Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2012, 08:41 AM

9,984 posts, read 10,402,013 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
I was unaware that a black vote counted more than a white one..
They don't, IDK if you have noticed, but all throughout this forum for the past two years people have been saying that African Americans will not turn out in 2012 like they did in 2008 because the novelty of a black president has worn off, as if that is all African American voters care about, we are seeing that that is not the case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2012, 08:46 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,169,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
They don't, IDK if you have noticed, but all throughout this forum for the past two years people have been saying that African Americans will not turn out in 2012 like they did in 2008 because the novelty of a black president has worn off, as if that is all African American voters care about, we are seeing that that is not the case.
But according to your own argument,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
Turnout is higher among Democrats it is also higher among Republicans. What many election experts and news casters seem to be saying is that this suggests that there will be less voting as a % on election day. Which means that if Democrats can keep their vote advantage relatively strong in early voting there will be less on election day to offset it.
I guess this means less blacks will be voting on election day... right?

The increase in voter turnout for Democrats is 6% lower this year, than it was 4 years ago. If now the argument that this simply means less people will be voting on election day, (and I agree), then your own argument also disputes the OP's claim that this is very good news for Obama.

I know Obama pushed the early voting hard, and considering the numbers for him arent up as much as Republican and Independents, its not good news at all in NC for Obama, especially considering he won the state by I think only 14,000 votes. (If I recall, this mght be wrong, doing it by memory)

Old 10-20-2012, 08:53 AM

39,093 posts, read 51,283,353 times
It certainly appears that Obama's ground game is going well in NC. There are nearly as many blacks who have voted as Republicans! Obama would win by a landslide it the election were stopped now. Keep it up NC!

Old 10-20-2012, 08:58 AM

9,984 posts, read 10,402,013 times
Quote:

I guess this means less blacks will be voting on election day... right?

The increase in voter turnout for Democrats is 6% lower this year, than it was 4 years ago. If now the argument that this simply means less people will be voting on election day, (and I agree), then your own argument also disputes the OP's claim that this is very good news for Obama.

I know Obama pushed the early voting hard, and considering the numbers for him arent up as much as Republican and Independents, its not good news at all in NC for Obama, especially considering he won the state by I think only 14,000 votes. (If I recall, this mght be wrong, doing it by memory)
Not necessarily. First off we know that in raw numbers and as a percentage % black voters are increased in early voting at this point relative to 2008.

We also seem to agree that as a % of early votes this year are likely to be greater then the % of early votes in 2008. With that said NC is a very fast growing state and African Americans have been growing at a rate faster then the state overall (in part due to reverse migration trend which has existed for a while, but that is a for another thread) if we believe the 2010 census. Additionally if look at the voter registration changes since Jan 2008 you will note that Black voter registration makes up more then 1/3 of the total registrations in that period. Thus it would not surprise me if we saw a numerically similar or higher rate of black turnout on election day.

2010 Census Data - 2010 Census
Voter Registration Changes | Carolina Transparency

Old 10-20-2012, 09:07 AM

13,721 posts, read 19,279,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
It certainly appears that Obama's ground game is going well in NC. There are nearly as many blacks who have voted as Republicans! Obama would win by a landslide it the election were stopped now. Keep it up NC!

"nearly as many blacks who have voted as Republicans" - do you realize how stupid and racist that sounds?

Old 10-20-2012, 09:10 AM

39,093 posts, read 51,283,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
"nearly as many blacks who have voted as Republicans" - do you realize how stupid and racist that sounds?
No. Please spare me the false sense of outrage. It's just a fact. It is relevant because we all know that the AA vote is likely to favor Obama by 95:5 or better.

Old 10-20-2012, 09:20 AM

4,003 posts, read 10,847,450 times
NC will not go for Obama this time around. I would recommend applying your hope elsewhere.

Old 10-20-2012, 09:24 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,220,208 times
Quote:
Compare that to 4 years ago

Democrats 2008 159,997
Democrats 2012 191,417

Republicans 2008 87,031
Republicans 2012 125,350

Independents 2008 48,358
Independents 2012 70,306

Democrats up 19%
Republicans up 44%
Independents up 45%

Anyone who thinks the polls using 2008 rations are accurate or anyone who thinks the Democrats are just as motivated as Republicans is just kidding themself.. This would go for the OP...
That is good news, I love seeing more people coming out to the polls to vote. Regardless of who gets MC, I hope they break their own voter records.

Old 10-20-2012, 12:51 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,539,723 times
Ummmm. . . I am here in NC . . . and I would remind you . . . OF COURSE more DEMS have turned out than Republicans. MORE DEMS ARE REGISTERED IN THIS STATE. Also, folks have left both parties prior to this election cycle and changed their registration to UNAFFILIATED.

Historically, NC has swung Republican only when DEMs have voted across the aisle and when Unaffiliated voters have voted with them.

Republicans and Unaffiliated voters together (if all voted the same) could trump a Democrat vote in NC, but that is the only way it could happen (if all DEMs voted straight party line).

Early voting - by looking at party affiliation - is not only a lousy way to determine outcome, in a state such as NC . . . it is downright silly.

Old 10-20-2012, 01:43 PM

27,217 posts, read 46,787,895 times
Early voting could also mean they are so sure that Obama needs to go!!!!

We will know next month and let's hope people vote smart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections