Pres. as mills that made clothes and furniture closed. Do not be surprized on Nov. 6
I also voted yesterday, I was very confused when Romney pulled his people out. I figure he must be desperately trying for Ohio because he cannot win without it. So far early voting seems to be good. I suspect the Democratic advantage will grow with each passing day of early voting. So far it looks like the Obama ground game is working.

Old 10-19-2012, 07:21 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,213,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
I also voted yesterday, I was very confused when Romney pulled his people out. I figure he must be desperately trying for Ohio because he cannot win without it. So far early voting seems to be good. I suspect the Democratic advantage will grow with each passing day of early voting. So far it looks like the Obama ground game is working.
It will be interesting if you're right, because Obama only won NC by .3% in 2008. I don't know if you have other polls available to you locally that aren't on RCP, but the average there is Romney up 5.6% with Rasmussen having him up by 6% and PPP by 2%. If you think Romney is giving up on NC, it would mean that all the public polls are wrong and they (the Romney campaign) know something different based on their own internal polling. That's why I think it's more likely that they think they have it in the bag, and they're moving resources elsewhere across the country because they have to pick up so many states to even have a shot at winning. Personally, I'm not worried about how NC goes--Wisconsin, Iowa, and Ohio are the ones that Obama has to win.

RealClearPolitics - Election 2012 - North Carolina: Romney vs. Obama

Old 10-19-2012, 08:05 PM

3,079 posts, read 3,124,736 times
Quote:

I'm voting early because I'm excited to re-elect Pres. Obama. It has everything to do with my level of enthusiasm!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections