U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2012, 01:25 PM

6 posts, read 8,229 times

Advertisements

Which candidate will help the low income disabled & low income seniors get out of poverty? If someone could figure a way to help disabled, low income seniors & low income people who can't be trained (there are some people who can't be trained) . I think we could reduce drastically Medicaid & food stamp and possible reduce the deficit in the long run. I talked to people that are low income & disabled, they don't want to be in poverty. From watching the Vice President debate. The way I understood him, he said he would eliminate poverty (I don‘t necessarily believe that) by giving everyone decent paying jobs. What I think should happen, The minimum amount for SSI, SSD, SS retirement, Railroad & Veteran benefits be equal to a full time minimum wage job (40 hours). Each state should chip in funding. We are the United States. From my understand Romney wants to cut SSI, which I think is terrible and is impossible. After doing research on Social Security. Congress really has no say except for the increasing benefits, increasing retirement age & increasing funding. They can suggest other changes but it is still up to the Social Security board. There is no oversight for Social Security. They don’t answer to no one but themselves. They are independent agency like the post office.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2012, 01:26 PM

26,762 posts, read 32,409,594 times
how do you define poverty?

Old 10-25-2012, 01:43 PM

I guess I am basing it on SSI criteria. A very long time ago. When SSI first came out it was equal to a full time minimum wage job if I read the report correctly. SSI is no long equal to a full time minimum wage job as of today.

I also define poverty as people that are not in either the middle class or upper class as defined on the news.

Old 10-25-2012, 01:56 PM

6,106 posts, read 5,308,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickd View Post
Which candidate will help the low income disabled & low income seniors get out of poverty? If someone could figure a way to help disabled, low income seniors & low income people who can't be trained (there are some people who can't be trained) . I think we could reduce drastically Medicaid & food stamp and possible reduce the deficit in the long run. I talked to people that are low income & disabled, they don't want to be in poverty. From watching the Vice President debate. The way I understood him, he said he would eliminate poverty (I don‘t necessarily believe that) by giving everyone decent paying jobs. What I think should happen, The minimum amount for SSI, SSD, SS retirement, Railroad & Veteran benefits be equal to a full time minimum wage job (40 hours). Each state should chip in funding. We are the United States. From my understand Romney wants to cut SSI, which I think is terrible and is impossible. After doing research on Social Security. Congress really has no say except for the increasing benefits, increasing retirement age & increasing funding. They can suggest other changes but it is still up to the Social Security board. There is no oversight for Social Security. They don’t answer to no one but themselves. They are independent agency like the post office.

My answer is neither candidate will secure a properous future for the poor or disabled becuase employers simply won't employ such people who really bring nothing to the job or will be a costly burden on the enterprise. Do you know what would happen to an employers expense for health insurance if he had employees who are disabled or chronically ill? Why would a businessman see reduced prohits or increased expenses when he doesn't have too? You think they are that stupid?

Old 10-25-2012, 02:14 PM

75,909 posts, read 88,791,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwruckman View Post
My answer is neither candidate will secure a properous future for the poor or disabled becuase employers simply won't employ such people who really bring nothing to the job or will be a costly burden on the enterprise. Do you know what would happen to an employers expense for health insurance if he had employees who are disabled or chronically ill? Why would a businessman see reduced prohits or increased expenses when he doesn't have too? You think they are that stupid?
I am inclined to agree with you. The elderly, living on SS will never get out of their situation unless they inherit a fortune or something. People who have lived for years, barely existing will continue to do so. Chronically ill people that same. The hope is for, training and helping the young develop skills that will give them a chance in life. If we keep giving them everything, they will never learn to survive on their own. Ronald Reagan said, there will always be a certain number of people (I don't remember the %) that will live off the government, many because they have no choice. We have always had poor people, people living in the projects as we used to call them and this will continue. I don't think any of us can expect this to change. In a perfect world there would be no poverty, but it existed during the biblical days, before the biblical days (remember the story of Ruth) and will continue. It isn't the place of the government to save everybody, but making those less fortunate more comfortable, that is a different story. I think charities help a lot..

Old 10-25-2012, 03:55 PM

53,135 posts, read 37,311,414 times
Reportedly the average for SS income is about $14,700 a year. Assuming it's the person's only income, it is not taxed.

$8.25 is minimum wage in my state. Assuming a 40 hour week X 52 weeks, gross income is $17,160 taxable.

Both incomes are above poverty level for a family of one although they qualify as low income and likely eligible for Section 8 and Snap food benefits.

I cannot imagine it is possible to lift people out of poverty during the last 15-20 years of their lives no different than those who are permanently disabled, regardless of age.

When Social Security was first created, the average life expectancy was 59. It was intended as an end of life suppliment. Applying the original logic, SS would kick in at about age 85, based on current life expectancy.

Old 10-25-2012, 03:57 PM

13,693 posts, read 16,365,161 times
If we stopped paying healthcare, housing, food and education for illegals, and we got people who can work off of entitlement programs, we could better take care of our elderly, our disabled, and our veterans.

Old 10-25-2012, 04:00 PM

40,729 posts, read 21,932,820 times
No social security raise for 2010 and 2011 (during Obama presidency). People collecting Social Security checks got some tough news to swallow in October: Their annual cost of living raises for 2013 will be among the smallest ever.

The Social Security Administration announced today that the annual cost-of-living adjustment (or COLA) for next year will be 1.7%. For the average Social Security beneficiary, who gets about $1,130 per month, a 1.7% raise would increase the monthly check by $19.21. That is NOT a meaningful raise.

Do you think that is an adequate raise to keep up with the cost of gas and rising prices? I truly feel bad for the elderly. Is Obama really a defender of the poor and the middle class? A Retiree's living on fixed incomes are broke and Obama says trust him.

Old 10-25-2012, 04:09 PM

40,729 posts, read 21,932,820 times
The "only" anti-poverty plan is capitalism. Romney is a better choice. At minimum with growth of the economy, increase in government money and less abled bodied people collecting welfare and family will have jobs you can also get help from them.

Broaden the tax paying base, get people who can work and who want to work off the government payrolls decreasing government expenses and increase government revenue. This is what I have always said, people can work but who refuse to work are a burden and a huge expense and are only cutting into the money that should go to the elderly and people who are unable to work.

I have elderly parents and understand what you are saying. Until then sir, I pray you get more help.

Old 10-25-2012, 04:19 PM

petch751, I am not talking about people taking advantage of the system. I am talking about low income seniors & low income disabled, those people can’t get jobs (or good paying jobs) or the senior that wants to retire. Seniors shouldn’t be forced to work tell they die. Do you really want a senior flying a plane, driving a train or bus? (Disclaimer, I know not all seniors have health problems). Not everybody has close family. Some families never get along.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or