Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2012, 11:31 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,220,208 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Very, very, very little would make me change my mind. And, yes, I take advantage of early voting since it is offered and I find it more convenient.

However, an election should be about how people feel on the day of the election, not the month before.
So what about people like you who are confident on your choice and don't need to wait till the election to vote? Why does it matter so much to vote only on one day?

I am really confused with your position, you sound like you are voting early because you are set with who you want and it is more convenient, yet people (including you) shouldn't be allowed to vote early or enjoy the convenience of voting early because people should make the choice based off how they are feeling on election day?

None of that makes one bit of sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2012, 11:33 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,875,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Win or lose, I am happy people are voting and exercising their right to vote. I say the more people who vote the better.
Me, too!

Quote:
Yeah, I am starting to think this as well. In fact, I think voting shouldn't be allowed until Election Day. I support making it easier to vote, but I don't think pushing voting back so early is the way to do it.

Regardless, I almost always vote early and am voting this year on Monday - the day that early voting begins in TX. LOL... That being said, I really think everyone probably *should* be voting on Election Day.
Quote:
Why are you voting early then?
Quote:
Because it's more convenient, I want to get it over with, and I am not undecided.

I almost always vote early anyway. Not usually on the first day, but I am very excited about voting this year.

This being said, people should be voting based on what happens all the way up until Election Day. Anything can happen or come out in the days or weeks before an election. Early voting certainly should not begin months before an election.
That is the point of early voting, to make it convenient. I have a job that has no specific end time. There have been days when I probably could not have voted if I had said, "I'll go after work". I don't know if the debates should be the driver. None of the debates so far have changed my mind, though they have been entertaining.

Quote:
Very, very, very little would make me change my mind. And, yes, I take advantage of early voting since it is offered and I find it more convenient.

However, an election should be about how people feel on the day of the election, not the month before.
I think most early voting just started this week, with about 3 weeks to go in a campaign that has already been too long. What about the overseas military who may not get to see the debates no matter? Should they not be allowed to vote?

Old 10-20-2012, 11:33 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,478,082 times
Quote:
So what about people like you who are confident on your choice and don't need to wait till the election to vote? Why does it matter so much to vote only on one day?

I am really confused with your position, you sound like you are voting early because you are set with who you want and it is more convenient, yet people (including you) shouldn't be allowed to vote early or enjoy the convenience of voting early because people should make the choice based off how they are feeling on election day?

None of that makes one bit of sense.
I'm just saying - an election should be about how people feel the day of the election, not the month before.

Yes, I am voting early, but that doesn't mean I have to support the concept of early voting. Should I wait until Election Day to vote to not be hypocritical? Maybe, but I might not have time to vote then and I will vote early as long as it's offered.

I do think Election Day voting should be made more convienent with expanded hours, being able to vote at places other than your precinct's designated polling place, etc.

Last edited by afoigrokerkok; 10-20-2012 at 11:42 PM..

Old 10-20-2012, 11:39 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,478,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I think most early voting just started this week, with about 3 weeks to go in a campaign that has already been too long. What about the overseas military who may not get to see the debates no matter? Should they not be allowed to vote?
Those in the military who are overseas are different. Of course they should be allowed to vote and they obviously need absentee ballots. Anyone who doesn't watch the debates should be allowed to vote if they choose, those I think people should try to watch them. I also think people should pay attention to the news, but I don't think those who fail to do so should be barred from voting.

I'm saying early voting or absentee ballots for people who don't *need* to vote early or via absentee ballot should not be allowed, because the election should be as best possible a representation of how people feel on Election Day, not the month before. Absolutely anything can happen. My opinion really doesn't have much to do with the debates specifically.

Old 10-21-2012, 12:19 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,220,208 times
Quote:
I'm just saying - an election should be about how people feel the day of the election, not the month before.

Yes, I am voting early, but that doesn't mean I have to support the concept of early voting. Should I wait until Election Day to vote to not be hypocritical? Maybe, but I might not have time to vote then and I will vote early as long as it's offered.

I do think Election Day voting should be made more convienent with expanded hours, being able to vote at places other than your precinct's designated polling place, etc.
You basically summed up why we have early voting, to make voting easier for people, which is the point.

I lived in a state that everyone voted by mail-in ballot, which allowed my to review everything on the ballot and make the best choices I could without ever feeling rushed. I personally think every state should be doing that instead.

Old 10-21-2012, 04:28 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,174,590 times
Quote:
Well I heard you are wrong, Obama isn't pulling out of NC....you just feel butt hurt cause I called you out on pointless hearsay.
I dont care what you heard. see, thats the difference.. I understand what you HEARD, isnt the truth..

And you're just upset because you needed schooled on the difference between fact, and what I CLEARLY said was something I HEARD..

Old 10-21-2012, 06:01 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,056,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
150,000 people in North Carolina voted early today and the numbers surpassed the first early voting day in 2008. In 2008, 117,000 people in NC voted early. Just as absentee ballots heavily favor republicans, early voting heavily favors democrats so it could be a sign that turn out will matter more than poll numbers. The more days people get to vote before election and the bigger those numbers are, the better for democrats.

150,000 North Carolinians vote on first day : News-Record.com : Greensboro & the Triad's most trusted source for local news and analysis
Who do you think votes during the day on a Thursday? I'm going with retirees and unemployed. That little extra - more unemployed.

Old 10-21-2012, 07:09 AM

39,093 posts, read 51,289,449 times
Quote:
You basically summed up why we have early voting, to make voting easier for people, which is the point.

I lived in a state that everyone voted by mail-in ballot, which allowed my to review everything on the ballot and make the best choices I could without ever feeling rushed. I personally think every state should be doing that instead.
Agree. We have mail voting (though you can still vote the old fashioned way if you want) and it does give you time to better research the referendums and some of the more obscure positions like commission members, school boards, etc that may actually make more of a difference in your life than the President does and your vote may really matter in the outcome. I would like to see internet voting as well. As someone said on this or another thread, if we can bank by internet we ought to be able to come up with a secure voting application as well.

Old 10-21-2012, 07:35 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,875,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
I dont care what you heard. see, thats the difference.. I understand what you HEARD, isnt the truth..

And you're just upset because you needed schooled on the difference between fact, and what I CLEARLY said was something I HEARD..
Actually, the rumor was that ROMNEY was pulling out of NC, but according to the Huppo, he says that's untrue. See how this works? It's like the old game of "Telephone" or "Gossip".

Old 10-21-2012, 07:41 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,543,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Actually, the rumor was that ROMNEY was pulling out of NC, but according to the Huppo, he says that's untrue. See how this works? It's like the old game of "Telephone" or "Gossip".
People take such announcements as a campaign worker changing hotels or moving to another state to oversee the operation there as meaning a candidate is "pulling out." It is silly any way you look at it.

The grassroots workers for both campaigns are solidly at work here in NC, whether any paid political advisors are onhand or not.

Of course, you know that -- so didn't mean to sound like this is directed at you, Katiana. But it is remarkable how many people out there take those small things to mean something big about a candidate's prospects.

Paid campaign workers are there to make sure engagements run smoothly and to keep messages going to the press. If you have good grassroots workers (and we do here in NC - both sides of the aisle) . . . paid workers should be spending their time where oversight is the most needed with a last minute push.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections