Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2012, 10:37 PM

3,352 posts, read 6,682,450 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
Third party gets 7% of the vote and the supporters of these candidate would otherwise support Romney. If these candidates weren't running that 7% would go to Romney
Now, how do you know that? How do you know the 3P voters simply wouldn't vote if given no other options?

I realize Goode appeals to hardcore conservative Christians, but libertarians are just as liberal on social issues as they are conservative on fiscal matters. And I have to assume the people voting for Goode and Johnson are doing so because they don't find either major-party candidate satisfactory.

I've just never understood this whole "a vote for this guy is a vote for that other guy" line of thinking. I realize our two-party, first-past-the-post system encourages that kind of outlook, but I'm not sure it's true. I'm voting for Johnson, but I'd never in a million years give my vote to Romney. He's done nothing to earn it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2012, 10:50 PM

3,352 posts, read 6,682,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyForever View Post
Yep. The republicans had a chance to keep me and MANY others that are voting Libertarian as republican voters but they chose a liberal flip flopper instead of a true Conservative.No one to blame but themselves.
Totally agree. They made their bed. Now they can lie in it.

Ron Paul was drawing from disaffected voters on both the right (mostly over the economy) and the left (mostly over foreign policy). I think he would have bought in a lot of swing voters, and we know he would have brought in the conservative-leaning libertarians. And if he'd been the nominee, the party faithful obviously would have rallied around him.

Instead, the GOP fought tooth and nail against Paul and insisted on nominating an empty suit who can't even get the party faithful excited, let alone swing voters. When the best argument people can give you for Romney is "he's not Obama," you don't have much of a candidate.

Enjoy the Obama re-election, GOP.

Old 10-28-2012, 11:52 PM

30 posts, read 26,649 times
Its frustrating. This should've been a slam dunk election for the GOP had they been able to nominate someone worth voting for. Obama has a horrible record and doesn't deserve a 2nd term, but the GOP in all their wisdom can't even find a guy who can beat him. Its really a sad state of affairs.

Old 10-29-2012, 03:32 PM

1,966 posts, read 4,359,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
actually he might not even do as well in NM as some think, but yes, he will do better there than most states. He was a popular governor...

To golfinvova: are you saying in NV in the general election they actually hand out ballots based on party? Or are you saying, that is how many Republican versus Democrats, have voted early? Also it is important to realize, not all people vote according to their party affiliation.
That is ballots counted through the 23rd. 106,000 ballots counted including 24,000 absentee ballots. I would agree that not everyone votes for their party affiliation; however, the unions have done a big job of getting the vote out for Obama plus Obama continues to come here. He was here last Wednesday and I just read he will be here again on Thursday

Johnson was just here last Friday and Saturday but his numbers are holding good so far. Received the same percentage in northern Nevada (Washoe County) whereas it's a tie between Obama and Romney.

Old 10-29-2012, 03:35 PM

3,620 posts, read 3,851,711 times
i know the GOP is scared as hell in virginia, as they tried hard as hell to keep goode off the ballot.

Old 10-29-2012, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian71 View Post
Now, how do you know that? How do you know the 3P voters simply wouldn't vote if given no other options?

I realize Goode appeals to hardcore conservative Christians, but libertarians are just as liberal on social issues as they are conservative on fiscal matters. And I have to assume the people voting for Goode and Johnson are doing so because they don't find either major-party candidate satisfactory.

I've just never understood this whole "a vote for this guy is a vote for that other guy" line of thinking. I realize our two-party, first-past-the-post system encourages that kind of outlook, but I'm not sure it's true. I'm voting for Johnson, but I'd never in a million years give my vote to Romney. He's done nothing to earn it.
So true but I hear it all the time, "a vote for Johnson is a vote for Obamney" nonsense. Or they compare Johnson to Perot/Nader, they fail to realize the fact that there is NO WAY to say beyond a shadow of a doubt that if Johnson wasn't in the race I would instead vote for either Obama or Romney. I would have gone with the "none of the above" option that we have here or I would have abstained so how is that a vote for either Obama or Romney?

One thing is for certain, nothing is going to change until we get out of the duopoly game. The 2 parties are only interested in their own interests not for the interests of the people.

Old 10-29-2012, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian71 View Post
Totally agree. They made their bed. Now they can lie in it.

Ron Paul was drawing from disaffected voters on both the right (mostly over the economy) and the left (mostly over foreign policy). I think he would have bought in a lot of swing voters, and we know he would have brought in the conservative-leaning libertarians. And if he'd been the nominee, the party faithful obviously would have rallied around him.

Instead, the GOP fought tooth and nail against Paul and insisted on nominating an empty suit who can't even get the party faithful excited, let alone swing voters. When the best argument people can give you for Romney is "he's not Obama," you don't have much of a candidate.

Enjoy the Obama re-election, GOP.
Yep, completely agree with that. The GOP had the election in the bag with Dr. Paul and they whizzed it right away instead going with another weak candidate who agrees with Obama on so many issues that aside from the obvious there really is no difference between Obama and Romney.

Bad enough they chose Romney then they went all thuggery on the Paul delegation sealed their fate!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections