Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2012, 03:12 PM

9,701 posts, read 5,119,900 times

Advertisements

I gave it some time to see if any Republicans would have the decency to say that this was a poorly worded statement and insist an apology should be made. This would at least add some credibility to their party's claim that they don't send out racially coded messages to rile up the racists in their fold.

I'm talking about Sarah Palin 'calling out' Obama for 'shucking & jiving' and then having the gall to claim that there's 'nothing remotely racist' about saying a Black person is shucking & jiving. It's pretty much understood that Palin is an idiot, so I don't put it past her that she doesn't know the racial history of that term as a characterization of Blacks as lazy liars. But that doesn't change that it's a historical fact. And being presented w/ that fact, she has an obligation to recognize that she messed up.

Instead, she wants to ignore the whole of history to maintain this Republican mentality of being blind to racism even when using historically racist language. And then Republicans as a whole feign outrage over Blacks not supporting their party when obvious errors like this are not only go unretracted, they get defended.

So I'll ask again, since every time I do the Republicans on here remain eerily silent: WHAT ARE REPUBLICANS DOING TO MAKE BLACK PEOPLE THINK THEY ARE NOT A PARTY OF RACIST?

For the sake of comparison, a prominent White Democrat politician used the same phrase to describe Obama's actions. He thought it was synonymous w/ 'bob & weave.' When he learned it wasn't, he apologized and explained that he didn't know the history.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2012, 03:20 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,146,110 times
Here's what i'm doing to make you understand i'm not a racist: I'm asking you and every other black person to denounce Al Sharpton, Jesse Jackson, Julian Bond, Ben Jealous, Maxine Waters, John Lewis, the entire Congressional Black Congress, etc. to prove to us that you really are concerned about racists in our society. These whoppers don't deserve your worship, but yet you do it anyway.

Until you can unshackle yourselves from those who insist you remain the Lowest Common Denominator, I see no reason to take your recalcitrance against conservatives seriously.

Old 10-25-2012, 03:22 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,906,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
I gave it some time to see if any Republicans would have the decency to say that this was a poorly worded statement and insist an apology should be made. This would at least add some credibility to their party's claim that they don't send out racially coded messages to rile up the racists in their fold.

I'm talking about Sarah Palin 'calling out' Obama for 'shucking & jiving' and then having the gall to claim that there's 'nothing remotely racist' about saying a Black person is shucking & jiving. It's pretty much understood that Palin is an idiot, so I don't put it past her that she doesn't know the racial history of that term as a characterization of Blacks as lazy liars. But that doesn't change that it's a historical fact. And being presented w/ that fact, she has an obligation to recognize that she messed up.

Instead, she wants to ignore the whole of history to maintain this Republican mentality of being blind to racism even when using historically racist language. And then Republicans as a whole feign outrage over Blacks not supporting their party when obvious errors like this are not only go unretracted, they get defended.

So I'll ask again, since every time I do the Republicans on here remain eerily silent: WHAT ARE REPUBLICANS DOING TO MAKE BLACK PEOPLE THINK THEY ARE NOT A PARTY OF RACIST?

For the sake of comparison, a prominent White Democrat politician used the same phrase to describe Obama's actions. He thought it was synonymous w/ 'bob & weave.' When he learned it wasn't, he apologized and explained that he didn't know the history.

More race-based politics from the left.

Old 10-25-2012, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Here's what i'm doing to make you understand i'm not a racist: I'm asking you and every other black person to denounce Al Sharpton, Jesse Jackson, Julian Bond, Ben Jealous, Maxine Waters, John Lewis, the entire Congressional Black Congress, etc. to prove to us that you really are concerned about racists in our society. These whoppers don't deserve your worship, but yet you do it anyway.

Until you can unshackle yourselves from those who insist you remain the Lowest Common Denominator, I see no reason to take your recalcitrance against conservatives seriously.
Since this is a pathetic attempt to bait & switch, I'll ask again, what have Republicans done to show Black Americans that they are not a party of racists?

Old 10-25-2012, 03:27 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,906,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
Since this is a pathetic attempt to bait & switch, I'll ask again, what have Republicans done to show Black Americans that they are not a party of racists?
They freed the slaves.

Old 10-25-2012, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
More race-based politics from the left.
Lol... another one of you Conservative posers that claim you would have embraced MLK's message, yet anytime a charge to denounce racist language comes up, you're the first ones to say that's racist. Keep at it...

Old 10-25-2012, 03:29 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,223,095 times
Well, a thread on this topic has already be locked, but here goes...

Shuck and Jive...
Quote:
In 2008, then-New York Attorney General Andrew Cuomo said of Barack Obama: "You can't shuck and jive at a press conference."
- - - - -
On September 7, 2011, Jay Carney, a spokesman for Matthews' beloved Obama, told the press corps, "Sorry. I'm going to shuck and jive! Time to shuck and jive."
- - - - -
On Wednesday, Hardball guest Jonathan Alter, a former Newsweek editor, railed against Palin, "...Shuck and jive, that's like talking about watermelon... for Jews, talking about Jews are greedy or the Irish are drunk."
- - - - -
On July 7, 2010, Matthews, while talking to Rachel Maddow about her visit to Afghanistan, wondered, "What has it been like, as you shuck and jive, hang out with the men over there, the women over there, in uniform risking their lives every day?" The late Tim Russert also used the term on July 18, 2003.
...apparently it's racist only when conservatives say it.

WHAT IS ??? WHO ??? DOING TO MAKE BLACK PEOPLE THINK THEY ARE NOT A PARTY OF RACIST?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
They freed the slaves.
How sad is it that you have to look back almost 150 years to find a credible example of Republicans reaching out to Black America.

14,292 posts, read 9,689,044 times
Take it however you like, but in the modern era that term has grown to mean any person who is trying to talk themselves out of a tight spot or to avoid being criticized for something they said or did.

Old 10-25-2012, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofurkey View Post
Well, a thread on this topic has already be locked, but here goes...

Shuck and Jive...
...apparently it's racist only when conservatives say it.
Aside from the fact that Cuomo APOLOGIZED b/c he didn't know that was the history of the word...

Aside from the fact that the others were talking about White people...

You have a point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections