Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 08:47 PM

49 posts, read 91,592 times

Advertisements

I was going for Mike Gravel, but I seem to agree more with Ron Paul on issues more than any other candidate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2007, 02:40 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,234,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twojciac View Post
Look at his voting record if you have any questions. He is a man of his word and has been.
Have you compared these two voting records?

Ron Paul 2008 › Issues › Border Security and Immigration Reform

Wolves in Sheep's Clothing | Ron Paul votes FOR amnesty for illegal alliens

Old 10-13-2007, 03:33 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,208,866 times
After a search on this bill : H.RES.365 at the Library of Congress, I have the text of the bill and I would like for YOU to point out to ME where it gives amnesty to illegal aliens

Quote:
H.RES.365
Enhanced Border Security and Visa Entry Reform Act of 2002
(Agreed to by House)

SECTION 1. SHORT TITLE; TABLE OF CONTENTS.

Sec. 1. Short title.

Sec. 305. Improved training for consular officers.

Sec. 605. Report on aliens who fail to appear after release on own recognizance.

SEC. 2. DEFINITIONS.

TITLE I--FUNDING

SEC. 101. AUTHORIZATION OF APPROPRIATIONS FOR HIRING AND TRAINING GOVERNMENT PERSONNEL.

SEC. 102. AUTHORIZATION OF APPROPRIATIONS FOR IMPROVEMENTS IN TECHNOLOGY AND INFRASTRUCTURE.

SEC. 103. MACHINE-READABLE VISA FEES.

TITLE II--INTERAGENCY INFORMATION SHARING

SEC. 201. INTERIM MEASURES FOR ACCESS TO AND COORDINATION OF LAW ENFORCEMENT AND OTHER INFORMATION.

SEC. 202. INTEROPERABLE LAW ENFORCEMENT AND INTELLIGENCE DATA SYSTEM WITH NAME-MATCHING CAPACITY AND TRAINING.

SEC. 203. COMMISSION ON INTEROPERABLE DATA SHARING.

TITLE III--VISA ISSUANCE

SEC. 301. ELECTRONIC PROVISION OF VISA FILES.

SEC. 302. IMPLEMENTATION OF AN INTEGRATED ENTRY AND EXIT DATA SYSTEM.

SEC. 303. MACHINE-READABLE, TAMPER-RESISTANT ENTRY AND EXIT DOCUMENTS.

SEC. 304. TERRORIST LOOKOUT COMMITTEES.

SEC. 305. IMPROVED TRAINING FOR CONSULAR OFFICERS.

SEC. 306. RESTRICTION ON ISSUANCE OF VISAS TO NONIMMIGRANTS FROM COUNTRIES THAT ARE STATE SPONSORS OF INTERNATIONAL TERRORISM.

SEC. 307. DESIGNATION OF PROGRAM COUNTRIES UNDER THE VISA WAIVER PROGRAM.

SEC. 308. TRACKING SYSTEM FOR STOLEN PASSPORTS.

SEC. 309. IDENTIFICATION DOCUMENTS FOR CERTAIN NEWLY ADMITTED ALIENS.

TITLE IV--ADMISSION AND INSPECTION OF ALIENS

SEC. 401. STUDY OF THE FEASIBILITY OF A NORTH AMERICAN NATIONAL SECURITY PROGRAM.

SEC. 402. PASSENGER MANIFESTS.

SEC. 403. TIME PERIOD FOR INSPECTIONS.

TITLE V--FOREIGN STUDENTS AND EXCHANGE VISITORS

SEC. 501. FOREIGN STUDENT MONITORING PROGRAM.

SEC. 502. REVIEW OF INSTITUTIONS AND OTHER ENTITIES AUTHORIZED TO ENROLL OR SPONSOR CERTAIN NONIMMIGRANTS.

TITLE VI--MISCELLANEOUS PROVISIONS

SEC. 601. EXTENSION OF DEADLINE FOR IMPROVEMENT IN BORDER CROSSING IDENTIFICATION CARDS.

SEC. 602. GENERAL ACCOUNTING OFFICE STUDY.

SEC. 603. INTERNATIONAL COOPERATION.

SEC. 604. STATUTORY CONSTRUCTION.

SEC. 605. ANNUAL REPORT ON ALIENS WHO FAIL TO APPEAR AFTER RELEASE ON OWN RECOGNIZANCE.

SEC. 606. RETENTION OF NONIMMIGRANT VISA APPLICATIONS BY THE DEPARTMENT OF STATE.

SEC. 607. EXTENSION OF DEADLINE FOR CLASSIFICATION PETITION AND LABOR CERTIFICATION FILINGS.
Here is the link if you care to search for yourself.

Search Results - THOMAS (Library of Congress)

Old 10-13-2007, 04:43 PM

2,935 posts, read 6,721,643 times
I believe they're referring to Section 245i:

H.R. 1885 [107th]: Section 245(i) Extension Act of 2001 (GovTrack.us)

And the response from Ron Paul:

From The Office of Ron Paul: Regarding the extension of section 245(i) of the Immigration and Nationality Act, contained in the Enhanced Border Security and Visa Entry Reform Act (HR 1885).

Rest assured, I am against general amnesty for illegal aliens. Many have suggested that section 244(i) grants "amnesty" to illegal aliens, but this is not true. In fact, it only applies to that group of people who meet the following criteria: they are eleligilble for permanent residency status have lived in this country since Dec. 2000 their application is based on a family relationship that existed prior to Aug. 15, 2001 or on an application for labor certification that was processed before Aug. 15, 2001.

This bill will also allow those who are "waiting in line" for their application to be processed to remain in this country, provided they have a sponsor. In addition, they will be required to pay a penalty of $1000 before they can reapply.

Other provisions of HR 1885 will go a long way toward addressing your concerns regarding border control and security. For example this bill provides for at least 200 additional INS inspectors. and at least 200 additional investigators. It requires the establishment of a government-wide, electronic data-sharing system on persons with terrorist ties, that federal officials could use to determine whether to grant visa application or permit an individual to enter the U.S. In addition, the Justice Dept. will be required to establish a system to electronically track all foreign visa students in the United States. Finally, it would prohibit the issuance of temporary visas to citizens of nations considered to be state sponsors of terrorism, unless it has been determined that the alien does not pose a threat to the safety of American or U.S. national security.

What has not been discussed in the current debate regarding immigration reform is that, rather than luring immigrants to a land of opportunity, our present welfare states draws those from other jurisdictions who come for the security guaranteed by government forced transfer payments. Genuine immigration reform can only result from elimination of the current welfare state and a renewed embracement of the constitutional principles under which transfer payments were the exception rather than the rule. Such a renewal will not only attract the industrious, but will deter those migrants merely looking for a free ride on the backs of taxpayers.

It is an outrage for our government to invite people over here for the express purpose of providing them with taxpayer-funded assistance. Rest assured, I believe that immigrants should not receive any form of welfare or public assistance, and this is why I am cosponsoring HR 190, which would revoke the automatic citizenship, and thus right to welfare benefits, currently granted to the children of illegal immigrants.

Old 10-13-2007, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
After a search on this bill : H.RES.365 at the Library of Congress, I have the text of the bill and I would like for YOU to point out to ME where it gives amnesty to illegal aliens

Here is the link if you care to search for yourself.

Search Results - THOMAS (Library of Congress)
I haven't searched the Library of Congress, so there is a chance of my link being questionable (no guarantees really). However, I've seen the same info on other sites as well. It is something that can be checked and if somebody can confirm it one way or another, it'd be great. Don't have the time to go through my bookmarks right now, but I believe I had another article explaining the reasons (unfortunately can't remember them) his records appear to be clean on this issue. Just food for thought... Dig more. If I find it, I'll post it. I am interested in your link, but it doesn't open.

Anyway, there's plenty of time till elections. If he happens to get nominated, then we'll worry about it more.

Old 10-13-2007, 05:24 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,208,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
I haven't searched the Library of Congress, so there is a chance of my link being questionable (no guarantees really). However, I've seen the same info on other sites as well. It is something that can be checked and if somebody can confirm it one way or another, it'd be great. Don't have the time to go through my bookmarks right now, but I believe I had another article explaining the reasons (unfortunately can't remember them) his records appear to be clean on this issue. Just food for thought... Dig more. If I find it, I'll post it. I am interested in your link, but it doesn't open.

Anyway, there's plenty of time till elections. If he happens to get nominated, then we'll worry about it more.
After clicking the link it was only related to "my" search but you can click at the top and enter in whatever bill you like to get the results. My apologies.

Of late, I have watched the shills attempt to paint Dr. Ron Paul in as poor a light as possible. I have heard all the stories about his make believe base of support being little more than three guys in their parents basement spamming polling sites, to a press release that apparently one of his staffers wrote like 15 years ago that was inappropriate, to the latest pathetic attempt to show where Ron Paul is somehow associated or endorsed by some neonazi group. I figure that if Ron Paul was such a has been also ran candidate than so many say, they would not spend so much of their time trying to denounce him. You may not have realized that there have been a growing number of emails being passed around much like what you posted that refer to some bill in Congress that is contrary to his claims but often when people take the time to closely look, they will find that all I have seen so far are bunk.

If people are looking for the perfect messiah to deliver them from the current state of affairs, then they are doing so in vain as no candidate is capable of this. If folks would like an alternative to more of the same in Washington, then by all means take the time to watch a few of the latest videos posted here that not only discuss his ideas but also how he plans to implement them.

I openly challenge ANY other candidate to display a more consistent voting record in accordance with what they claim, regardless of party.

Old 10-13-2007, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twojciac View Post
I believe they're referring to Section 245i:

H.R. 1885 [107th]: Section 245(i) Extension Act of 2001 (GovTrack.us)

And the response from Ron Paul:

From The Office of Ron Paul: Regarding the extension of section 245(i) of the Immigration and Nationality Act, contained in the Enhanced Border Security and Visa Entry Reform Act (HR 1885).

Rest assured, I am against general amnesty for illegal aliens. Many have suggested that section 244(i) grants "amnesty" to illegal aliens, but this is not true. In fact, it only applies to that group of people who meet the following criteria: they are eleligilble for permanent residency status have lived in this country since Dec. 2000 their application is based on a family relationship that existed prior to Aug. 15, 2001 or on an application for labor certification that was processed before Aug. 15, 2001.

This bill will also allow those who are "waiting in line" for their application to be processed to remain in this country, provided they have a sponsor. In addition, they will be required to pay a penalty of $1000 before they can reapply.

Other provisions of HR 1885 will go a long way toward addressing your concerns regarding border control and security. For example this bill provides for at least 200 additional INS inspectors. and at least 200 additional investigators. It requires the establishment of a government-wide, electronic data-sharing system on persons with terrorist ties, that federal officials could use to determine whether to grant visa application or permit an individual to enter the U.S. In addition, the Justice Dept. will be required to establish a system to electronically track all foreign visa students in the United States. Finally, it would prohibit the issuance of temporary visas to citizens of nations considered to be state sponsors of terrorism, unless it has been determined that the alien does not pose a threat to the safety of American or U.S. national security.

What has not been discussed in the current debate regarding immigration reform is that, rather than luring immigrants to a land of opportunity, our present welfare states draws those from other jurisdictions who come for the security guaranteed by government forced transfer payments. Genuine immigration reform can only result from elimination of the current welfare state and a renewed embracement of the constitutional principles under which transfer payments were the exception rather than the rule. Such a renewal will not only attract the industrious, but will deter those migrants merely looking for a free ride on the backs of taxpayers.

It is an outrage for our government to invite people over here for the express purpose of providing them with taxpayer-funded assistance. Rest assured, I believe that immigrants should not receive any form of welfare or public assistance, and this is why I am cosponsoring HR 190, which would revoke the automatic citizenship, and thus right to welfare benefits, currently granted to the children of illegal immigrants.
Yes, that's what they're referring to:

(2) Paul voted in 1997, 2001( H.R. 1885) and 2002 (H RES 365) to grant, extend or continue Section 245-i amnesties for illegal aliens.

Because all illegal alien amnesty bills during the past 5 years have originated in the Senate rather than the House, Congressman Paul hasn't been put in a position of casting a publicly-recorded vote on illegal alien amnesty since 2002.

Federal Observer Articles - Federal Observer

Anyway, I don't have any strong feelings about any of the candidates and don't even plan on voting in the next or any consequent elections. What I can't believe is that people still waste their time debating party lines, platforms, issues, voting records, potential messiahs like Ron Paul, and you name it, when it does NOT matter. No messiah will ever be nominated, much less elected. I'd be actually concerned the most if Ron Paul does get nominated.

Old 10-13-2007, 08:01 PM

555 posts, read 2,214,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grew-up-3rd-culture View Post
After much research, I'm deciding to vote for Ron Paul. He holds many views I hold. I can look past is isolationistic dreams for the U.S. if he still holds true to his other ideals. Pro's and con's.
Me too. After considering all the candidates, Ron Paul seems like the best candidate. I like a lot of his stands. I don't think he cares enough about the uninsured Americans as far as healthcare goes, but that is not an issue that would be solved any time soon no matter who is president. The main thing is - I hope he gets us out of Iraq and really cracks down on illegal immigrants and all their perks.

Old 10-13-2007, 09:01 PM

1,058 posts, read 3,490,814 times
Ron Paul should run for president as an independent if he doesn't get the Republican nomination.

Old 10-13-2007, 09:40 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,250,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbres View Post
Ron Paul should run for president as an independent if he doesn't get the Republican nomination.
I'm certain that Hillary completely agrees with you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections